General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User elevator
(member) Thu 23-Jan-14 18:19:42
Print Post

Re: Did you find upgrading to fibre worth while?

[re: logansfolly] [link to this post]

Went from 7 down to 38 down about 9 up, then changed to 80/20 now 74 down and 18 up.

Upgrade every time

[img]

Edited by elevator (Thu 23-Jan-14 18:21:39)

Standard User logansfolly
(newbie) Fri 24-Jan-14 08:33:58
Print Post

[re: elevator] [link to this post]

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I have used the post code checker (and what feels like detective work!) and i am indeed connected to cabinet 29 which is around 500 meters or so from my front door.

I am happy that provided the 'line fault' is fixed, my upgrade will be totally worth while. I go live on Thursday the 30th and will report back with my speed's.

Cheers all.
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Fri 24-Jan-14 09:59:47
Print Post

Still be wary!!

The local FTTC is being installed about 10 Metres from my front door, where the my copper phone line enters my house.

The PCP for my line is about 50 Metres away, further north from the Exchange - BUT my line from that PCP goes about 150 Metres east, crossing under the road "somewhere", to a small junction box mounted on the wall of a "near" neighbour's house, before coming back to my front door - basically all of it underground and installed whilst the houses were being built, so no in-filled trench signs etc to give more precise details.

However, it does mean that if I do get FTTC/VDSL installed, although the local source/FTTC cabinet is only 10 Metres away, the VDSL signal will have trudged about 360 Metres to get here!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User logansfolly
(newbie) Fri 24-Jan-14 12:19:48
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
Still be wary!!

The local FTTC is being installed about 10 Metres from my front door, where the my copper phone line enters my house.

The PCP for my line is about 50 Metres away, further north from the Exchange - BUT my line from that PCP goes about 150 Metres east, crossing under the road "somewhere", to a small junction box mounted on the wall of a "near" neighbour's house, before coming back to my front door - basically all of it underground and installed whilst the houses were being built, so no in-filled trench signs etc to give more precise details.

However, it does mean that if I do get FTTC/VDSL installed, although the local source/FTTC cabinet is only 10 Metres away, the VDSL signal will have trudged about 360 Metres to get here!

WOW!! Thanks for the info. I know nothing is as easy as it seems/looks in the world of broadband!? Needless to say i'll keep everything crossed!!
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Fri 24-Jan-14 12:50:54
Print Post

Another example of nothing being straight forward. Where my parents live the exchange is at the bottom of their garden yet the their phone line is 1.2 Km long. The PCP they are connected to is on the main road bout 800m away as the cables run.
Standard User neo_wales14
(newbie) Fri 24-Jan-14 13:35:36
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

So you pay more for a 10mb/s wireless link than you would for a much faster FTTC just because the majority of ISP's use BT infrastructure? Are you not 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' there? I can't fathom your logic to be honest.

Wireless could be a real bonus if you lived out in the sticks and could not afford the faster satellite services available but I can't understand you opting for it when better services are readily available to you.

All the best

Bob in Wales
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 24-Jan-14 15:55:26
Print Post

[re: neo_wales14] [link to this post]

His cabinet was delayed for a long time, in the end he went for allpay wireless, the cabinet went live soon afterwards IIRC.

I feel he's constantly trying to self justify his decision.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jan-14 09:22:12
Print Post

[re: neo_wales14] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by neo_wales14:
So you pay more for a 10mb/s wireless link than you would for a much faster FTTC just because the majority of ISP's use BT infrastructure? Are you not 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' there? I can't fathom your logic to be honest.

Wireless could be a real bonus if you lived out in the sticks and could not afford the faster satellite services available but I can't understand you opting for it when better services are readily available to you.

You know full well from the other forum my reasons. At least with who I am with now i don't get any thing blocked, no filters, no Chinese servers to go through like Talk Talk. Before you say it, i know you can switch off home safe, but your data still goes though Chinese servers. No stupid BT profiling.

Unless there is a problem, which is very rare, I get the speed i pay for.

You know full well, what I think of bloated toad as a company. vile company,

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jan-14 10:07:36
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
His cabinet was delayed for a long time, in the end he went for allpay wireless, the cabinet went live soon afterwards IIRC.

I feel he's constantly trying to self justify his decision.

I don't have to justify anything to myself or anyone, but I will, just for you.

I did not just go out one day and say, oh I think I will go with Allpay. I have wanted to get rid of BT infrastructure for a while, I don't see the sense in having and paying for a phone line I don't use. but the only option was 3G, expensive and not that reliable.

As you said, FTTc was taking ages around here, BT was pushing it backwards time and time again, I was pretty sure I did not want FTTC anyway and at that time it was far too expensive.
I went into town to meet a friend for coffee on a Saturday, Allpay had one of their vans there, so after a chinwag I had a thought about it for a few weeks and then decided to go for the 5Mb/s service. Cheaper than what I was paying with ADSL24 by a squid and a higher speed, buy 1-2 Megabits, also get rid of the phone line would save me another £12 a month. The only downfall was the installation cost and the 2 year contract. i had a visit from a rep, had another chinwag, agreed a date for installation.

The day they installed it, the rain was pouring down, with thunder and lightning. I would not have liked to be on that roof in that weather, but they done it and i got a longer pole for my TV aerial, which was not and still not used anyway, but it is in a better place.

I decided a few months after to pay a bit extra and up the speed to 10, Still paying a little bit less than I was for 3Mb/s and a phone line. I still got VoIP, so i still got a home number so my Dad can phone me and that it cost me nothing unless I use it, i stuck a tenner on it 18 months ago, something like that and still got £8 or so on it.

Yes, a few weeks after FTTC up here was put in place. My next door neighbour had it late last year and to be honest i am not that impressed with it, they get about 20Mb/s, with it, ok it is faster than their 2Mb/s they had before, not sure if it is worth it for them since they only use the net once in a blue moon. But for that they are paying more than me for another 10Mb/s than me, if they get it.

i got the Wi-fi ket for their network as I keep a eye on things for them, so do a speed est now and again, I just done it now to see if they are any faster, and I today at this moment they are getting a ping of 1021, wow that is a shock. i know my pings are not low, but i expect that. a fdownload speed of 0..43 and a upload speed of 0.31.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3257458092

Just put myself back on my own network

45ms ping, 11.43Mb/s download and 1.45Mb/s upload

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3257462926 it comes up as Zen as allpay uses Zen.

I presume Bt must have a problem, that is normal to be honest, but I have doen tests where they get about 20 and that is it.

The only great advantage I would have by going FTTC is upload speed.

Never going to say it will never happen, but i am happy with the service I get and if I need to cut back money wise I can just go back to 5Mb/s which to be honest will still do the job and i can still watch netflix, even in HD, but not super high and not 1080.

I think I made the right choice, it is not for everyone, but it does what I want and i can understand why people go for FTTC as long as it works.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 25-Jan-14 15:13:34
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

That speed test indicates a wired test needs doing, that's all, to see if there are issues that need to be addressed. You ought to go and help them, making sure pukka BT and tbb tests are done.

There's so obviously something not right with that test.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to