General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ansam
(regular) Thu 01-May-14 12:47:55
Print Post

Re: Just had it installed

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I would be inclined to leave it alone as I can't see another master socket making any difference at all.

Hello,

Yes 72mb seems to be very good so not going to mess with other than to take the back plate off the old master socket.

Thanks everyone for all of the advice and input.

-Sam

Edited by ansam (Thu 01-May-14 12:48:21)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-May-14 14:44:14
Print Post

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by systemx:
In reply to a post by MHC:
If he made the original master socket an extension without any additional wiring then it will be a case of back wiring from the new master. That is certainly frowned upon and BT Technicians are taught NOT to do that - except in exceptional circumstances and this is not one of them. This case is just laziness and cutting corners.

The reason is it leads to network and customer wiring in the same cable. The politics of who should pay should the cable be damaged is something to behold!

It's often done where an end-user objects to another cable nailed round their door frames, where the existing one is blended in, covered in years of paint.
In my case the new cable goes round the outside of the house. Perhaps there's two cables one up, one down but that sounds unlikely knowing BT. I'll check when I get home smile

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Thu 01-May-14 14:45:36)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-May-14 20:14:22
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
In my case the new cable goes round the outside of the house. Perhaps there's two cables one up, one down but that sounds unlikely knowing BT. I'll check when I get home smile
Lol. Sorta. Gotta love the phone wiring for this house. Three cables come out from behind the entry cover and go around a corner and up the wall. Two of them go into a hole half way up - they are feeding what I can only describe as a 'double master' socket in the second bedroom. It's a twin socket with a horizontal cut along the middle. Curiously it's marked up with what seems to be a range of numbers:

705324 - 705327 (no, not my current number <g>). Can two sockets really provide four numbers?

Anyway the third cable runs along the roof line, around another corner and down to feed the only active master in my study. Presumably one pair goes up to the new master, and the second pair connects back to the original master. So it's dodgy wiring as suggested :-/

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Thu 01-May-14 20:20:23)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-May-14 08:16:48
Print Post

[re: ansam] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ansam:
Currently I am doing about 72mb on an estimates 79mb, I assume that probably about the best it can get?
Most likely. It'll probably fall a bit further over the next six months as more people get the service on your cabinet. Mine dropped from an attainable of 92 to its current sync of 69.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Fri 02-May-14 08:17:10)

Standard User systemx
(experienced) Fri 02-May-14 09:10:47
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Lol. Sorta. Gotta love the phone wiring for this house. Three cables come out from behind the entry cover and go around a corner and up the wall. Two of them go into a hole half way up - they are feeding what I can only describe as a 'double master' socket in the second bedroom. It's a twin socket with a horizontal cut along the middle. Curiously it's marked up with what seems to be a range of numbers:

705324 - 705327 (no, not my current number <g>). Can two sockets really provide four numbers?

Anyway the third cable runs along the roof line, around another corner and down to feed the only active master in my study. Presumably one pair goes up to the new master, and the second pair connects back to the original master. So it's dodgy wiring as suggested :-/

In other countries which have a more sane approach to demarcation between network and customers wiring, there are things called NIDs (Network Interface Device) often on the outside of the building. Network operators responsibility ends at the NID and the customer is free to to do their own wiring or employ someone to do it for them. Each NID is provided with a phone socket to allow the customer to check for network or home wiring faults.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 02-May-14 09:48:59
Print Post

In other countries which have a more sane approach to demarcation between network and customers wiring, there are things called NIDs (Network Interface Device) often on the outside of the building. Network operators responsibility ends at the NID and the customer is free to to do their own wiring or employ someone to do it for them. Each NID is provided with a phone socket to allow the customer to check for network or home wiring faults.

Remember, BT did this with the Grey External NTEs and customer started whinging and whining about it. Probably because it meant they would have to do something themselves and have no-one to blame when they got it wrong.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Fri 02-May-14 09:56:33
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:

Remember, BT did this with the Grey External NTEs and customer started whinging and whining about it. Probably because it meant they would have to do something themselves and have no-one to blame when they got it wrong.

Indeed. But why Openreach should provide an external NTE without a socket for the customer to use (as opposed to the socket it did have) was beyond me.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 02-May-14 11:51:47
Print Post

That was the only really issue with the external NTE, and obvious as soon as we heard about them. No test socket for the end user. Lunacy! Even the BT Phone book tells us to try the test socket before reporting a phone fault frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to