General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Sun 05-Oct-14 19:18:51
Print Post

Re: BT MK2 vs MK3 faceplate

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

SO i have a MK2 or 3 mine doesnt say q_q

Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Sun 05-Oct-14 23:53:12
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I'll invite you to take a quick look through this Kitz forum thread.

The only observed difference between a Mk 2 and a Mk 3 is in the toroidal wound common-mode (rejection) filter. The Mk 3 has a significant increase in the number of turns of the windings. Everything else is identical.

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Sun 05-Oct-14 23:57:44
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:
SO i have a MK2 or 3 mine doesnt say q_q
If it is not marked in the top right-hand corner, it will be an original Mk 1 SSFP.

Just scroll back up in this thead and take the link that Colin_London has provided. The image shows, left to right, a Mk 1, a Mk2 and a Mk 3.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Mon 06-Oct-14 00:15:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Mine was installed by Openreach, not a subcontractor, in February 2011. I think that predates the Mk 2.
Yes, from that date, I am sure it will be a Mk 1.

As I have already mentioned, if the SSFP is not marked "Mk 2" or "Mk 3" in the top right-hand corner then it is a Mk 1.

As for any benefit that might be obtained by changing the SSFP, it really depends upon circumstances -- of the actual circuit and the environment through which it passes. A fellow Kitizen has performed some basic tests with an original ADSL centralised filter, a Mk 1 SSFP, a Mk 2 SSFP and a Mk 3 SSFP. Details can be found in the same Kitz forum thread, to which I referred in a prior post, above.

Standard User Colin_London
(member) Tue 14-Oct-14 22:59:19
Print Post

[re: Colin_London] [link to this post]

Well my verdict after about 10 days use of the MK3.

It is an improvement for me!

As stated above, it reduced my maximum data rate both for download and upload. The sync on upload is now a little below 19999, but my download is capped at 59999 which is still below the (reduced) line maximum. So no change in speeds really.

But there is a real reduction in line disconnects. With the MK2 it used to resynch a couple of times a day (I live near a tube line), but now it has only gone down when there was a thunderstorm. My noise margin for a given maximum data rate has increased and my line attenuation has fallen slightly.

So it suits my line, but as I say I have known REIN issues, so maybe that is what this new filter is good for.

Edited by Colin_London (Tue 14-Oct-14 23:00:03)

Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Wed 15-Oct-14 14:06:03
Print Post

[re: Colin_London] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Colin_London:
So it suits my line, but as I say I have known REIN issues, so maybe that is what this new filter is good for.
Indeed. smile That is one of the defects which the Mk 3 SSFP has been designed to minimise the effects thereof.

Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Thu 16-Oct-14 08:44:58
Print Post

[re: GeekOfBroadband] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GeekOfBroadband:
Whats the differeces bettween these two? Would you see improved speed or line stability?

I have previously followed this thread and buried in there somewhere was the statement that the only difference was in "the coil" which had substantial "more turns".

Well had FTTC fitted yesterday and "Kelly" brought with him a MK3 which one would have expected just to be placed over the master socket which he did but not before he changed the master socket stating that it had been found that the screwed A and B terminals were not good enough for FTTC. The new master socket has "punched down connections".

We are a mile from the FTTC cabinet with a predictive speed of 11Mbps. For whatever reason we are currently getting 19Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up. These speeds could well take a nosedive over the next few days but it does seem that the MK3 + new master socket does squeeze out the best possible speeds that can be delivered.

With TTB for FTTC if that's a contributing factor.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Oct-14 08:56:10
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

TTB so the upload is probably capped by them using the 2 Mbps upload product

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 16-Oct-14 09:36:07
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
Well had FTTC fitted yesterday and "Kelly" brought with him a MK3 which one would have expected just to be placed over the master socket which he did but not before he changed the master socket stating that it had been found that the screwed A and B terminals were not good enough for FTTC. The new master socket has "punched down connections".

Kellys told you that ... where is the salt?

A good screw down connection will be fine, if not better than a punch down. The problem is getting the installers to do it correctly. A large proportion are not.

They probably changed to punch down to make it easier for the sub-con installers to get it right.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Oct-14 17:28:43
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Kellys told you that ... where is the salt?

Indeed ..... bunch of pillocks.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to