General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Mar-14 23:33:22
Print Post

Re: Who to contact regarding fttc cabinet connection?

[re: equiton] [link to this post]

If the estimate is very low for a line it is known that Openreach do not offer the service for specific lines, so if you are at over 2km from cabinet then pretty much you have the reason

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User StuB
(committed) Mon 10-Mar-14 23:33:24
Print Post

[re: equiton] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by equiton:
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
What do you mean by the cabinet is operational? That some people on the same cabinet as you actually have a service?

Yes people on the same cabinet & same ISP. I started a thread about this a while back and the general conclusion is that it is due to distance.
I have as yet never got any sort of clear answer from an ISP or bt wholesale, they generaly say the distance should not be a problem. This situation where nobody seems to be able to access information from open reach makes planning very difficult.
my message for the OP is despite many phonecalls and email enquiries I have found no better information than the bt wholsale adsl checker. I have also recieved contradictory information, letters from BT saying FTTC is in our area, TALKTALK telling me it will be available in a few weeks time 5 months ago and it been available at our adress according to samknows.
For the OP it was BT open reach engineers who told me where the cabinet was physicaly located.

I have a friend who's place is about 1km from the main road and there is a fibre box right where the roads meet but they won't connect anyone on his road to fibre saying that the lines are too poor quality and they won't work properly.

He currently gets about 0.2mbps.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Mar-14 23:34:26
Print Post

[re: StuB] [link to this post]

Depends also if that is their PCP and also the route, cables don't always radiate out in the shortest manner

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Mar-14 23:45:10
Print Post

Cabinet 26 I believe
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.380391,-2.039268,3...

Distance is the key here, as with the M5 bisecting the route, to drive its 2.3 miles as in nothing. a walking route is 1.3m which might give 10 Mbps

So your probability is low in terms of benefit and depends on the ambitions of the BDUK project for the area. Willing to bet lots more densely packed villages that will see service first.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 10-Mar-14 23:49:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by StuB:
I have a friend who's place is about 1km from the main road and there is a fibre box right where the roads meet but they won't connect anyone on his road to fibre saying that the lines are too poor quality and they won't work properly.
Are you sure that it is an Openreach fibre cabinet? See this page. Those three (the 288 and two 128s) are the only kinds.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User StuB
(committed) Tue 11-Mar-14 09:07:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Cabinet 26 I believe
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.380391,-2.039268,3...

Distance is the key here, as with the M5 bisecting the route, to drive its 2.3 miles as in nothing. a walking route is 1.3m which might give 10 Mbps

So your probability is low in terms of benefit and depends on the ambitions of the BDUK project for the area. Willing to bet lots more densely packed villages that will see service first.

Well spotted, thank you very much.

I'd looked very close to there but hadn't got to that spot.

I'm surprised it's located there as I know someone who lives within a few hundred metres of that cabinet and their connection is even worse than at the place we're looking at. Presumably their cable goes the long way around or it's just a poor piece of copper.

I'll check it out later on to make sure it's not had a fibre box placed near it but I've not seen any work near there recently and as you say it's unlikely.to be a high priority.

The area is on the border of the Rubery, Hillside and Bromsgrove exchanges and once Rubery is done they'll all be fibre enabled but the fringes are relatively sparsely populated so I understand they have their priorities elsewhere.
Standard User StuB
(committed) Tue 11-Mar-14 09:42:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Are you sure that it is an Openreach fibre cabinet? See this page. Those three (the 288 and two 128s) are the only kinds.

The cabinet in question is fibre enabled however I've just checked and it's not the cabinet he's connected, it actually goes to a different exchange.

He's actually connected to cabinet 8 on Hillside and that too is also enabled but presumably the line is too long or poor to support it for him.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=52.335898,-1.953542...

He lives near Moat Farm on Grange Lane and gets 0.2mbps via adsl.

Marker A shows where there is a fibre cabinet connected to the Redditch exchange which he thought he was connected to but after checking it shows he isn't and by the cabinet they get the full 80/20 speeds as you'd expect.

Top Cat hotel gets 20mbps down and if you go up the Redditch Road a bit further to Alvechurch FC they can get 40mb.

Having checked a couple of other numbers in the area my guess is that his cabinet is near the middle of Alvechurch so it's just a long line.

What gets him is that every month or so he gets a flyer through the door saying that BT Infinity is now available in his area.
Standard User flipdee
(member) Tue 11-Mar-14 10:16:26
Print Post

Usually sited close to the original PCP, therefore the tie cables don't need to be too long.
Another thing to remember is, there will be additional distance from the PCP (passive connection point) to the FTTC cabinet itself.
It's a bit of a pain when a cable route crosses a road to get to the PCP only to have to cross the road again to reach the FTTC cabinet, unnecessarily long but probably down to planning restrictions on the siting of the FTTC cabinet.
I wonder how the costings/viability study for a handful of houses just beyond the reach of an existing FTTC cabinet will work out.
I know quite a number of locations like this, however due to FTTC's distance limitations one particular 5 mile long road might need 3 or 4 downstream fttc distribution side dslams which probably means some premises will never get fttc.
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Tue 11-Mar-14 10:59:49
Print Post

Hillside PCP 8
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 11-Mar-14 11:09:52
Print Post

[re: flipdee] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flipdee:
PCP (passive connection point)
[cough]
PCP = Primary Cross-connection Point, normally abbreviated to Primary Connection Point.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to