General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cajef
(experienced) Wed 29-Jan-14 13:18:54
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD (or FoD) price increase

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
The phone service could stay on the copper or be served by the fibre, it depends in part on your ISP.

It appears feasible to get the voice from one supplier and the data from another but I haven't seen any indication of this in a live area yet.

I am with BT for my line rental and that is still copper from the cabinet, my FTTP broadband is supplied by PlusNet on their FTTP trial.

Plusnet FTTP Unlimited
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Standard User Rastus
(committed) Wed 29-Jan-14 14:10:34
Print Post

[re: cajef] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cajef:
I am with BT for my line rental and that is still copper from the cabinet, my FTTP broadband is supplied by PlusNet on their FTTP trial.

Slightly OT, but are your FTTP and copper via overhead feeds?

If so did BTOpenreach replace the existing copper dropwire with a combined Fibre/Copper drop?

I'm interested to find out because I'm in that situation (BT line rental and PlusNet ADSL - although I haven't actually placed an order yet with PlusNet for the FTTP trial), and so I'm wondering whether I'll get a replacement combined dropwire.

All that's really holding me up placing my order is the fact that I want to route a (difficult) conduit through my loft and down to a utilities cupboard for the fibre tube to be pulled through to get over the maximum 2 metres of the external tubing permitted internally without metallic conduit as stated by BT.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Jan-14 14:43:00
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rastus:
But I didn't think you'd let a minor thing like price stand in your way of obtaining the ultimate connection.
Typical of the 'heavy user'. They want the bandwidth but they don't want the bill smile

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cajef
(experienced) Wed 29-Jan-14 15:29:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by Rastus:
Slightly OT, but are your FTTP and copper via overhead feeds?

No, my feed is underground, I watched the Openreach engineer blow the fibre cable through the pipe from the manhole to my property.

The external fibre junction box was installed next to the existing phone entry point, I have a detached bungalow and my desktop computer is in a room at the opposite end of the bungalow from the entry point and it would have been impossible to run an internal cable, the BT engineer ran a fibre cable from the J/B externally and in through the wall and he fitted the Openreach modem next to my router within half a metre from my computer desk.

Plusnet FTTP Unlimited
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Standard User Rastus
(committed) Wed 29-Jan-14 15:43:45
Print Post

OK, thanks for your explanation smile

My situation is different in that it's a detached house with one side immediately adjacent to the road (no pavement), across which the existing overhead copper feed comes from a pole immediately opposite and enters the building through the roof.

The reason I want to use internal conduit is so that the fibre tubing will enter in a similar fashion and there won't be any external cables or tubes within easy reach of ground level which would be exposed to being tampered with (i.e. cut - I'm thinking IP security cameras being disabled).
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Wed 29-Jan-14 18:02:33
Print Post

Cajef

I was meaning a fibre service for the voice not the copper service. At present plusnet do not provide a fibre voice service.

BT Retail will not know you have a fibre BB service so wouldn't offer you the fibre voice service they can/do supply.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Jan-14 18:09:15
Print Post

You are aware that the fibre from the outside world will terminate to a passive fibre termination box on the outside of the property and a pre-made plastic fibre is then run from there to the inside of the property at the point of your choosing.

These two jobs are done usually on two different days

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Rastus
(committed) Thu 30-Jan-14 13:55:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
You are aware that the fibre from the outside world will terminate to a passive fibre termination box on the outside of the property ...
That is one option, however I believe there is also the option of having the CSP placed on the inside of an outside wall. That is basically what I will be going for, but with the external tubing fed through conduit from roof level where it is fixed to the building down to a utilities cupboard on the ground floor. ...

... and a pre-made plastic fibre is then run from there to the inside of the property at the point of your choosing.
... From the utilities cupboard the spliced pre-made fibre will then be fed through another conduit to the room immediately above where I will have the ONT fitted.

These two jobs are done usually on two different days
Yes.

I can't see any problems with my proposal - if anything it will be easier for the Openreach engineer to perform the splice indoors in the dry, away from all the inclement weather we've been experiencing over the last couple of months.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Jan-14 17:04:18
Print Post

You might hit a problem relating to fire safety.

Internal cable needs to meet fire & smoke requirements, and the external cable doesn't normally meet that. That's why there are usually limits as to how much external cable is allowed into the building. About 2 metres seems to be the limit.

Section 3.1 of the Openreach developer's guide gives you the lowdown on the general requirements.

Section 3.3 has the info about the splicing points. The internal one needs to be above and within 2 metres of the duct, but there is an option for a slave splice point too.

IIRC, the splice points must be accessible without use of a ladder, etc. The splice machinery is too unwieldy.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Jan-14 17:16:14
Print Post

The developers guide does appear to carry caveats about possible charges for different to normal things.

So a case of hearing how it goes for you. Actual FTTP installs are still fairly rare.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to