General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User StuB
(committed) Mon 10-Mar-14 19:42:25
Print Post

Who to contact regarding fttc cabinet connection?

[link to this post]

We're currently looking at purchasing a property however the broadband speeds there are poor due to distance from the exchange and as I work from home a lot the connection wouldn't be sufficient.

I'm trying to find out if fibre will happen in the near future and I believe the RFS date on the exchange is May this year.

The exchange in question is the Rubery exchange and the cabinet I believe the property will be connected to is number 26 however I can't physically find it from looking around the local area.

There aren't many properties nearby so I'm doubtful it'll get upgraded to fttc but I'd like to find out for sure if it's going to happen in the near future.

Can anyone tell me if I can email someone to check about future availability or help me physically locate it to see if it has a fibre cabinet nearby?

Many thanks.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 10-Mar-14 19:49:25
Print Post

Re: Who to contact regarding fttc cabinet connection?

[re: StuB] [link to this post]

A postcode would help

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Mar-14 19:58:38
Print Post

Until a cabinet has its fibre twin that is live and taking orders you cannot be sure, since plans can change. Or problems with mains/cabling mean it gets delayed for months.

In short only buy property where the connection already available to it matches your requirements.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User equiton
(newbie) Mon 10-Mar-14 21:47:27
Print Post

I have been trying to get further information about possible FTTC for 6 months now. Our exchange is operational, the cabinet is operational since last summer but nobody can give me any information about our village. Everybody just uses the bt wholesale ADSL checkers and says that is the only information available.
I am not sure why they are so tight lipped and do not take into account that people are making plans but I am starting to be impressed how secret they keep this information.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Mar-14 22:01:45
Print Post

[re: equiton] [link to this post]

What do you mean by the cabinet is operational? That some people on the same cabinet as you actually have a service?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 10-Mar-14 22:22:13
Print Post

If you put the full address into this checker, does it mention FTTC/FTTP? It should give you the cabinet number at least.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User equiton
(newbie) Mon 10-Mar-14 22:31:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
What do you mean by the cabinet is operational? That some people on the same cabinet as you actually have a service?

Yes people on the same cabinet & same ISP. I started a thread about this a while back and the general conclusion is that it is due to distance.
I have as yet never got any sort of clear answer from an ISP or bt wholesale, they generaly say the distance should not be a problem. This situation where nobody seems to be able to access information from open reach makes planning very difficult.
my message for the OP is despite many phonecalls and email enquiries I have found no better information than the bt wholsale adsl checker. I have also recieved contradictory information, letters from BT saying FTTC is in our area, TALKTALK telling me it will be available in a few weeks time 5 months ago and it been available at our adress according to samknows.
For the OP it was BT open reach engineers who told me where the cabinet was physicaly located.
Standard User StuB
(committed) Mon 10-Mar-14 23:07:18
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

The postcode is B61 0RB which according to the ADSL checker is connected to cabinet 26 and then the Rubery exchange.
Standard User StuB
(committed) Mon 10-Mar-14 23:09:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
If you put the full address into this checker, does it mention FTTC/FTTP? It should give you the cabinet number at least.

I used that link to get the cabinet number 26 as mentioned in my original post, there is no mention of fttc there. The best available is ADSL2+.

Edited by StuB (Mon 10-Mar-14 23:17:09)

Standard User StuB
(committed) Mon 10-Mar-14 23:30:04
Print Post

Until a cabinet has its fibre twin that is live and taking orders you cannot be sure, since plans can change. Or problems with mains/cabling mean it gets delayed for months.

In short only buy property where the connection already available to it matches your requirements.

I appreciate that plans can change, I'm just trying to get the best indication possible.

Edited by StuB (Mon 10-Mar-14 23:30:45)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Mar-14 23:33:22
Print Post

If the estimate is very low for a line it is known that Openreach do not offer the service for specific lines, so if you are at over 2km from cabinet then pretty much you have the reason

Standard User StuB
(committed) Mon 10-Mar-14 23:33:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by equiton:

Yes people on the same cabinet & same ISP. I started a thread about this a while back and the general conclusion is that it is due to distance.
I have as yet never got any sort of clear answer from an ISP or bt wholesale, they generaly say the distance should not be a problem. This situation where nobody seems to be able to access information from open reach makes planning very difficult.
my message for the OP is despite many phonecalls and email enquiries I have found no better information than the bt wholsale adsl checker. I have also recieved contradictory information, letters from BT saying FTTC is in our area, TALKTALK telling me it will be available in a few weeks time 5 months ago and it been available at our adress according to samknows.
For the OP it was BT open reach engineers who told me where the cabinet was physicaly located.

I have a friend who's place is about 1km from the main road and there is a fibre box right where the roads meet but they won't connect anyone on his road to fibre saying that the lines are too poor quality and they won't work properly.

He currently gets about 0.2mbps.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Mar-14 23:34:26
Print Post

Depends also if that is their PCP and also the route, cables don't always radiate out in the shortest manner

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Mar-14 23:45:10
Print Post

Cabinet 26 I believe
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.380391,-2.039268,3...

Distance is the key here, as with the M5 bisecting the route, to drive its 2.3 miles as in nothing. a walking route is 1.3m which might give 10 Mbps

So your probability is low in terms of benefit and depends on the ambitions of the BDUK project for the area. Willing to bet lots more densely packed villages that will see service first.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 10-Mar-14 23:49:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by StuB:
I have a friend who's place is about 1km from the main road and there is a fibre box right where the roads meet but they won't connect anyone on his road to fibre saying that the lines are too poor quality and they won't work properly.
Are you sure that it is an Openreach fibre cabinet? See this page. Those three (the 288 and two 128s) are the only kinds.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User StuB
(committed) Tue 11-Mar-14 09:07:55
Print Post

Cabinet 26 I believe
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.380391,-2.039268,3...

Distance is the key here, as with the M5 bisecting the route, to drive its 2.3 miles as in nothing. a walking route is 1.3m which might give 10 Mbps

So your probability is low in terms of benefit and depends on the ambitions of the BDUK project for the area. Willing to bet lots more densely packed villages that will see service first.

Well spotted, thank you very much.

I'd looked very close to there but hadn't got to that spot.

I'm surprised it's located there as I know someone who lives within a few hundred metres of that cabinet and their connection is even worse than at the place we're looking at. Presumably their cable goes the long way around or it's just a poor piece of copper.

I'll check it out later on to make sure it's not had a fibre box placed near it but I've not seen any work near there recently and as you say it's unlikely.to be a high priority.

The area is on the border of the Rubery, Hillside and Bromsgrove exchanges and once Rubery is done they'll all be fibre enabled but the fringes are relatively sparsely populated so I understand they have their priorities elsewhere.
Standard User StuB
(committed) Tue 11-Mar-14 09:42:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Are you sure that it is an Openreach fibre cabinet? See this page. Those three (the 288 and two 128s) are the only kinds.

The cabinet in question is fibre enabled however I've just checked and it's not the cabinet he's connected, it actually goes to a different exchange.

He's actually connected to cabinet 8 on Hillside and that too is also enabled but presumably the line is too long or poor to support it for him.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=52.335898,-1.953542...

He lives near Moat Farm on Grange Lane and gets 0.2mbps via adsl.

Marker A shows where there is a fibre cabinet connected to the Redditch exchange which he thought he was connected to but after checking it shows he isn't and by the cabinet they get the full 80/20 speeds as you'd expect.

Top Cat hotel gets 20mbps down and if you go up the Redditch Road a bit further to Alvechurch FC they can get 40mb.

Having checked a couple of other numbers in the area my guess is that his cabinet is near the middle of Alvechurch so it's just a long line.

What gets him is that every month or so he gets a flyer through the door saying that BT Infinity is now available in his area.
Standard User flipdee
(member) Tue 11-Mar-14 10:16:26
Print Post

Usually sited close to the original PCP, therefore the tie cables don't need to be too long.
Another thing to remember is, there will be additional distance from the PCP (passive connection point) to the FTTC cabinet itself.
It's a bit of a pain when a cable route crosses a road to get to the PCP only to have to cross the road again to reach the FTTC cabinet, unnecessarily long but probably down to planning restrictions on the siting of the FTTC cabinet.
I wonder how the costings/viability study for a handful of houses just beyond the reach of an existing FTTC cabinet will work out.
I know quite a number of locations like this, however due to FTTC's distance limitations one particular 5 mile long road might need 3 or 4 downstream fttc distribution side dslams which probably means some premises will never get fttc.
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Tue 11-Mar-14 10:59:49
Print Post

Hillside PCP 8
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 11-Mar-14 11:09:52
Print Post

[re: flipdee] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flipdee:
PCP (passive connection point)
[cough]
PCP = Primary Cross-connection Point, normally abbreviated to Primary Connection Point.

Standard User flipdee
(member) Tue 11-Mar-14 11:15:43
Print Post

Haha, I know.
Primary connection point isn't terribly descriptive to the un-informed.
Possibly made the mistake of highlighting that the pcp is a passive cabinet for jointing of cables.
In reality probably just didn't explain fully.
Anyway, what's the furthest distance anyone has seen between pcp and associated fttc cabinet?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 11-Mar-14 11:20:19
Print Post

Nope tongue. I don't buy that get out smile.

Standard User flipdee
(member) Tue 11-Mar-14 11:23:15
Print Post

Haha
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Mar-14 11:37:43
Print Post

Only a problem if the goal is 100% coverage and this was in the signed contract...

Standard User StuB
(committed) Tue 11-Mar-14 12:05:27
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
Hillside PCP 8

Excellent, thanks for that. By road it's about 1.5 miles to his place from the cabinet and a lot of the cabling will probably be old so it goes a long way towards explaining why fibre isn't possible.

While everyone's sleuthing skills are on such good form I have one final request for a cabinet location which I've not been able to find when I've looked before.

I have another friend who lives right by the Hopwood House Pub and is connected to cabinet 19 which is not fibre enabled and again is connected to the Hillside exchange. Cabinet 20 is about 100m away (marked by the green arrow) and that is fibre enabled.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=52.37304,-1.956677&...

Can anyone help me locate number 19 please?
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Tue 11-Mar-14 12:28:19
Print Post

PCP19
Standard User StuB
(committed) Tue 11-Mar-14 12:48:48
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
PCP19

Many thanks.

I've been past there loads of times and I've never seen it, I must be going blind. I even walked past it recently to look at which number cabinet 20 was.

Sadly I don't think that one even has a fibre box by it yet but at least we can look for if they do change it.
Standard User flipdee
(member) Wed 12-Mar-14 10:55:26
Print Post

Very true.
Do we know of anywhere that has signed a 100% contract?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Mar-14 11:13:23
Print Post

UK no.

Standard User flipdee
(member) Wed 12-Mar-14 11:22:06
Print Post

Had you seen any of these presentations, Andrew?
http://www.techuk.org/insights/meeting-notes/item/11...
I know it's not exactly laying out the magic solution but interesting that it's on the "agenda".

cheers,
flipdee
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Mar-14 11:37:15
Print Post

It has always been on the discussion agenda, and stated aim is 98-99% for 2018 using mixture of tech

Standard User flipdee
(member) Mon 24-Mar-14 09:28:40
Print Post

Has it finally happened?100%
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Mar-14 10:07:19
Print Post

100% depends on Phase 3 which is still in embryonic planning http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6373-progress-rep...

Northamptonshire talked of 100% previously, but then the excitement was short lived as was ambition rather than a defined plan. My ambition is to be a millionaire but minimal prospects.

Standard User flipdee
(member) Mon 24-Mar-14 13:33:26
Print Post

Cheers for the reply Andrew, apologies, Mark's 100% headline in the ispreview article had grabbed my attention, I appreciate you had already published an article on it.
So with the trial of fttRN is this 100% chat still ultimately too far off to be of any real interest?
Am I right in thinking though that BT have effectively committed to 100% in the contract? If so is this the first time?
Cheers,
flipdee
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Mar-14 03:57:58
Print Post

As far as I can make out, the "100%" thing was started by a local paper report giving too much credence to the generic, vague "100% goal" that NyNet has had since before becoming a BDUK pilot.

Unfortunately, the only real change last week was that SFNY had tentatively decided to spend the £8m (already approved by the council last October) with BT (who could then free up £2m from the USC pot). There was no new money, and no higher percentage of properties that the funding could target. In fact, the number of properties had dropped since the (preliminary) estimate last October, so this was actually bad news, not good!

I can understand a local paper making this mistake.

Mark's ispreview report then repeated this emphasis, without realising that the money had already been approved last year, and that this part wasn't anything new. It wasn't anything worth reporting, in fact.

However, when I saw the reports, I saw that they reported nothing new, but they did tell me that the council had actually had a meeting and discussed broadband. When I went to the source (the NYCC website, with the meeting agenda and minutes), I found the actual report and discussion.

Having read these documents, and having read the same things from the meeting in October that approved the £8m (£3m from NYCC, £3m from BDUK, £2m from ERDF) in the first place, I could tell that this money was still for the 90% target. In October it was hoped it would lift coverage to 93%, but it doesn't seem to have turned out this way.

The only real mention of the 100% was related to the phase 3, or SEP, funding. And only mentioned as an end-goal.

In my opinion, the coverage that the phase 2 funding gives (smaller than hoped), and the scale of the phase 3 funding (pretty small, IMO), means that there is still nowhere near enough money to reach 100% yet; not for North Yorkshire at least. It's a huge, sparse, beautiful place that doesn't lend itself to cheap wiring (I'm surprised we don't see 4G or wireless solutions here).

FTTRN might help spread coverage deeper - but I think it will only help it go cheaper if it includes the possibilities of wireless backhaul and/or reverse power. I could be wrong, but I think these will still not reach 100%.

It turns out that there was a lot more worth publishing on items other than the "100%", so it was good to see MrSaffron turn it into a story. The phase 1 progress, and trial of FTTRN seem much bigger items to me.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Mar-14 09:12:06
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

To hit 100% coverage and do it properly would mean almost limitless money, as you will keep looking and keep finding anomalies in the data that means another property was missed out.

That said there are some convinced that there was a national 100% superfast target at one time and this has been downgraded.

Standard User flipdee
(member) Tue 25-Mar-14 09:34:20
Print Post

It makes you wonder who left in a decision making role (local government/council) still believes the 100% aspect.
I'm still convinced the latest goal within Northern Ireland will come up short after more people make it known that they have been missed.
My concern is how accurate these numbers are, I believe in Northern Ireland they have more or less based it on reported not-spots and this is a little hit or miss.
In an ideal world of course everyone who cannot get would sign up to a register but it doesn't work that way.
Btw , WWWombat, very nice post, very informative.
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Tue 25-Mar-14 10:40:01
Print Post

I can't answer the question directly; but would suggest that probably about 100 M to 200 M, from my understanding of the operations and attenuation of VDSL on the copper part, from the FTTC Cabinet to the PCP Cabinet, then we have the existing copper part from the PCP to the premises.

I have the irony that the recently installed FTTC Cabnet is about 15 Metres from the NTE in the cupboard "under the stairs".

But the VDSL signals, in copper, have to carry on about another 50 Metres northwards, under the footpath to the PCP, to be joined to the existing wiring.

The existing wiring then heads about 100 metres eastwards, to a pavement level jointing box, to come back about another 100 Metres to the house and the NTE.

So around 260 Metres, to move the signals 10 Metres.

Unfortunately, there is no existing phone ducting to cover that 10 Metres, although in practice, there is a jointing chamber only 5 Metres away, which would reduce the main distance involved, and only 5 Metres from that chamber, there is direct access to the final bit of tubing already bringing the existing phone line in to the house!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Mar-14 10:55:34
Print Post

And then we get into the game of verifying the sign-ups, e.g. people with slow speeds due to wiring, old packages etc
Or just plain old 'me first' type people.

All down to the cost and expertise of those checking the systems.

We do keep an eye on roll-outs and here is a new figure, not fully happy so have removed some precision, but close enough to say that BT is not lying

670,000 premises in Northern Ireland connected to a street cabinet that has an FTTC partner, and frighteningly close to the number of households at 700,000 in NI. http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census/2011-census/pop...

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Mar-14 15:22:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by flipdee:
It makes you wonder who left in a decision making role (local government/council) still believes the 100% aspect.

I've been watching the chiefs of the North Yorkshire project, and the tone of their presentations over the last few months - where they have been doing their "pilot" role, and feeding back into the startup of the SEP.

They are keenly aware that 100% of their electorate are expecting results. And that they can't easily deliver.

It appears that they know they have a slippery problem to deal with. They know that going with a wired BT solution doesn't give them as much coverage as going with an altnet/wireless solution. However, it seems that they are driven in the opposite direction by questions of risk, and of open/wholesale access (it seems consumers really do want to be able to choose their "safe & sound" existing ISP).

I've also seen them ask whether loosening the threshold will help, because they are being told by consumers that 10-15 Mbps will be plenty.

Some hints from NY are within this presentation: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads...

But I think these slides capture the thinking, and the dilemmas, best:
http://www.slideshare.net/TechUK/reaching-the-last-1...
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Mar-14 15:24:38
Print Post

That suggests that NI needs a solution that goes deeper than the existing cabinets; certainly there aren't many more cabinets left to convert!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Mar-14 15:30:46
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

NI is also one that has tried the Fixed Wireless solution.

For North Yorks, there are mast location issues and questions over the number of masts needed in comparison to Lincolnshire for example.

My understanding of the Fujitsu North Yorks plan was it was a mixed technology roll-out but as no-one has made public their plans it is hard to see if areas that are an issue with existing BT network are also an issue with other alternates.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to