General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fiddler
(member) Tue 28-Jan-14 22:17:44
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD (or FoD) price increase

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If your phone is connected to an FTTC-enabled cabinet, but you are so far away from it that the BT Wholesale checker doesn't give an FTTC estimate when you supply the phone number or address, (the postcode checker is unavoidably unreliable for a couple of reasons), then you can't order FTTPoD.

May I ask, why would the availability of fibre be limited by length of copper?

Regards,

Rob
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Tue 28-Jan-14 22:47:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
If your phone is connected to an FTTC-enabled cabinet, but you are so far away from it that the BT Wholesale checker doesn't give an FTTC estimate when you supply the phone number or address, (the postcode checker is unavoidably unreliable for a couple of reasons), then you can't order FTTPoD.

This reply implies that you should/may be able to order FTTPoD even if you are too far away to get a FTTC estimate from the checker.

xilo Fibre+ BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Jan-14 23:24:52
Print Post

[re: fiddler] [link to this post]

Because at 3.50 per metre they cannot believe it would be feasible or you are the inly property that would be served by a fibre manifold.

Subject to survey covers many eventualities

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ccxo
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jan-14 23:30:51
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

FTTPoD is a custom build out of fibre from the aggreation node to your premises, the only requirement is that your cab has a fibre twin and you can order FTTPoD from the wholesale checker.

With FTTC the VDSL2 signal will fall away after 2km of copper, you would only be able to order adsl services beyond this distance.

See the below link and table to see estimated speeds as the copper line length increases.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband....

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jan-14 23:38:44
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

The reason BT put up price 75% because BT didn't want me (adslmax) to have FTTPoD soon.

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg
Standard User fiddler
(member) Tue 28-Jan-14 23:42:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

But the previous £2/m buys you 75% further distance than the new £3.5/m

The pricing seems arbitrary, designed to put people off ordering, and not related to the cost of installation:

i.e. the cost of fibre did not go up by 75% overnight.

Regards,

Rob
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 29-Jan-14 00:39:41
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

As MrSaffron says, I think it is more a commercial than a technical issue. The linked post was last May, so I wouldn't be too sure it is still valid. Note that it does however also say that FTTPoD availability will show on the BT Wholesale checker that I linked to earlier here. I wasn't aware of that.

Given the new costs, even with a few takers at such a distance it would need some people with deep pockets.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 29-Jan-14 00:40:35)

Standard User Rastus
(committed) Wed 29-Jan-14 10:00:54
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Well maybe you'll be lucky and FTTPoD (FoD) will become available at your location before the price increase takes effect thus giving you the chance to order it at the old price.

But I didn't think you'd let a minor thing like price stand in your way of obtaining the ultimate connection.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Jan-14 10:08:54
Print Post

[re: fiddler] [link to this post]

There may have been an element of discouraging Walter Mitty characters who were wasting survey resources

i.e. adding to the overall costs

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Wed 29-Jan-14 13:03:50
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

keep dreaming.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to