General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User logansfolly
(newbie) Tue 21-Jan-14 10:42:23
Print Post

Did you find upgrading to fibre worth while?

[link to this post]

HI, New Here so Go easy!!

I am with Sky broadband. I have a line estmate of 2.5 mbs. I get 0.85mbs on speed test... stable yet very slow.

I have now upgraded to fibre and am trying to find what speed i'll actually get!? Sky are saying 40mbs but it could be as low as 15!?!

I would like other peoples experance in upgrading.. will it make a huge difference in speed. I know it's fttc fibre broadband and have no clue when my fttc cabinet is!?!

Look forward to reading replies.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Jan-14 10:50:23
Print Post

Re: Did you find upgrading to fibre worth while?

[re: logansfolly] [link to this post]

Previous ADSL/ADSL2+ speeds are no indicator to what speeds you will get on FTTC.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html and pick the Address Checker, what speeds does it estimate for FTTC. Until you are live and able to run speed tests that is the best estimate you will get.

As for other peoples experiences it ranges from 'was slower than ADSL2+' to 'went from 1 Mbps to 60 Mbps'

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Tue 21-Jan-14 11:00:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Previous ADSL/ADSL2+ speeds are no indicator to what speeds you will get on FTTC.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html and pick the Address Checker, what speeds does it estimate for FTTC. Until you are live and able to run speed tests that is the best estimate you will get.

As for other peoples experiences it ranges from 'was slower than ADSL2+' to 'went from 1 Mbps to 60 Mbps'

Ok thanks for the reply. I have struggled to find any 'experances' of upgrades just lots of people saying in forums they have..!!

I go live next friday and will see how we go. Fingers crossed

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User smouty
(regular) Tue 21-Jan-14 13:30:59
Print Post

Hi,
Sorry if this is not news but I don't know how much you know about FTTC.
The C in FTTC is for cabinet and this is where your 'copper' terminates. This will be hopefully significantly nearer than your exchange where your current ADSL line goes.
This reduction in line length is why the speed is so much faster wink

If you know what cab you are connected to and approx. how far away it is you can estimate your speed which is what the online checkers are doing.

I am very near to the cab so get close to the max 80mb/20mb down/up.

Edited by smouty (Tue 21-Jan-14 14:45:24)

Standard User trolleybus
(member) Tue 21-Jan-14 15:13:23
Print Post

[re: smouty] [link to this post]

if the fttc estimate is very close to the speed being provided by adsl, is there any merit in making a switch?
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-Jan-14 16:58:19
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
if the fttc estimate is very close to the speed being provided by adsl, is there any merit in making a switch?

Probably not, you might get a slight increase in download speed and the upload speed could be significantly higher, but you might not, and you will probably pay more for FTTC, so I wouldn't bother.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 70000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Tue 21-Jan-14 19:04:27
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Going from 0.85Mb/s to anywhere between 15-40Mb/s sounds like a great upgrade to me...?!

ZeN Office
Draytek Vigor 2710n
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-Jan-14 19:10:18
Print Post

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AndyPandy:
Going from 0.85Mb/s to anywhere between 15-40Mb/s sounds like a great upgrade to me...?!

Agree entirely but that wasn't the question!

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 21-Jan-14 22:50:00
Print Post

Why didn't you use the checker MrSaffron suggested? That will give you a fair idea.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User noppix1
(newbie) Wed 22-Jan-14 00:18:25
Print Post

You should have researched how far you are from the FTTC cab first. Take the advice above and check your expected speed for FTTC. As you have not yet had it installed you should be able to cancel if you are within the 14 days cooling off period. Once you have it installed and it is not working how you want you have to get them to cancel the contract. Not an easy thing.

Poor preparation makes for [censored] poor performance.

Edited by noppix1 (Wed 22-Jan-14 00:48:03)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Jan-14 07:13:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by smouty:
Hi,
Sorry if this is not news but I don't know how much you know about FTTC.
The C in FTTC is for cabinet and this is where your 'copper' terminates. This will be hopefully significantly nearer than your exchange where your current ADSL line goes.
This reduction in line length is why the speed is so much faster wink

If you know what cab you are connected to and approx. how far away it is you can estimate your speed which is what the online checkers are doing.

I am very near to the cab so get close to the max 80mb/20mb down/up.

the reduction in line length can't be the only reason for the faster speed, I know people right next to the exchange on ADSL and depending on who they are with can get between 12 and 23Mbp/s, so it must also be due different technology as well.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
(newbie) Wed 22-Jan-14 08:19:42
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Hey guys thanks for the reply's.

I should have looked into fttc your right... however i was told on the phone i have an estimated speed of 40mbs. I was told that this could be a bit slower (and i know from experance that you can take 5-10 mbs off an estimate usally!)

Any thing is better than the .75 i am currently getting!?! So much lag on my poor ps4 mp games!? And all my downloads take FOREVER!

I think my cabinet is around half a mile away from me so i rekon im looking around 20mbs or so. It's the only fttc cabinet i can find.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 22-Jan-14 11:48:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by logansfolly:
I think my cabinet is around half a mile away from me so i rekon im looking around 20mbs or so. It's the only fttc cabinet i can find.

Within 400 metres, you could be looking at a speed of 80Mbps, but it could be less. Within 650 metres, it could be 40-50Mbps, and within 900 metres it could be 25-30Mbps.

"around half a mile" suggests somewhere around the 700-900 metre mark.

The best information will come from the checker that MrSaffron supplied a link to earlier in the thread. That will give you a realistic estimate and tell you which cabinet you are connected to.
Standard User neo_wales14
(newbie) Wed 22-Jan-14 14:31:41
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

To answer the original question, yes the upgrade to FTTC was and is worth every penny. I went from around 15mb/s to 70+mb/s. If the OP only jumps to 15mb/s his game playing will be far more enjoyable as will streaming the likes of youtube/netflix.

All the best

Bob in Wales
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 22-Jan-14 14:43:58
Print Post

HI, New Here so Go easy!!

I am with Sky broadband. I have a line estmate of 2.5 mbs. I get 0.85mbs on speed test... stable yet very slow.

I have now upgraded to fibre and am trying to find what speed i'll actually get!? Sky are saying 40mbs but it could be as low as 15!?!

I would like other peoples experance in upgrading.. will it make a huge difference in speed. I know it's fttc fibre broadband and have no clue when my fttc cabinet is!?!

Look forward to reading replies.

Worth every penny for us, we went from 5Mbit to 40Mbit then to 75Mbit when Infinity 2 came out.

There are 4 people in my house and no one is a serial downloader or uses torrent etc. but what it did do was open up streaming that is available via YouView, Sky, Netflix etc. everyone can batter them services at once and nothing misses a beat, half of my screen is showing Sky Go as i write this.

Obviously general surfing is better but also gaming improves in that i can play COD now and if one of the kids uploads to YouTube or Facebook the game doesnt skip and fart.
Standard User sandacol
(learned) Wed 22-Jan-14 17:10:18
Print Post

Yes definitely worthwhile. Upgraded from 2 lines with O2, both doing about 3 meg down, 1 up, to a single line with Plusnet getting about 73/20.
I'm VERY, VERY happy with the upgrade.
It's about the only monthly outgioing that I don't resent!
We have 2 xboxes, Sky go, iPlayer and general surfing all going on at the same time with very few complaints. (I did need to change the router - the plusnet one was struggling with the load & serving the 2 xboxes).
. . . and ignore my speed test numbers - that was from a laptop PC over wireless

plusnet

Wifi_Speedtest
Just need to sort out the wireless now . . .
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Jan-14 17:56:58
Print Post

Not sure if I would have gone for FTTC to be honest, i know my ADSL was not that high about 3-4Mbp/s, depending on which way the wind was blowing, but it did do what I want.
I had a few reasons for changing to the service i am with now, which is not ADSL or FTTC, it is a wireless system.
Maybe saving some money, saying that I am not saving that much now as I updated the service, so i now pay the same as I did when I had a phone line, more or less.

Second thing to get rid of the phone line, third, to support a local company that would have local customer service.
Speed was not really on my mind at the time I knew it was slightly faster than ADSl. I did update to a faster speed when I started using Netflix more, but saying that Netflix would work fine on the lower speed.

So would i got for FTTC if i did not have the service i got now? I don't think so to be honest, because they price i would have to pay would be too high.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 22-Jan-14 20:23:27
Print Post

had a look at allpay and to me £15 a month for 2mbit is too high, whilst £20 or so for a 80mbit FTTC service but lets say 30-40mbit assuming a not great line. Is much better value, £5 extra for a speed thats 20 times as fast. 2mbit wont cut it for things like hd netflix its a speed thats now dated.

FTTC will have variances in line performance but the average speed on FTTC is way higher than ADSL averages,

Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Jan-14 21:58:04
Print Post

Hey guys thanks for the reply's.

It's all subjective and depends on your personal circumstances but here is my story (exact same house and line)

2000 Rejected for original 512Kb ADSL
2001 Got 512Kb RADSL

Over time got to 2Mbps ADSL and then moved to Sky and then O2 LLU and got about 3.5Mbps ADSL

2011 - moved to BT Infinity

BT Wholesale speed estimate 67.2Mbps/19Mbps
Samknows White box 74/19
20 threads on binary newsreader 80Mbps (occassionally slightly more)

I've gone from miles from the exchange for ADSL to 75m to the Fibre cabinet for Infinity

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Jan-14 22:30:56
Print Post

the reduction in line length can't be the only reason for the faster speed

Indeed, the VDSL DSLAM is chucking out either 40 or 80 meg sync to start with, that coupled with a shorter pair is where the gains are made.

Standard User bubblebot
(newbie) Thu 23-Jan-14 01:39:37
Print Post

i used to get about 8mbps on aol adsl and moved to bt infinity2 and i now get 75mbps download and 18mbps upload, yes the cost went from £13.50pm to £26pm but for me it is well worth the extra cost
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Jan-14 07:04:06
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
had a look at allpay and to me £15 a month for 2mbit is too high, whilst £20 or so for a 80mbit FTTC service but lets say 30-40mbit assuming a not great line. Is much better value, £5 extra for a speed thats 20 times as fast. 2mbit wont cut it for things like hd netflix its a speed thats now dated.

£18 for 5, £29 for 10, but then you don't need a phone line with that.
It is not for everyone, but then again Allpay was set up for people in the sticks who can not get decent ADSL, never mind FTTC. i doubt there is many people in the city that have Allpay , certainly now that FTTC is available.

To be honest, with all the filtering and site banning that the larger suppliers are doing I am glad that I choose allpay, now even plusnet is putting filters in. If you can get past them or not is not the issue, it is the fact they are there and they there.

The other issue for me is that I just prefer the smaller suppliers. contract for Allpay is coming to the end in around 5 months, but I think I will stay as I am. I got the option to go back to 5 to save money if money becomes a issue, try downgrading on other providers.
Before i updated to the 10 Megabits, I was using Netflix on the 5 and it was ok, i would get around medium HD as it was called then, but then i am the only one in the house and no one else is using my broadband.

speed is not a big issue for me as long a si can watch netflix.

FTTC will have variances in line performance but the average speed on FTTC is way higher than ADSL averages,

No doubt,, but6 FTTC is not it's cracked up to be, so far I have only seen two that gets the speeds they was promised and strange enough they are both EE. Othe others, Bt, plusnet and a Sky all seems to be below the spec I expected., next door neighbour for instance on BT FTTC, gets 20Mb/. which while higher than the 2 they was getting with ADSL, is still pretty poor, since we was told this technology would offer super high speed. but then it is BT after all and they don't seem to do anythign right. when we first had ADSL in this country, we was still behind other countries.

Adrian

Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Jan-14 07:32:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
the reduction in line length can't be the only reason for the faster speed, I know people right next to the exchange on ADSL and depending on who they are with can get between 12 and 23Mbp/s, so it must also be due different technology as well.

Yes & No!

On face value, any reduction in Line Length will improve ADSL.

However, not all connections are the same!

Some of the possible considerations:-
1) Depends on Line Length, NOT geographical proximity to the Exchange (cable could be routed all over the place before it gets to the Premises)
2) Number of joints & quality of the joints (particularly if old cable) in the cable
3) Any possibility all or part of the cable is routed through Aluminium, rather than Copper.
4) Any possible external interference to the external cable.
5) Then we start listing any issues that maybe creating issues within the actual User's Premises!

With respect to FTTC, I don't have specific knowledge but my understanding is that the local copper connection (i.e. from the Cabinet to the Home) is operated using VDSL Technology, which can provide the much faster speeds, than ADSL, but it clearly can only operate over relatively short distances (hence the Fibre Part of the circuit to get to the Cabinet).

Regards,
John
Standard User smouty
(regular) Thu 23-Jan-14 08:26:25
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

The reduction in line length isn't the only reason. VDSL uses much higher frequencies to achieve high data rates but the drop off for these is quite sharp so the speed drop over distance is high hence the reduction in line length to the cabinet whilst not being the sole reason, is a requirement for the technology to work.

Regarding Allpay. This is a very localised service and is in no way comparable to BT.
I'm very happy with Infinity2 service. It has been 100% faultless for me. The speed has dropped off slightly from 80mbit to 70mbit over a year due to crosstalk but this is more bandwidth than I know what to do with.

Edited by smouty (Thu 23-Jan-14 08:33:11)

(newbie) Thu 23-Jan-14 09:15:20
Print Post

wow i think i'm glad i upgraded as the diffence it will make is awesome. I download a fair amount depending on what games i decide to buy and what shows my girlfriend likes to watch while i play them!?! Sky go is the best invention EVER!!!!

I have located another 'fttc cabinet' around 0.3 (in the car reset mileometer!) from my house so hope fully that should mean ever faster speed with everything taken into account here of course?!

Another thing to note re my current speed.... 0.75 sky are saying i have an external fault on my line which needs to be fixed by openreach?! We'll see!?!
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Jan-14 11:33:42
Print Post

I have located another 'fttc cabinet' around 0.3 (in the car reset mileometer!) from my house so hope fully that should mean ever faster speed with everything taken into account here of course?!

Only if that is the cabinet you are connected to! You still don't seem to have actually done the BT wholesale check, as advised several times, and that would tell you which cabinet you are connected to, amongst other things.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
(newbie) Thu 23-Jan-14 12:12:07
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:

Only if that is the cabinet you are connected to! You still don't seem to have actually done the BT wholesale check, as advised several times, and that would tell you which cabinet you are connected to, amongst other things.

Sorry... i have done that, checked and i am connected to 'cabinet 29' but as there are no numbers on the cabinets i see little use in this information. Imo estimate are not so accurate so i wanted to ask of peoples actual increases and or experience's.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Jan-14 12:51:31
Print Post

Sorry... i have done that, checked and i am connected to 'cabinet 29' but as there are no numbers on the cabinets i see little use in this information. Imo estimate are not so accurate so i wanted to ask of peoples actual increases and or experience's.

The FTTC estimates are pretty accurate on the whole. You should find the cabinet number on the old cabinet located near the FTTC cabinet.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User roughbeast
(regular) Thu 23-Jan-14 12:58:09
Print Post

Until BT overcome crosstalk, or replace their old copper with something better, their FTTC customers will continue to lose data transfer rates over that last copper section. Like VM, BT are generally only selling a hybrid connection, unless you pay for FTTP. One advantage BT have is that the way their local network is designed. Nobody shares your copper line. It enables a more symmetrical connection than VM's. I envy the potential for 20Mb upstream. However, on Virgin's FTTN , fibre to the node, I get the full 120Mb I pay for. Coax cable is far more able to maintain full speed even whilst carrying HD and 3D TV. Indeed because VM configure their modems to take 133Mb, I get 126Mb at all times. 7Mb is lost to overheads.

ATM I have a choice between BT and VM. On balance if I were moving from ADSL I would go for VM rather than an ISP using BT lines. (Sorry if you don't have that choice.) This is mostly because of excellent TV and utterly reliable connections with latency around 9ms. Traffic management is now well on its way out, the SuperHub 2 is brilliant and we get a free upgrade to 152Mb soon.

Virgin Media: 120mb/12Mb , land line, mobiles x2, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box.

Edited by roughbeast (Thu 23-Jan-14 13:00:39)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 23-Jan-14 13:26:00
Print Post

i am connected to 'cabinet 29' but as there are no numbers on the cabinets i see little use in this information.
As has been said, no numbers on the FTTC cabinets, but almost always on the phone cabinet.
Imo estimate are not so accurate so i wanted to ask of peoples actual increases and or experience's.
A damn sight more accurate than the ones you make yourself, and nobody else's are relevant in any way at all.
Edit - typos.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 23-Jan-14 13:27:48)

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Jan-14 13:26:22
Print Post

You can use the estimates to locate your cabinet, just get a post code which is close to the cabinet that you think is yours. put that in the ADDRESS checker,, then hit submit and you will get a list of properties in that postcode, select one and submit.

Check the cabinet number, and if its the same as yours check the speed estimate, if it's very close to 80mbps then that property is pretty close to the cabinet.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 23-Jan-14 13:38:14
Print Post

[re: roughbeast] [link to this post]

BT are generally only selling a hybrid connection, unless you pay for FTTP.
AIUI FTTP is the same price as FTTC at equivalent speeds. Just tried to find it on BT's website but failed.

Are you talking about FTTPoD?

Standard User roughbeast
(regular) Thu 23-Jan-14 13:48:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I believe that BT are rolling out FTTP availability.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/09/bt-open...

Virgin Media: 120mb/12Mb , land line, mobiles x2, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box.
Standard User Rastus
(committed) Thu 23-Jan-14 13:51:16
Print Post

[re: roughbeast] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by roughbeast:
I believe that BT are rolling out FTTP availability.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/09/bt-open...

That article is about FTTPoD. There is a big difference in cost between that and standard FTTP.
(newbie) Thu 23-Jan-14 14:17:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
i am connected to 'cabinet 29' but as there are no numbers on the cabinets i see little use in this information.
As has been said, no numbers on the FTTC cabinets, but almost always on the phone cabinet.
Imo estimate are not so accurate so i wanted to ask of peoples actual increases and or experience's.
A damn sight more accurate than the ones you make yourself, and nobody else's are relevant in any way at all.
Edit - typos.

Wow great thanks for your reply??? 'ALMOST' always but not in this case,so again meaningless!! Thanks for your opinion on other peoples speed's after upgrade. It was more to find general opinion rather than what speed i'll get. #EDIT# - DO one.

-RONSKI- thanks, i'll give that a try.

Edited by logansfolly (Thu 23-Jan-14 14:19:17)

Standard User Rastus
(committed) Thu 23-Jan-14 14:41:21
Print Post

When looking for cabinet numbers make sure you examine the cabinet thoroughly as I've seen the numbers painted on either the ends or front (or sometimes both) of the cabinet.

Bear in mind that the number may have been painted many years ago and may have weathered considerably to the point where it may be hard to read if at all.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Jan-14 15:38:50
Print Post

-RONSKI- thanks, i'll give that a try.

If you need to find some postcodes for your area, use the Royal Mail postcode finder. Put in the street name, but not number. It will then give you all the properties on the road, and all their postcodes.

When you go to the BT-Wholesale DSL checker's address checker, putting the postcode in alone, it will give you a list of addresses on the postcode. It sometimes even includes the FTTC cabinet (as "STREET SIDE DSLAM XXXXXX") in the list of addresses, and you can see an example of that using postcode "HG2 9BH".

I used this a while back, when moving house, and wanted to know where a variety of cabinets were so I could choose the house wisely...
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Jan-14 15:45:21
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

I've seen many a cabinet with the number just written on, sometimes black marker pen, sometimes using a hard paint stick (a bit like a crayon).

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Jan-14 18:00:49
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by johnjburness:

Yes & No!

On face value, any reduction in Line Length will improve ADSL.

However, not all connections are the same!

Some of the possible considerations:-
1) Depends on Line Length, NOT geographical proximity to the Exchange (cable could be routed all over the place before it gets to the Premises)

Tell me about it, that is why ADSl is pretty poor where i live, not so much the distance from the exchange, but because Bt could not be bothered to re-route the cable when they moved the exchange, so the cable from here goes to where the old exchange was and then doubles back to the new exchange.
2) Number of joints & quality of the joints (particularly if old cable) in the cable

that is another problem we have here, a lot of the cables under the road are old and the ones going from the pole to the buildings are not that much better.

Mine was suppose to have been replaced around 15 years back and nothing was done, bloated toad, takes as much money as they can on line rental and do nothing with it apart from paying their shareholders and CEO Wages.

3) Any possibility all or part of the cable is routed through Aluminium, rather than Copper.

i don't we got that problem, but you never know, if they have to replace a cable they may use aluminium to save money
4) Any possible external interference to the external cable.

Christmas lights from some nit across the road who wants to light up the street
5) Then we start listing any issues that maybe creating issues within the actual User's Premises!

Mine was ok as far as I could tell, not sure about the join by the front door mind you, I had a look in there once and was shocked at the mess. i could do a better at wiring than that. I suppose it was done before the days of broadband, maybe before the days of the internet itself

With respect to FTTC, I don't have specific knowledge but my understanding is that the local copper connection (i.e. from the Cabinet to the Home) is operated using VDSL Technology, which can provide the much faster speeds, than ADSL, but it clearly can only operate over relatively short distances (hence the Fibre Part of the circuit to get to the Cabinet).

Much faster? depends on your circumstances, you could be closer to the exchange than you are to the cabinet, so your ADSl could be almost as good as FTTC.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Jan-14 18:11:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by smouty:
The reduction in line length isn't the only reason. VDSL uses much higher frequencies to achieve high data rates but the drop off for these is quite sharp so the speed drop over distance is high hence the reduction in line length to the cabinet whilst not being the sole reason, is a requirement for the technology to work.

I had a feeling that was reason. i have read some things about it.
Regarding Allpay. This is a very localised service and is in no way comparable to BT.
I'm very happy with Infinity2 service. It has been 100% faultless for me. The speed has dropped off slightly from 80mbit to 70mbit over a year due to crosstalk but this is more bandwidth than I know what to do with.

Yep, allpay is localised, but there are others around that do the same sort of service.

i would not go back to BT to be honest, i would not really want to go back to Bt equipment either, as it is i have been disconnected from Bt equiment for nearly 2 years and to be honest i don't want to go back to it unless i really had to, but it certainly not be directly with Bt.

Adrian

Standard User elevator
(member) Thu 23-Jan-14 18:19:42
Print Post

Went from 7 down to 38 down about 9 up, then changed to 80/20 now 74 down and 18 up.

Upgrade every time

[img]

Edited by elevator (Thu 23-Jan-14 18:21:39)

(newbie) Fri 24-Jan-14 08:33:58
Print Post

[re: elevator] [link to this post]

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I have used the post code checker (and what feels like detective work!) and i am indeed connected to cabinet 29 which is around 500 meters or so from my front door.

I am happy that provided the 'line fault' is fixed, my upgrade will be totally worth while. I go live on Thursday the 30th and will report back with my speed's.

Cheers all.
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Fri 24-Jan-14 09:59:47
Print Post

Still be wary!!

The local FTTC is being installed about 10 Metres from my front door, where the my copper phone line enters my house.

The PCP for my line is about 50 Metres away, further north from the Exchange - BUT my line from that PCP goes about 150 Metres east, crossing under the road "somewhere", to a small junction box mounted on the wall of a "near" neighbour's house, before coming back to my front door - basically all of it underground and installed whilst the houses were being built, so no in-filled trench signs etc to give more precise details.

However, it does mean that if I do get FTTC/VDSL installed, although the local source/FTTC cabinet is only 10 Metres away, the VDSL signal will have trudged about 360 Metres to get here!
(newbie) Fri 24-Jan-14 12:19:48
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
Still be wary!!

The local FTTC is being installed about 10 Metres from my front door, where the my copper phone line enters my house.

The PCP for my line is about 50 Metres away, further north from the Exchange - BUT my line from that PCP goes about 150 Metres east, crossing under the road "somewhere", to a small junction box mounted on the wall of a "near" neighbour's house, before coming back to my front door - basically all of it underground and installed whilst the houses were being built, so no in-filled trench signs etc to give more precise details.

However, it does mean that if I do get FTTC/VDSL installed, although the local source/FTTC cabinet is only 10 Metres away, the VDSL signal will have trudged about 360 Metres to get here!

WOW!! Thanks for the info. I know nothing is as easy as it seems/looks in the world of broadband!? Needless to say i'll keep everything crossed!!
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Fri 24-Jan-14 12:50:54
Print Post

Another example of nothing being straight forward. Where my parents live the exchange is at the bottom of their garden yet the their phone line is 1.2 Km long. The PCP they are connected to is on the main road bout 800m away as the cables run.
(newbie) Fri 24-Jan-14 13:35:36
Print Post

So you pay more for a 10mb/s wireless link than you would for a much faster FTTC just because the majority of ISP's use BT infrastructure? Are you not 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' there? I can't fathom your logic to be honest.

Wireless could be a real bonus if you lived out in the sticks and could not afford the faster satellite services available but I can't understand you opting for it when better services are readily available to you.

All the best

Bob in Wales
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 24-Jan-14 15:55:26
Print Post

[re: neo_wales14] [link to this post]

His cabinet was delayed for a long time, in the end he went for allpay wireless, the cabinet went live soon afterwards IIRC.

I feel he's constantly trying to self justify his decision.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jan-14 09:22:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by neo_wales14:
So you pay more for a 10mb/s wireless link than you would for a much faster FTTC just because the majority of ISP's use BT infrastructure? Are you not 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' there? I can't fathom your logic to be honest.

Wireless could be a real bonus if you lived out in the sticks and could not afford the faster satellite services available but I can't understand you opting for it when better services are readily available to you.

You know full well from the other forum my reasons. At least with who I am with now i don't get any thing blocked, no filters, no Chinese servers to go through like Talk Talk. Before you say it, i know you can switch off home safe, but your data still goes though Chinese servers. No stupid BT profiling.

Unless there is a problem, which is very rare, I get the speed i pay for.

You know full well, what I think of bloated toad as a company. vile company,

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jan-14 10:07:36
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
His cabinet was delayed for a long time, in the end he went for allpay wireless, the cabinet went live soon afterwards IIRC.

I feel he's constantly trying to self justify his decision.

I don't have to justify anything to myself or anyone, but I will, just for you.

I did not just go out one day and say, oh I think I will go with Allpay. I have wanted to get rid of BT infrastructure for a while, I don't see the sense in having and paying for a phone line I don't use. but the only option was 3G, expensive and not that reliable.

As you said, FTTc was taking ages around here, BT was pushing it backwards time and time again, I was pretty sure I did not want FTTC anyway and at that time it was far too expensive.
I went into town to meet a friend for coffee on a Saturday, Allpay had one of their vans there, so after a chinwag I had a thought about it for a few weeks and then decided to go for the 5Mb/s service. Cheaper than what I was paying with ADSL24 by a squid and a higher speed, buy 1-2 Megabits, also get rid of the phone line would save me another £12 a month. The only downfall was the installation cost and the 2 year contract. i had a visit from a rep, had another chinwag, agreed a date for installation.

The day they installed it, the rain was pouring down, with thunder and lightning. I would not have liked to be on that roof in that weather, but they done it and i got a longer pole for my TV aerial, which was not and still not used anyway, but it is in a better place.

I decided a few months after to pay a bit extra and up the speed to 10, Still paying a little bit less than I was for 3Mb/s and a phone line. I still got VoIP, so i still got a home number so my Dad can phone me and that it cost me nothing unless I use it, i stuck a tenner on it 18 months ago, something like that and still got £8 or so on it.

Yes, a few weeks after FTTC up here was put in place. My next door neighbour had it late last year and to be honest i am not that impressed with it, they get about 20Mb/s, with it, ok it is faster than their 2Mb/s they had before, not sure if it is worth it for them since they only use the net once in a blue moon. But for that they are paying more than me for another 10Mb/s than me, if they get it.

i got the Wi-fi ket for their network as I keep a eye on things for them, so do a speed est now and again, I just done it now to see if they are any faster, and I today at this moment they are getting a ping of 1021, wow that is a shock. i know my pings are not low, but i expect that. a fdownload speed of 0..43 and a upload speed of 0.31.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3257458092

Just put myself back on my own network

45ms ping, 11.43Mb/s download and 1.45Mb/s upload

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3257462926 it comes up as Zen as allpay uses Zen.

I presume Bt must have a problem, that is normal to be honest, but I have doen tests where they get about 20 and that is it.

The only great advantage I would have by going FTTC is upload speed.

Never going to say it will never happen, but i am happy with the service I get and if I need to cut back money wise I can just go back to 5Mb/s which to be honest will still do the job and i can still watch netflix, even in HD, but not super high and not 1080.

I think I made the right choice, it is not for everyone, but it does what I want and i can understand why people go for FTTC as long as it works.

Adrian

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 25-Jan-14 15:13:34
Print Post

That speed test indicates a wired test needs doing, that's all, to see if there are issues that need to be addressed. You ought to go and help them, making sure pukka BT and tbb tests are done.

There's so obviously something not right with that test.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Jan-14 15:19:42
Print Post

I'm sure we've been through this before with him, that there is something wrong with his neighbours connection. Even on wireless it shouldn't be that bad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jan-14 15:32:28
Print Post

That speed test indicates a wired test needs doing, that's all, to see if there are issues that need to be addressed. You ought to go and help them, making sure pukka BT and tbb tests are done.

Um, yes it is not normally that bad, i just doen another test and it is better, so I presuem there was certainly a Bt problem.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3258080911

Still not what I think as super fast to be honest.

there own computer is connected via ethernet, but they still come back with the same speed as I get via wi-fi.

so much for the 40Mb/s we was promised we would around here.

Adrian

(newbie) Sat 25-Jan-14 17:06:05
Print Post

Um, yes it is not normally that bad, i just doen another test and it is better, so I presuem there was certainly a Bt problem.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3258080911

Still not what I think as super fast to be honest.

there own computer is connected via ethernet, but they still come back with the same speed as I get via wi-fi.

so much for the 40Mb/s we was promised we would around here.

It may well have been a BT problem but accessing your neighbours internet from next door via wireless will never be a true reading.

All the best

Bob in Wales
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 25-Jan-14 17:21:11
Print Post

No different from accessing your own surely? Next door's router could be within a few feet in a semi-detached or terraced house, whereas your own could be a floor or two up/down and diagonally across the house through goodness know what barriers.

I have a friend who until he realised what was going on frequently found he was unable to access his email after switching his computer on. In the end he spotted that a speed test referred to the wrong ISP.

His USB cable-connected Wifi unit was on his window-ledge at the back of his house. His router was in the same room but the other side of his midi-tower computer. It was picking up the unsecured router in the house behind his, two x 15 metre gardens away, if that was on when he started his machine up.

Standard User Timalay
(experienced) Sat 25-Jan-14 20:48:23
Print Post

Yes and no.

Basically before I upgraded my current ISP (Plusnet) only offered a 60GB usage allowance. Which I was just going over monthly. So going over to their fibre package with greater usage allowance was a must for me.
What I am using it for (Steaming), I would have been fine on my old adsl connection (around 8Mbps).
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 25-Jan-14 20:54:29
Print Post

[re: Timalay] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Timalay:
What I am using it for (Steaming), I would have been fine on my old adsl connection (around 8Mbps).
Steaming vegetables?

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jan-14 21:17:46
Print Post

No different from accessing your own surely? Next door's router could be within a few feet in a semi-detached or terraced house, whereas your own could be a floor or two up/down and diagonally across the house through goodness know what barriers.

I have a friend who until he realised what was going on frequently found he was unable to access his email after switching his computer on. In the end he spotted that a speed test referred to the wrong ISP.

His USB cable-connected Wifi unit was on his window-ledge at the back of his house. His router was in the same room but the other side of his midi-tower computer. It was picking up the unsecured router in the house behind his, two x 15 metre gardens away, if that was on when he started his machine up.

100% correct, my next door neighbours router is closer to my computer than my router. Two walls stand between where I am now and their router and their router is just on the other side of the wall.
Anyway, i have tested their speed before on their own machine which is connected via Ethernet and gets around the same speed of around 20Mb/s
My wi-fi can go a lot higher than what FTTC maximum is, certainly the distance I am away from their router.

Adrian

Standard User Timalay
(experienced) Sun 26-Jan-14 12:54:51
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Shush you tongue
(newbie) Tue 04-Feb-14 09:58:10
Print Post

[re: Timalay] [link to this post]

Hey just wanted to report back on my upgrade so far...

Went live on fibre around lunch time on my switch over day. Sky text and emailed to say i was now on there fibre network so to speak. Was looking forward to getting home and having a 'surf' and had a few things to download on my ps4.

I got home to find my speed at around 1-2 mgbs!!! i was worried to say the least!! Tried another test and looked at my connect through my router. Sky was say the router was reciving 40mgbs. But the line would fluctuate over a setttling in period. I didn't realise fibre had that settle peiod. It stayed at 1-2 mgbs until i turned my landline phone on and then it shot up to 25-28 mgbs!!

Should my landline phone make a difference because it's seemed too? No big deal as i do keep it on obviously but i was suprised that it made such a change t the broadband speed.

I still am in the settle down period but the speeds are around 20 mgbs. Hopefully the'll get nearer the forty most of my speed indicators reported i 'might get'.

Sky have been good during my change over.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Feb-14 11:07:30
Print Post

I got home to find my speed at around 1-2 mgbs!!! i was worried to say the least!! Tried another test and looked at my connect through my router. Sky was say the router was reciving 40mgbs. But the line would fluctuate over a setttling in period. I didn't realise fibre had that settle peiod. It stayed at 1-2 mgbs until i turned my landline phone on and then it shot up to 25-28 mgbs!!

As you have a wires-only install, any problems caused by your own wiring (which might include big speed drops) are not fixed frown

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Feb-14 11:10:44
Print Post

Turning on the landline phone should make no difference and suggests a wiring issue if it does.

Time to shuffle the hardware down to the test socket and try there.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to