General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Grocket
(newbie) Fri 26-Sep-14 09:47:15
Print Post

Re: BDUK Yeovil Area

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thanks Ribble. What you say makes sense except that the Openreach site makes no acknowledgement of fibre ever coming to that cabinet. Where I used to live, just outside Yeovil the cabinet there has been showing upgrade to Fibre in six months time. By that I mean that it is always at least six months away from whenever you check on a rolling delay. There is no sign of Fibre activity there yet. I assume that one difference is that that one is supposed to be part of BT/Openreach roll out whilst my current cabinet is a BDUK offering. I guess I will just have to wait and see.
I brought the subject up now because I have had my BT line rental on an annual basis and it is due for renewal in a couple of weeks. If fibre were imminent I would rather not be committed to BT for another year but free to consider all options. If it is not coming in the next six months or so then I might as well renew.
Thanks to all who replied to this thread. If or when there is any more news I will post an update. Meanwhile patience is called for I guess.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 26-Sep-14 11:59:02
Print Post

[re: Grocket] [link to this post]

What you say makes sense except that the Openreach site makes no acknowledgement of fibre ever coming to that cabinet
If it's a BDUK project updates are normally via the local BDUK project and the cab only appears as FTTC enabled in the BT checker once FTTC is available.
Standard User Grocket
(newbie) Fri 26-Sep-14 18:47:58
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

I'm sure you are right MCM. However, if you read my original post you will see that this is the very point on which I started this thread. The cabinet is there, the path being dug up when it was installed and again a week or so later. It must be about six weeks since they started although I wasn't counting at the time. I asked Connecting Devon and Somerset who seem to be handling BDUK here but they said that plans for this area depended on a survey which will take place next year. As the cabinet is physically there it all seems odd.
I think that we should put this thread to sleep now until something happens. Thank you to all who contributed.

Edited by Grocket (Fri 26-Sep-14 18:49:35)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Grocket
(newbie) Sun 28-Sep-14 15:39:19
Print Post

How strange is this coincidence? BT, Sky and TalkTalk are now all showing fibre available on my line. That status has changed since the middle of last week.
All I now have to do is finally decide if fibre is definitely for me and if so, which provider/package. If I switch away from BT then I will have to wait until my BT contract ends. Early January 2015 I think. Still there is significant progress!
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Sep-14 15:49:03
Print Post

No, sounds like the NGA has been tested and is now open for orders..

BT seem to be okay from what I read, the provider is the same it's all over the BTO network anyway.

Some say Plusnet and their service is good but takes an age to get through - never been on BT so not sure what theya re like, then if you can live with under 100GB a month (you'll be surprised how fast it goes on FTTC) then aaisp are good they do all line stats on their page for you also.

But I'd best say no more or i'll be accused of trying to sell you something (rofl)
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 28-Sep-14 17:32:37
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

So you've never used BT but you are recommending BT? I'd leave recommending to the experts if I were you.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Sep-14 17:44:56
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Listen little boy just because you have access to special little tools does not make you a man.

You didn't read the bit where I said "from what I read" clearly.

No such thing as a broadband expert to me. it's like someone calling themselves a pie expert as they eat so many.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 28-Sep-14 17:49:51
Print Post

Relax man, I was just pointing out your recommendation is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 28-Sep-14 20:38:22
Print Post

Would it be bullying if I was to warn you about attacking others just because they don't agree with you?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Sep-14 21:28:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes - because they attacked me first and I have every right to defend myself whether it be cyberspace or not.

Noted that: once again it's me you are aiming at and NOT the person who started it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to