General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fiddler
(member) Tue 28-Jan-14 17:36:20
Print Post

FTTP price increase

[link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6267-openreach-in...

This is rather academic as we don't yet have a date for fibre in our town but this was something that I had already started saving for.

For those of us who probably live to far from the cabinet to benefit from FTTC over ADSL2+, the 75% price hike is a real kick in the teeth.

While previously I would have considered a £5k+VAT outlay for FTTP as a 10-year long-term investment, nearly doubling that mans this is now out of the question.

Prices should be coming down, no?

Regards,

Rob

Edited by fiddler (Tue 28-Jan-14 17:41:37)

Standard User Rastus
(committed) Tue 28-Jan-14 17:58:40
Print Post

FTTPoD (or FoD) price increase

[re: fiddler] [link to this post]

Your thread title is inaccurate and misleading as the article you have linked to refers to FTTPoD otherwise known as FoD, a completely different product to native FTTP.

Edited by Rastus (Tue 28-Jan-14 17:59:37)

Standard User fiddler
(member) Tue 28-Jan-14 18:06:11
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD (or FoD) price increase

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

Apologies.

For those like me who are new to the subject, what is the difference between FTTP and FTTPoD on a consumer level?

Regards,

Rob

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 28-Jan-14 18:16:19
Print Post

FTTP is supplied in a few places instead of FTTC, at similar or identical prices for equivalent end user speeds. The higher speeds of FTTP are also available. Or ar least some are.

FTTPoD is when people in an FTTC area would like those higher speeds, or simply a guaranteed full speed of say 80/20 rather than like my line where FTTC gives 59/14. FTTP/FTTPoD run at the advertised speed - no "up to".

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User fiddler
(member) Tue 28-Jan-14 18:31:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thank you.

So does that mean that if you live too far from a cabinet for a traditional fibre product to work and you're not in one of the few places where FTTP is supplied then FTTPoD is your only fibre alternative?

Regards,

Rob
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(member) Tue 28-Jan-14 18:38:33
Print Post

As far as I know, FTTPoD just replaces the copper from your home to a fibre enabled cabinet. No FTTC, no FTTPoD.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 28-Jan-14 18:47:46
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Stevenage_Neil:
As far as I know, FTTPoD just replaces the copper from your home to a fibre enabled cabinet. No FTTC, no FTTPoD.
I think the phone service stays on the copper. I could be wrong.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 28-Jan-14 18:55:57
Print Post

Depends by what you mean by too far from the cabinet for FTTC to work.

If your phone is connected to an FTTC-enabled cabinet, but you are so far away from it that the BT Wholesale checker doesn't give an FTTC estimate when you supply the phone number or address, (the postcode checker is unavoidably unreliable for a couple of reasons), then you can't order FTTPoD.

But if you are at a distance that for example has an estimated or real FTTC speed of 6/1.7Mbps, then you may be able to get a quotation (in the thousands) for FTTPoD. Or Openreach may just say they don't want to do it. All FTTPoD orders are subject to survey, as there could be obstacles making it physically not feasible.

Standard User kitcat
(committed) Tue 28-Jan-14 19:37:18
Print Post

Roberto

The phone service could stay on the copper or be served by the fibre, it depends in part on your ISP.

As I read it, if it remains on the copper you would pay line rental on the copper and the higher fee on the fibre. If you use the fibre you would drop the copper line rental. However it its't clear. I think only BTretail are selling voice over the fibre at present, I haven't seen any indication of this from other providers yet.

It appears feasible to get the voice from one supplier and the data from another but I haven't seen any indication of this in a live area yet. Pure FTTP only areas ( Ebbsfleet) or new builds would be where the evidence would be. I would assume that anyone selling only the Data path would recommend a Voip supplier for voice.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 28-Jan-14 21:58:16
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Let's make sure we don't assume FTTP and FTTPoD are the same wrt the phone service smile.

At greenfield sites such as Ebsfleet AIUI the phone may have been fibre as well, but I'm sure many FTTP areas where copper already exists then the phone was left on it.

As with FTTPoD it is almost certain there will be existing copper, you may be right but I don't think it likely.

I expect SWK (a variation on She Who Knows to Someone Who may know) will spot this.

Standard User fiddler
(member) Tue 28-Jan-14 22:17:44
Print Post

If your phone is connected to an FTTC-enabled cabinet, but you are so far away from it that the BT Wholesale checker doesn't give an FTTC estimate when you supply the phone number or address, (the postcode checker is unavoidably unreliable for a couple of reasons), then you can't order FTTPoD.

May I ask, why would the availability of fibre be limited by length of copper?

Regards,

Rob
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Tue 28-Jan-14 22:47:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

This reply implies that you should/may be able to order FTTPoD even if you are too far away to get a FTTC estimate from the checker.

xilo Fibre+ BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Jan-14 23:24:52
Print Post

Because at 3.50 per metre they cannot believe it would be feasible or you are the inly property that would be served by a fibre manifold.

Subject to survey covers many eventualities

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ccxo
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jan-14 23:30:51
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

FTTPoD is a custom build out of fibre from the aggreation node to your premises, the only requirement is that your cab has a fibre twin and you can order FTTPoD from the wholesale checker.

With FTTC the VDSL2 signal will fall away after 2km of copper, you would only be able to order adsl services beyond this distance.

See the below link and table to see estimated speeds as the copper line length increases.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband....

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jan-14 23:38:44
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

The reason BT put up price 75% because BT didn't want me (adslmax) to have FTTPoD soon.

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg
Standard User fiddler
(member) Tue 28-Jan-14 23:42:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

But the previous £2/m buys you 75% further distance than the new £3.5/m

The pricing seems arbitrary, designed to put people off ordering, and not related to the cost of installation:

i.e. the cost of fibre did not go up by 75% overnight.

Regards,

Rob
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 29-Jan-14 00:39:41
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

As MrSaffron says, I think it is more a commercial than a technical issue. The linked post was last May, so I wouldn't be too sure it is still valid. Note that it does however also say that FTTPoD availability will show on the BT Wholesale checker that I linked to earlier here. I wasn't aware of that.

Given the new costs, even with a few takers at such a distance it would need some people with deep pockets.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 29-Jan-14 00:40:35)

Standard User Rastus
(committed) Wed 29-Jan-14 10:00:54
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Well maybe you'll be lucky and FTTPoD (FoD) will become available at your location before the price increase takes effect thus giving you the chance to order it at the old price.

But I didn't think you'd let a minor thing like price stand in your way of obtaining the ultimate connection.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Jan-14 10:08:54
Print Post

There may have been an element of discouraging Walter Mitty characters who were wasting survey resources

i.e. adding to the overall costs

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Wed 29-Jan-14 13:03:50
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

keep dreaming.
Standard User cajef
(experienced) Wed 29-Jan-14 13:18:54
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
The phone service could stay on the copper or be served by the fibre, it depends in part on your ISP.

It appears feasible to get the voice from one supplier and the data from another but I haven't seen any indication of this in a live area yet.

I am with BT for my line rental and that is still copper from the cabinet, my FTTP broadband is supplied by PlusNet on their FTTP trial.

Plusnet FTTP Unlimited
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Standard User Rastus
(committed) Wed 29-Jan-14 14:10:34
Print Post

[re: cajef] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cajef:
I am with BT for my line rental and that is still copper from the cabinet, my FTTP broadband is supplied by PlusNet on their FTTP trial.

Slightly OT, but are your FTTP and copper via overhead feeds?

If so did BTOpenreach replace the existing copper dropwire with a combined Fibre/Copper drop?

I'm interested to find out because I'm in that situation (BT line rental and PlusNet ADSL - although I haven't actually placed an order yet with PlusNet for the FTTP trial), and so I'm wondering whether I'll get a replacement combined dropwire.

All that's really holding me up placing my order is the fact that I want to route a (difficult) conduit through my loft and down to a utilities cupboard for the fibre tube to be pulled through to get over the maximum 2 metres of the external tubing permitted internally without metallic conduit as stated by BT.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Jan-14 14:43:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by Rastus:
But I didn't think you'd let a minor thing like price stand in your way of obtaining the ultimate connection.
Typical of the 'heavy user'. They want the bandwidth but they don't want the bill smile

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User cajef
(experienced) Wed 29-Jan-14 15:29:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by Rastus:
Slightly OT, but are your FTTP and copper via overhead feeds?

No, my feed is underground, I watched the Openreach engineer blow the fibre cable through the pipe from the manhole to my property.

The external fibre junction box was installed next to the existing phone entry point, I have a detached bungalow and my desktop computer is in a room at the opposite end of the bungalow from the entry point and it would have been impossible to run an internal cable, the BT engineer ran a fibre cable from the J/B externally and in through the wall and he fitted the Openreach modem next to my router within half a metre from my computer desk.

Plusnet FTTP Unlimited
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Standard User Rastus
(committed) Wed 29-Jan-14 15:43:45
Print Post

OK, thanks for your explanation smile

My situation is different in that it's a detached house with one side immediately adjacent to the road (no pavement), across which the existing overhead copper feed comes from a pole immediately opposite and enters the building through the roof.

The reason I want to use internal conduit is so that the fibre tubing will enter in a similar fashion and there won't be any external cables or tubes within easy reach of ground level which would be exposed to being tampered with (i.e. cut - I'm thinking IP security cameras being disabled).
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Wed 29-Jan-14 18:02:33
Print Post

Cajef

I was meaning a fibre service for the voice not the copper service. At present plusnet do not provide a fibre voice service.

BT Retail will not know you have a fibre BB service so wouldn't offer you the fibre voice service they can/do supply.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Jan-14 18:09:15
Print Post

You are aware that the fibre from the outside world will terminate to a passive fibre termination box on the outside of the property and a pre-made plastic fibre is then run from there to the inside of the property at the point of your choosing.

These two jobs are done usually on two different days

Standard User Rastus
(committed) Thu 30-Jan-14 13:55:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
You are aware that the fibre from the outside world will terminate to a passive fibre termination box on the outside of the property ...
That is one option, however I believe there is also the option of having the CSP placed on the inside of an outside wall. That is basically what I will be going for, but with the external tubing fed through conduit from roof level where it is fixed to the building down to a utilities cupboard on the ground floor. ...

... and a pre-made plastic fibre is then run from there to the inside of the property at the point of your choosing.
... From the utilities cupboard the spliced pre-made fibre will then be fed through another conduit to the room immediately above where I will have the ONT fitted.

These two jobs are done usually on two different days
Yes.

I can't see any problems with my proposal - if anything it will be easier for the Openreach engineer to perform the splice indoors in the dry, away from all the inclement weather we've been experiencing over the last couple of months.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Jan-14 17:04:18
Print Post

You might hit a problem relating to fire safety.

Internal cable needs to meet fire & smoke requirements, and the external cable doesn't normally meet that. That's why there are usually limits as to how much external cable is allowed into the building. About 2 metres seems to be the limit.

Section 3.1 of the Openreach developer's guide gives you the lowdown on the general requirements.

Section 3.3 has the info about the splicing points. The internal one needs to be above and within 2 metres of the duct, but there is an option for a slave splice point too.

IIRC, the splice points must be accessible without use of a ladder, etc. The splice machinery is too unwieldy.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Jan-14 17:16:14
Print Post

The developers guide does appear to carry caveats about possible charges for different to normal things.

So a case of hearing how it goes for you. Actual FTTP installs are still fairly rare.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jan-14 18:56:50
Print Post

So the external feed will be via overhead BFT ? Then what you suggest sounds do-able. You really just need to be there when the 1st stage task is done, tea helps.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jan-14 19:02:18
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Section 3.3 has the info about the splicing points. The internal one needs to be above and within 2 metres of the duct, but there is an option for a slave splice point too.

Went to some new builds in Ascot last week, where just this had been done, the UG feed came up in a utilities cupboard just inside the front door, CSP just above this, then just a short feed to the ONTE. From here there was already data links round the premises.
They were quite nice houses too, but at £950,000, I won't be buying one any time soon frown

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Jan-14 19:46:25
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
They were quite nice houses too, but at £950,000
Whaddaya expect un Ascot?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 30-Jan-14 19:50:52
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Horses for courses.

Of course, at that sort of money, a BT engineer isn't in the running.

Standard User Rastus
(committed) Thu 30-Jan-14 21:03:27
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
You might hit a problem relating to fire safety.

Internal cable needs to meet fire & smoke requirements, and the external cable doesn't normally meet that. That's why there are usually limits as to how much external cable is allowed into the building. About 2 metres seems to be the limit.

Section 3.1 of the Openreach developer's guide gives you the lowdown on the general requirements.

IIRC, the splice points must be accessible without use of a ladder, etc. The splice machinery is too unwieldy.

Thanks for your helpful comments wink but I've hopefully already taken all your points into consideration after previously referring to the BTOR Developers Guide.

The conduit to be used is flexible steel which covers the fire hazard problem of more than 2 metres of external BFT being used indoors, and the CSP will be in a floor to ceiling ground-floor utilities cupboard so that should provide access without a ladder wink

Edited by Rastus (Thu 30-Jan-14 21:04:20)

Standard User Rastus
(committed) Thu 30-Jan-14 21:03:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
So the external feed will be via overhead BFT ? Then what you suggest sounds do-able. You really just need to be there when the 1st stage task is done, tea helps.

Yes, overhead feed, thanks for the vote of confidence smile

The proposed location in the utilities cupboard is immediately adjacent to the kitchen so well within range of the kettle wink Will probably be able to get hold of some nice biscuits and cookies to soak the tea up.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jan-14 21:16:16
Print Post

To be fair though, the engineer may still well want to site the CSP on the exterior wall. It's what they are supposed to do. It should also be added that I've yet to do a first stage visit where the punter was aware that we were coming to fit it. Obviously they get notification of the second visit.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jan-14 21:19:34
Print Post

Well for you fabulously wealthy types ......... tongue

http://www.berkeleygroup.co.uk/property-developers/b...

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 30-Jan-14 21:27:23
Print Post

Shhh, I don't want anyone here as a neighbour.

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 30-Jan-14 21:37:20
Print Post

HeHe. I assume the prices aren't shown for the usual reason.

Two snippets from today's Times:-
A female bodyguard stole £12m of rare diamonds from the former wife of ....
She allegedly borrowed them with the lady's daughter's permission, had replicas made worth £150, and returned the fakes.

That £12m is mind-boggling enough, but it was just two diamond rings. One a 12.71-carat diamond, the other a 27.1-carat diamond.
A stay-at-home husband (in a divorce claim) is asking for a slice of £11m in assets from his wife ... (they) lived an opulent lifestyle during their 15-year marriage ... a £1 million wine collection ... an unmortgaged £4.5 million flat in Kensington.
Sob!

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 30-Jan-14 21:38:29)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 30-Jan-14 21:37:58
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Nice one.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jan-14 22:13:44
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

How much not to tell 'em which one is yours then ? tongue

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 30-Jan-14 22:20:44
Print Post

His is the one with the belfry.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jan-14 22:25:24
Print Post

Oh, I tought that was a Toyota ?!?!

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 31-Jan-14 00:43:19
Print Post

I tought (sic) I taw a putty-tat!

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-Jan-14 17:13:41
Print Post

Re: FTTP price increase

Apparently the lead time for FTTPoD installs is several months. New prices are implemented from 1st May, last batch of FTTPoD exchanges announced by end of March - so does this mean it is now impossible for anyone in the last batch of exchanges to get fibre at the old contract price?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 31-Jan-14 17:22:01
Print Post

Re: FTTP price increase

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

Would they refuse to take enquiries/orders for the whole of April?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to