General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jan-14 18:56:50
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD (or FoD) price increase

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

So the external feed will be via overhead BFT ? Then what you suggest sounds do-able. You really just need to be there when the 1st stage task is done, tea helps.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jan-14 19:02:18
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Section 3.3 has the info about the splicing points. The internal one needs to be above and within 2 metres of the duct, but there is an option for a slave splice point too.

Went to some new builds in Ascot last week, where just this had been done, the UG feed came up in a utilities cupboard just inside the front door, CSP just above this, then just a short feed to the ONTE. From here there was already data links round the premises.
They were quite nice houses too, but at £950,000, I won't be buying one any time soon frown

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Jan-14 19:46:25
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
They were quite nice houses too, but at £950,000
Whaddaya expect un Ascot?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 30-Jan-14 19:50:52
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Horses for courses.

Of course, at that sort of money, a BT engineer isn't in the running.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Rastus
(committed) Thu 30-Jan-14 21:03:27
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
You might hit a problem relating to fire safety.

Internal cable needs to meet fire & smoke requirements, and the external cable doesn't normally meet that. That's why there are usually limits as to how much external cable is allowed into the building. About 2 metres seems to be the limit.

Section 3.1 of the Openreach developer's guide gives you the lowdown on the general requirements.

Section 3.3 has the info about the splicing points. The internal one needs to be above and within 2 metres of the duct, but there is an option for a slave splice point too.

IIRC, the splice points must be accessible without use of a ladder, etc. The splice machinery is too unwieldy.

Thanks for your helpful comments wink but I've hopefully already taken all your points into consideration after previously referring to the BTOR Developers Guide.

The conduit to be used is flexible steel which covers the fire hazard problem of more than 2 metres of external BFT being used indoors, and the CSP will be in a floor to ceiling ground-floor utilities cupboard so that should provide access without a ladder wink

Edited by Rastus (Thu 30-Jan-14 21:04:20)

Standard User Rastus
(committed) Thu 30-Jan-14 21:03:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
So the external feed will be via overhead BFT ? Then what you suggest sounds do-able. You really just need to be there when the 1st stage task is done, tea helps.

Yes, overhead feed, thanks for the vote of confidence smile

The proposed location in the utilities cupboard is immediately adjacent to the kitchen so well within range of the kettle wink Will probably be able to get hold of some nice biscuits and cookies to soak the tea up.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jan-14 21:16:16
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

To be fair though, the engineer may still well want to site the CSP on the exterior wall. It's what they are supposed to do. It should also be added that I've yet to do a first stage visit where the punter was aware that we were coming to fit it. Obviously they get notification of the second visit.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jan-14 21:19:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well for you fabulously wealthy types ......... tongue

http://www.berkeleygroup.co.uk/property-developers/b...

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 30-Jan-14 21:27:23
Print Post

Shhh, I don't want anyone here as a neighbour.

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 30-Jan-14 21:37:20
Print Post

HeHe. I assume the prices aren't shown for the usual reason.

Two snippets from today's Times:-
A female bodyguard stole £12m of rare diamonds from the former wife of ....
She allegedly borrowed them with the lady's daughter's permission, had replicas made worth £150, and returned the fakes.

That £12m is mind-boggling enough, but it was just two diamond rings. One a 12.71-carat diamond, the other a 27.1-carat diamond.
A stay-at-home husband (in a divorce claim) is asking for a slice of £11m in assets from his wife ... (they) lived an opulent lifestyle during their 15-year marriage ... a £1 million wine collection ... an unmortgaged £4.5 million flat in Kensington.
Sob!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 30-Jan-14 21:38:29)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to