General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Mar-14 11:37:15
Print Post

Re: Who to contact regarding fttc cabinet connection?

[re: flipdee] [link to this post]

It has always been on the discussion agenda, and stated aim is 98-99% for 2018 using mixture of tech

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User flipdee
(member) Mon 24-Mar-14 09:28:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Has it finally happened?100%
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Mar-14 10:07:19
Print Post

100% depends on Phase 3 which is still in embryonic planning http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6373-progress-rep...

Northamptonshire talked of 100% previously, but then the excitement was short lived as was ambition rather than a defined plan. My ambition is to be a millionaire but minimal prospects.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User flipdee
(member) Mon 24-Mar-14 13:33:26
Print Post

Cheers for the reply Andrew, apologies, Mark's 100% headline in the ispreview article had grabbed my attention, I appreciate you had already published an article on it.
So with the trial of fttRN is this 100% chat still ultimately too far off to be of any real interest?
Am I right in thinking though that BT have effectively committed to 100% in the contract? If so is this the first time?
Cheers,
flipdee
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Mar-14 03:57:58
Print Post

As far as I can make out, the "100%" thing was started by a local paper report giving too much credence to the generic, vague "100% goal" that NyNet has had since before becoming a BDUK pilot.

Unfortunately, the only real change last week was that SFNY had tentatively decided to spend the £8m (already approved by the council last October) with BT (who could then free up £2m from the USC pot). There was no new money, and no higher percentage of properties that the funding could target. In fact, the number of properties had dropped since the (preliminary) estimate last October, so this was actually bad news, not good!

I can understand a local paper making this mistake.

Mark's ispreview report then repeated this emphasis, without realising that the money had already been approved last year, and that this part wasn't anything new. It wasn't anything worth reporting, in fact.

However, when I saw the reports, I saw that they reported nothing new, but they did tell me that the council had actually had a meeting and discussed broadband. When I went to the source (the NYCC website, with the meeting agenda and minutes), I found the actual report and discussion.

Having read these documents, and having read the same things from the meeting in October that approved the £8m (£3m from NYCC, £3m from BDUK, £2m from ERDF) in the first place, I could tell that this money was still for the 90% target. In October it was hoped it would lift coverage to 93%, but it doesn't seem to have turned out this way.

The only real mention of the 100% was related to the phase 3, or SEP, funding. And only mentioned as an end-goal.

In my opinion, the coverage that the phase 2 funding gives (smaller than hoped), and the scale of the phase 3 funding (pretty small, IMO), means that there is still nowhere near enough money to reach 100% yet; not for North Yorkshire at least. It's a huge, sparse, beautiful place that doesn't lend itself to cheap wiring (I'm surprised we don't see 4G or wireless solutions here).

FTTRN might help spread coverage deeper - but I think it will only help it go cheaper if it includes the possibilities of wireless backhaul and/or reverse power. I could be wrong, but I think these will still not reach 100%.

It turns out that there was a lot more worth publishing on items other than the "100%", so it was good to see MrSaffron turn it into a story. The phase 1 progress, and trial of FTTRN seem much bigger items to me.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Mar-14 09:12:06
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

To hit 100% coverage and do it properly would mean almost limitless money, as you will keep looking and keep finding anomalies in the data that means another property was missed out.

That said there are some convinced that there was a national 100% superfast target at one time and this has been downgraded.

Standard User flipdee
(member) Tue 25-Mar-14 09:34:20
Print Post

It makes you wonder who left in a decision making role (local government/council) still believes the 100% aspect.
I'm still convinced the latest goal within Northern Ireland will come up short after more people make it known that they have been missed.
My concern is how accurate these numbers are, I believe in Northern Ireland they have more or less based it on reported not-spots and this is a little hit or miss.
In an ideal world of course everyone who cannot get would sign up to a register but it doesn't work that way.
Btw , WWWombat, very nice post, very informative.
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Tue 25-Mar-14 10:40:01
Print Post

I can't answer the question directly; but would suggest that probably about 100 M to 200 M, from my understanding of the operations and attenuation of VDSL on the copper part, from the FTTC Cabinet to the PCP Cabinet, then we have the existing copper part from the PCP to the premises.

I have the irony that the recently installed FTTC Cabnet is about 15 Metres from the NTE in the cupboard "under the stairs".

But the VDSL signals, in copper, have to carry on about another 50 Metres northwards, under the footpath to the PCP, to be joined to the existing wiring.

The existing wiring then heads about 100 metres eastwards, to a pavement level jointing box, to come back about another 100 Metres to the house and the NTE.

So around 260 Metres, to move the signals 10 Metres.

Unfortunately, there is no existing phone ducting to cover that 10 Metres, although in practice, there is a jointing chamber only 5 Metres away, which would reduce the main distance involved, and only 5 Metres from that chamber, there is direct access to the final bit of tubing already bringing the existing phone line in to the house!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Mar-14 10:55:34
Print Post

And then we get into the game of verifying the sign-ups, e.g. people with slow speeds due to wiring, old packages etc
Or just plain old 'me first' type people.

All down to the cost and expertise of those checking the systems.

We do keep an eye on roll-outs and here is a new figure, not fully happy so have removed some precision, but close enough to say that BT is not lying

670,000 premises in Northern Ireland connected to a street cabinet that has an FTTC partner, and frighteningly close to the number of households at 700,000 in NI. http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census/2011-census/pop...

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Mar-14 15:22:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by flipdee:
It makes you wonder who left in a decision making role (local government/council) still believes the 100% aspect.

I've been watching the chiefs of the North Yorkshire project, and the tone of their presentations over the last few months - where they have been doing their "pilot" role, and feeding back into the startup of the SEP.

They are keenly aware that 100% of their electorate are expecting results. And that they can't easily deliver.

It appears that they know they have a slippery problem to deal with. They know that going with a wired BT solution doesn't give them as much coverage as going with an altnet/wireless solution. However, it seems that they are driven in the opposite direction by questions of risk, and of open/wholesale access (it seems consumers really do want to be able to choose their "safe & sound" existing ISP).

I've also seen them ask whether loosening the threshold will help, because they are being told by consumers that 10-15 Mbps will be plenty.

Some hints from NY are within this presentation: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads...

But I think these slides capture the thinking, and the dilemmas, best:
http://www.slideshare.net/TechUK/reaching-the-last-1...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to