General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Jan-14 15:19:42
Print Post

Re: Did you find upgrading to fibre worth while?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm sure we've been through this before with him, that there is something wrong with his neighbours connection. Even on wireless it shouldn't be that bad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jan-14 15:32:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That speed test indicates a wired test needs doing, that's all, to see if there are issues that need to be addressed. You ought to go and help them, making sure pukka BT and tbb tests are done.

There's so obviously something not right with that test.

Um, yes it is not normally that bad, i just doen another test and it is better, so I presuem there was certainly a Bt problem.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3258080911

Still not what I think as super fast to be honest.

there own computer is connected via ethernet, but they still come back with the same speed as I get via wi-fi.

so much for the 40Mb/s we was promised we would around here.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User neo_wales14
(newbie) Sat 25-Jan-14 17:06:05
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
That speed test indicates a wired test needs doing, that's all, to see if there are issues that need to be addressed. You ought to go and help them, making sure pukka BT and tbb tests are done.

There's so obviously something not right with that test.

Um, yes it is not normally that bad, i just doen another test and it is better, so I presuem there was certainly a Bt problem.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3258080911

Still not what I think as super fast to be honest.

there own computer is connected via ethernet, but they still come back with the same speed as I get via wi-fi.

so much for the 40Mb/s we was promised we would around here.

It may well have been a BT problem but accessing your neighbours internet from next door via wireless will never be a true reading.

All the best

Bob in Wales

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 25-Jan-14 17:21:11
Print Post

[re: neo_wales14] [link to this post]

No different from accessing your own surely? Next door's router could be within a few feet in a semi-detached or terraced house, whereas your own could be a floor or two up/down and diagonally across the house through goodness know what barriers.

I have a friend who until he realised what was going on frequently found he was unable to access his email after switching his computer on. In the end he spotted that a speed test referred to the wrong ISP.

His USB cable-connected Wifi unit was on his window-ledge at the back of his house. His router was in the same room but the other side of his midi-tower computer. It was picking up the unsecured router in the house behind his, two x 15 metre gardens away, if that was on when he started his machine up.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Timalay
(experienced) Sat 25-Jan-14 20:48:23
Print Post

[re: logansfolly] [link to this post]

Yes and no.

Basically before I upgraded my current ISP (Plusnet) only offered a 60GB usage allowance. Which I was just going over monthly. So going over to their fibre package with greater usage allowance was a must for me.
What I am using it for (Steaming), I would have been fine on my old adsl connection (around 8Mbps).
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 25-Jan-14 20:54:29
Print Post

[re: Timalay] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Timalay:
What I am using it for (Steaming), I would have been fine on my old adsl connection (around 8Mbps).
Steaming vegetables?

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jan-14 21:17:46
Print Post

No different from accessing your own surely? Next door's router could be within a few feet in a semi-detached or terraced house, whereas your own could be a floor or two up/down and diagonally across the house through goodness know what barriers.

I have a friend who until he realised what was going on frequently found he was unable to access his email after switching his computer on. In the end he spotted that a speed test referred to the wrong ISP.

His USB cable-connected Wifi unit was on his window-ledge at the back of his house. His router was in the same room but the other side of his midi-tower computer. It was picking up the unsecured router in the house behind his, two x 15 metre gardens away, if that was on when he started his machine up.

100% correct, my next door neighbours router is closer to my computer than my router. Two walls stand between where I am now and their router and their router is just on the other side of the wall.
Anyway, i have tested their speed before on their own machine which is connected via Ethernet and gets around the same speed of around 20Mb/s
My wi-fi can go a lot higher than what FTTC maximum is, certainly the distance I am away from their router.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User Timalay
(experienced) Sun 26-Jan-14 12:54:51
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Shush you tongue
Standard User logansfolly
(newbie) Tue 04-Feb-14 09:58:10
Print Post

[re: Timalay] [link to this post]

Hey just wanted to report back on my upgrade so far...

Went live on fibre around lunch time on my switch over day. Sky text and emailed to say i was now on there fibre network so to speak. Was looking forward to getting home and having a 'surf' and had a few things to download on my ps4.

I got home to find my speed at around 1-2 mgbs!!! i was worried to say the least!! Tried another test and looked at my connect through my router. Sky was say the router was reciving 40mgbs. But the line would fluctuate over a setttling in period. I didn't realise fibre had that settle peiod. It stayed at 1-2 mgbs until i turned my landline phone on and then it shot up to 25-28 mgbs!!

Should my landline phone make a difference because it's seemed too? No big deal as i do keep it on obviously but i was suprised that it made such a change t the broadband speed.

I still am in the settle down period but the speeds are around 20 mgbs. Hopefully the'll get nearer the forty most of my speed indicators reported i 'might get'.

Sky have been good during my change over.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Feb-14 11:07:30
Print Post

[re: logansfolly] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by logansfolly:
I got home to find my speed at around 1-2 mgbs!!! i was worried to say the least!! Tried another test and looked at my connect through my router. Sky was say the router was reciving 40mgbs. But the line would fluctuate over a setttling in period. I didn't realise fibre had that settle peiod. It stayed at 1-2 mgbs until i turned my landline phone on and then it shot up to 25-28 mgbs!!

As you have a wires-only install, any problems caused by your own wiring (which might include big speed drops) are not fixed frown

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to