General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Thu 01-May-14 08:40:55
Print Post

Re: Just had it installed

[re: ansam] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ansam:
Hello,

I think I will just get onto plus.net and tell them I am not happy with the way its been wired up.

Thanks
Sam

Personally I have no problem with the method used by the contractor, but it is bad practice to double master a line which is what he/she has done.
However it's easy to put right yourself, You have already opened the "extension" to post the photo, all that is required is to unclip the master socket board from the back plate, reassemble and the job is done.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 01-May-14 08:52:38
Print Post

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

Except there will then be no ring signal frown

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 01-May-14 08:53:42
Print Post

A data extension kit will add a bridge tap to your line frown

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ansam
(regular) Thu 01-May-14 08:56:16
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

Hello

So leave the backplate in place?

Thanks
Sam
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-May-14 08:57:48
Print Post

Really?

My answer is no if installed in conjunction with a filtered faceplate it does not. The data extension kit is really just a longer cable to the modem, i.e. like replacing the standard 2m RJ11 lead with a 30m long one. Any downside will be the increase in metres

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Thu 01-May-14 09:04:43
Print Post

This had occurred to me. However that is not an excuse to double master a line, the contractor should have checked if this was required and if so clipped out the service resistor from the extension, alone with any overvolt protection, this would leave the ring cap in place but not directly across the line pair.

With luck the phone used with the socket will not require a ring line.
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Thu 01-May-14 09:07:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by ansam:

Hello

So leave the backplate in place?

Thanks
Sam

Check the phone rings, remove the board and check it still rings, if it does all is well, if not put the board back.
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Thu 01-May-14 09:54:01
Print Post

A data extension kit will add a bridge tap to your line frown

An extension on the unfiltered line will act as a bridge tap if it is connected to the unfiltered IDCs on the faceplate, but the enduser decides to use the socket on the face plate and leaves the extension connected.

If the extension is used then all is well (you can see why a plug-in data extension prevents this sort of thing happening)
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 01-May-14 10:13:50
Print Post

Re: Just had it installed *DELETED*

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Post deleted by MHC
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-May-14 10:26:10
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
It can be done but is certainly frowned upon.

Where did he tie up his horse?
Interesting. This is what the BT engineer did when I had Homehighway installed. The same thing was done for my friend across town. I thought it was standard practice - they asked where you wanted the box to be and they also installed a new master. Presumably because you were getting a second analogue line.

It did cause confusion when I had FTTC installed though. The engineer wasted half an hour trying to work out what was 'wrong' with my wiring. I kept telling him about the relocated master but he didn't seem to believe me(*). Eventually he worked out that he hadn't activated the port on the cabinet but he broke and remade the connections outside the house three times in the end. All completely unnecessary if he'd just listened to me.

I don't think the first engineer ever did anything to my old master though. I think I just have a cable running up to my study then back down from there to the old master. I know that phones go dead if you take the faceplate off the box in the study although I don't have one plugged into the old master so don't know about that.

(*)In that unstated, arrogant way that so many engineers(**) adopt.
(**)Of course as a software engineer I'd never do that wink

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Thu 01-May-14 10:32:12)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to