General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-May-14 10:36:24
Print Post

Re: Just had it installed

[re: ansam] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ansam:
Hello,

Here is a photo of what was the master socket (now the extension).

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y388/samuelbarr/...

Thanks
Sam
I think that's the same as mine except that my 'patch' is in the cables on the outside of the property. Slightly odd to put it there in one way though. My property has additional cables supplying it (eight I think(*)) so the outside cover plate would struggle to fit flush against the wall as it is.

(*)Actually that suggests the HH engineer might have done something with my old master. I remember now that he released the cables from inside then removed the cover outside and was horrified to see 8 wire bundles fall out in front of him. Took him quite a while to find the right pair smile

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 01-May-14 10:40:18
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

If he made the original master socket an extension without any additional wiring then it will be a case of back wiring from the new master. That is certainly frowned upon and BT Technicians are taught NOT to do that - except in exceptional circumstances and this is not one of them. This case is just laziness and cutting corners.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
ISP Representative thatadamwalker
(isp) Thu 01-May-14 10:45:12
Print Post

Hi ansam,

want to drop me a PM with your username and I'll make sure we pass on some feedback about the quality of the work carried out.

Adam Walker
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ansam
(regular) Thu 01-May-14 10:51:42
Print Post

[re: thatadamwalker] [link to this post]

Hello,

So based on the information we know should I consider asking PN to book an engineer to redo the wiring?

Thanks
Sam
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Thu 01-May-14 10:51:58
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
If he made the original master socket an extension without any additional wiring then it will be a case of back wiring from the new master. That is certainly frowned upon and BT Technicians are taught NOT to do that - except in exceptional circumstances and this is not one of them. This case is just laziness and cutting corners.

The reason is it leads to network and customer wiring in the same cable. The politics of who should pay should the cable be damaged is something to behold!

It's often done where an end-user objects to another cable nailed round their door frames, where the existing one is blended in, covered in years of paint.
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Thu 01-May-14 10:55:02
Print Post

Hello,

So based on the information we know should I consider asking PN to book an engineer to redo the wiring?

Thanks
Sam

If you do not mind another cable run through your home, go ahead.

If it were me I would leave well alone after attending to the "extension" socket.
Standard User ansam
(regular) Thu 01-May-14 11:01:37
Print Post

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

Hello,

Okay so recommendation is just to remove the backplate? and the current wiring is fit for purpose (won't affect FTTC performance/speeds?)

So this is the back board I should remove?

Thanks
Sam
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Thu 01-May-14 11:10:48
Print Post

Hello,

Okay so recommendation is just to remove the backplate? and the current wiring is fit for purpose (won't affect FTTC performance/speeds?)

So this is the back board I should remove?

Thanks
Sam

That's it. just unscrew the back plate as you did to take the original photo and unclip the master board. do check that the phone you have pluged into that socket still rings after you have removed the master board.

It takes much longer to write this than it does to do it.
Standard User ansam
(regular) Thu 01-May-14 11:44:17
Print Post

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

Hello,

Okay thanks I will do it later tonight.

Currently I am doing about 72mb on an estimates 79mb, I assume that probably about the best it can get?

Thanks
Sam
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 01-May-14 12:39:31
Print Post

I would be inclined to leave it alone as I can't see another master socket making any difference at all.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to