General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Hoolay88
(learned) Sat 19-Apr-14 14:46:45
Print Post

Re: Ping graph request from Plusnet & Sky FTTC users please

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

no, they're 100% bt fibre cabinets, ive checked and they all have had BT engineers working on them at some point
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Apr-14 15:24:46
Print Post

[re: Hoolay88] [link to this post]

IMO it sounds like someone has got their wires crossed,The only mention of sky developing a new product was for those customers of BE who had a static IP

The new ASDL PRO product would offer a Static IP and also offer the option of custom profiles similar to what was offered by BE , and they have also retained some or all the BE support staff to provide tech support, They have since said that they may also at some point offer this product to new/existing sky customers
As for the FTTC offering the PRO product looks as it may start to offer a static IP as an option,
But as for anything else I would think would be very doubtfull Sky have always prefered to let DLM decide what's best, Probably because it saves them a lot of money employing support staff to deal with issues,

And from the info on the skyuser forum, it sounds that they won't be changing their desision anytime soon, as it does say that they will not change the profile at a later stage(by saying that the profile cannot be changed) when it can be & apparently at no cost to the isp you may have more chance by asking the BT tech support
Standard User Hoolay88
(learned) Sat 19-Apr-14 15:39:53
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

BT Tech support are utter useless, im not a know it all by any means but i know the basics and yet, what i talk about to them, they seem to have no idea what im talking about and just refer to "your line speed is with in the minimum of 20mbps therefore there is no fault and you are receiving an acceptable service"

Its one of the main reasons i want to leave BT, their customer service havent got a clue

Regarding sky profile customization, ive been speaking to someone from sky and they said they are working on a feature set to release on their pro FTTC package so customers can tweak their connection according to what they want from it. eg gamers want lower latency etc. (im not 100% on it all but we'll see)

Edited by Hoolay88 (Sat 19-Apr-14 15:44:58)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Apr-14 16:00:46
Print Post

I can't see how they will be able to do that with FTTC because only BTOpenreach are able to access it, It's not made accessable to sky or any ISP it's simply not offered by BTOR, and without them relenting, which seeing as theres no other isp's making any noises about being able to offer it , isnt going to happen anytime soon

Who ever is telling you that they are is talking nonsense Sky sales staff seem to have a habbit of telling potential customers a few porkies . they even manage to mislead ex BE customers , So i would take it with a large pinch of salt

And i've already said if BTOR did start to allow any control over DLM or custom profiles to be set ,They would have to do the same for every CP /ISP not just sky

And you wouldn't be alone in wanting some control over the connection that you are paying for, many people who want low latency will readlily accept the possibilty of some instabilty as a result ie the ocasional re sync or periods of high error rates(within limits) what may not be acceptable to DLM may be perfectly fine for some customers

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 19-Apr-14 16:05:22)

Standard User Hoolay88
(learned) Sat 19-Apr-14 17:23:07
Print Post

im thinking about zen because they are on 'speed' profile, and im thinking about sky because i believe they have their own back end equipment/network.

As i dont know much in detail about both, its hard for me to determine what i feel would be more beneficial for ping times
Standard User gmk
(learned) Sat 19-Apr-14 18:41:18
Print Post

You're on Infinity 40/10 with interleaving so you'll the line will likely be interleaved when you migrate, if you're gaming you'll be playing against people with fast path pings most likely so I wouldn't really worry about it. If you want to see Zen traceroutes take a look at this Google search. I'd expect lower pings on Sky if down south due to Sky's network topology.

Edited by gmk (Sat 19-Apr-14 18:42:15)

Standard User Hoolay88
(learned) Sat 19-Apr-14 19:40:10
Print Post

[re: gmk] [link to this post]

but due to zen using the 'speed' profile doesnt this mean that the level of interleaving will be reduced due to less strict stability parameters to meet?

why would being down south give me better pings with sky than zen? zen have PoPs in central london
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Sat 19-Apr-14 19:45:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommy45:
As for the FTTC offering the PRO product looks as it may start to offer a static IP as an option,

Sky are already offering static IP's for existing customers on their fibre pro package although it's not available from all exchanges. I should have mine by the end of the month.
Standard User gmk
(learned) Sat 19-Apr-14 20:13:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by Hoolay88:
but due to zen using the 'speed' profile doesnt this mean that the level of interleaving will be reduced due to less strict stability parameters to meet?

why would being down south give me better pings with sky than zen? zen have PoPs in central london

Like I mentioned earlier, I don't know much about Zen's network, it's could be possible, but my gut is telling me it isn't the case. I don't know about profile specifics, I guess they'll be documented in the FTTC SIN (498) and I'm not sure if they use the speed profile, I'd expect them to use standard, is there any evidence to back that statement up?

I remembered that people down south get latencies around 5ms on Sky Fibre so I had a quick look and found a traceroute...
In reply to a post by francisuk25:
1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms SkyRouter [192.168.0.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 9 ms 7 ms 8 ms ip-84-38-37-10.easynet.co.uk [84.38.37.10]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 5 ms 5 ms 5 ms po-7-0-0.bb1.lon2.uk.m247.com [193.27.64.158]
6 6 ms 5 ms 6 ms 77.243.176.246
7 7 ms 6 ms 6 ms v925-crs4202.logo.serverspace.co.uk [77.246.169.141]
8 6 ms 5 ms 6 ms client-oneprovider.serverspace.co.uk [77.246.174.116]
Trace complete.

I've had a quick look for Zen users getting 5ms (by quick I mean 30 seconds) with this, and haven't found anything that suggests EU's get that sort of latency, so you may find whether or not they do via that, or you could contact them.

Edit: Just noticed that traceroute is in a post-reply directed towards you.

Edited by gmk (Sat 19-Apr-14 20:21:51)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Apr-14 21:14:24
Print Post

Yes Sky has it's own network topolgy , and routes it's transit data over its own core network,So no BTWolesale backhaul /routing to worry about , that's true,

As for ISP's that opt for the GEA speed DLM profile there are 2 i know of who's support staff have provided that info in their answer when questioned by customers on this and other forums, At first due to Zen having it's own network /POP 's in some exchanges , there was origianaly some confusion as to which profile they chose for their FTTC products because of the way the BT ordering systems work,
which resulted in a bit of a mix up at first due to this below

BTW "Standard" = Openreach "Speed"
BTW "Stable" = Openreach "Standard"
BTW "Superstable" = Openreach "Stable"
confirmation that zen use the speed profile

more if needed for the doubters, So for orders that use BTW backhaul they choose the BTW standard profile which maps to the GEA speed profile , and for some reason i can't quite figure out where they can utilize their own network transit via one of their POP's they place a GEA order using the GEA Standard profile by default, but they from what their support have said are willing to change the dlm profile at anytime, they i would imagine would do it from the get go if they where asked when at the time of order

it would'nt come as a suprise if other's order using the speed option too

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 19-Apr-14 21:24:05)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to