General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Grocket
(newbie) Tue 23-Sep-14 10:46:40
Print Post

BDUK Yeovil Area

[link to this post]

I am connected to Yeovil exchange cabinet 51. My cabinet has recently had a fibre cabinet installed next to it. Watching the process I believe that the fibre cabinet is connected to power. I've no idea about how the fibre actually gets there. I understand that this is part of the BDUK programme. I can find no information about when (or if) this will go live. The Connecting Devon & Somerset web site says that my area isn't due for survey until Jan - June 2015. This seems odd to me as the cabinet is already there! Openreach data gives no idea of fibre ever been available for my home. There are at least two other cabinets within half a mile or so that seem the same. One, also in an area 'due for survey next year', shows planned roadworks for later this year. My cabinet is off road on a footpath so I don't expect to get anything on it from that angle. An email to Connecting Devon & Somerset produced such a generalised answer which suggests that they either don't know themselves or can't be bothered to answer a specific question. Any ideas as to where I can cat more info?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Sep-14 12:02:55
Print Post

Re: BDUK Yeovil Area

[re: Grocket] [link to this post]

Believe this is cabinet 51

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.943344,-2.6632128,...

Suspect the website is behind on the roll-out plans

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User fibreplease
(newbie) Tue 23-Sep-14 12:16:38
Print Post

I live in the area and drive past this cabinet occasionally. It seems to me that BTOR have been struggling with this one. The new fibre cab (the larger kind) is in position just down the hill on the main road, but there is still ongoing road works by the old cabinet 51. I'm sure they have been there a few weeks now.

Plusnet Unlimited Fibre @ 75Mbps
Netgear WNDR3700

Freeserve --> Eclipse --> UKOnline --> Xilo/Uno --> Plusnet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User somerset
(committed) Tue 23-Sep-14 12:58:30
Print Post

[re: fibreplease] [link to this post]

Looks like:

O/S 214, STREET SIDE DSLAM CAB NMCNQL, PRESTON RD, YEOVIL, BA20 2EZ on Exchange YEOVIL is served by Cabinet 42
Standard User Grocket
(newbie) Tue 23-Sep-14 13:57:14
Print Post

[re: somerset] [link to this post]

My cabinet is definitely 51 on the path leading from the ASDA traffic lights to Abbey Manor Estate. The cabinet is the same (large one) as the Preston Road and Bluebell Road Road cabinets and all three seem to have a similar status. It's definitely 51 because that is where Openreach had to go to fix a fault about a year ago. My postcode is BA21 3SB. The whole cabinet 51, not the fibre one, was replaced after being set on fire just before that.
fault.
Standard User Grocket
(newbie) Tue 23-Sep-14 14:05:11
Print Post

The cabinet is just beyond the lamppost up this path.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.9438677,-2.6676087...
Standard User fibreplease
(learned) Tue 23-Sep-14 14:38:16
Print Post

Ah, that is indeed not the one I've been driving past.

I do think that the database that the wholesale checker uses does need some updating though. I am waiting for the activation of a different cabinet (19) in Yeovil and I can see the work taking place, but the checker shows no estimated date of when it will be available to place an order.

Plusnet Unlimited Fibre @ 75Mbps
Netgear WNDR3700

Freeserve --> Eclipse --> UKOnline --> Xilo/Uno --> Plusnet
Standard User somerset
(committed) Tue 23-Sep-14 15:50:50
Print Post

Address R/O 5, STREET SIDE DSLAM CAB NMCNQP, ST JAMES' PARK, YEOVIL, BA20 2EX on Exchange YEOVIL is served by Cabinet 51
Standard User deiwise
(committed) Thu 25-Sep-14 13:35:38
Print Post

[re: fibreplease] [link to this post]

Do any of the checkers give a date for when you will be able to sign up? I thought it went from "not currently available" to "available", no? Unless you're talking about the RFS dates, which in my experience are merely estimates.
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 26-Sep-14 08:42:49
Print Post

Cabinet is now completed. I would expect it to be available to order soon
Standard User Grocket
(newbie) Fri 26-Sep-14 09:47:15
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thanks Ribble. What you say makes sense except that the Openreach site makes no acknowledgement of fibre ever coming to that cabinet. Where I used to live, just outside Yeovil the cabinet there has been showing upgrade to Fibre in six months time. By that I mean that it is always at least six months away from whenever you check on a rolling delay. There is no sign of Fibre activity there yet. I assume that one difference is that that one is supposed to be part of BT/Openreach roll out whilst my current cabinet is a BDUK offering. I guess I will just have to wait and see.
I brought the subject up now because I have had my BT line rental on an annual basis and it is due for renewal in a couple of weeks. If fibre were imminent I would rather not be committed to BT for another year but free to consider all options. If it is not coming in the next six months or so then I might as well renew.
Thanks to all who replied to this thread. If or when there is any more news I will post an update. Meanwhile patience is called for I guess.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 26-Sep-14 11:59:02
Print Post

What you say makes sense except that the Openreach site makes no acknowledgement of fibre ever coming to that cabinet
If it's a BDUK project updates are normally via the local BDUK project and the cab only appears as FTTC enabled in the BT checker once FTTC is available.
Standard User Grocket
(newbie) Fri 26-Sep-14 18:47:58
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

I'm sure you are right MCM. However, if you read my original post you will see that this is the very point on which I started this thread. The cabinet is there, the path being dug up when it was installed and again a week or so later. It must be about six weeks since they started although I wasn't counting at the time. I asked Connecting Devon and Somerset who seem to be handling BDUK here but they said that plans for this area depended on a survey which will take place next year. As the cabinet is physically there it all seems odd.
I think that we should put this thread to sleep now until something happens. Thank you to all who contributed.

Edited by Grocket (Fri 26-Sep-14 18:49:35)

Standard User Grocket
(newbie) Sun 28-Sep-14 15:39:19
Print Post

How strange is this coincidence? BT, Sky and TalkTalk are now all showing fibre available on my line. That status has changed since the middle of last week.
All I now have to do is finally decide if fibre is definitely for me and if so, which provider/package. If I switch away from BT then I will have to wait until my BT contract ends. Early January 2015 I think. Still there is significant progress!
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Sep-14 15:49:03
Print Post

No, sounds like the NGA has been tested and is now open for orders..

BT seem to be okay from what I read, the provider is the same it's all over the BTO network anyway.

Some say Plusnet and their service is good but takes an age to get through - never been on BT so not sure what theya re like, then if you can live with under 100GB a month (you'll be surprised how fast it goes on FTTC) then aaisp are good they do all line stats on their page for you also.

But I'd best say no more or i'll be accused of trying to sell you something (rofl)
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 28-Sep-14 17:32:37
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

So you've never used BT but you are recommending BT? I'd leave recommending to the experts if I were you.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Sep-14 17:44:56
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Listen little boy just because you have access to special little tools does not make you a man.

You didn't read the bit where I said "from what I read" clearly.

No such thing as a broadband expert to me. it's like someone calling themselves a pie expert as they eat so many.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 28-Sep-14 17:49:51
Print Post

Relax man, I was just pointing out your recommendation is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 28-Sep-14 20:38:22
Print Post

Would it be bullying if I was to warn you about attacking others just because they don't agree with you?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Sep-14 21:28:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes - because they attacked me first and I have every right to defend myself whether it be cyberspace or not.

Noted that: once again it's me you are aiming at and NOT the person who started it.
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Sep-14 21:29:29
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I was not recommending anyone so you have nothing to base that on.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 28-Sep-14 21:33:59
Print Post

They questioned your recommendation, BUT you responded with insults.

There is a difference.

(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Sep-14 21:59:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

No they were plain rude in their reply.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Sep-14 09:13:17
Print Post

So don't snap back in an even worse way

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to