General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Nov-16 11:14:24
Print Post

Re: Openreach Connectorised FTTP video

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

OK, so that's one question answered .... but what of the kit that fits the connectorised end on said cable ?

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Nov-16 11:33:05
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
OK, so that's one question answered .... but what of the kit that fits the connectorised end on said cable ?

I am thinking its either glued on, or if they are metal connectors they could be thermally connected.

Hard to tell without any images so I am probably wrong in both counts LOL

Those modular connections do look cool though.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User godsell4
(member) Wed 30-Nov-16 12:05:26
Print Post

[re: MaryHinge] [link to this post]

So in a location where at the moment there is no ducting, just poles carrying copper wires to a group of properties which are currently connected to an FTTC enabled cabinet.

If BTO are going to install FTTP, where would that large Aggregation Node go? On a pole or ? This is to supply about 60 properties.

PlusNet Unlimited Fibre 3Mb to 5Mb

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Nov-16 13:02:48
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YKigH99Zdc Not sure on exact make/model they use but similar will work

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Nov-16 13:18:03
Print Post

Ah, so in that video its crimped smile

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Nov-16 13:29:21
Print Post

[re: godsell4] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by godsell4:
So in a location where at the moment there is no ducting, just poles carrying copper wires to a group of properties which are currently connected to an FTTC enabled cabinet.

If BTO are going to install FTTP, where would that large Aggregation Node go? On a pole or ? This is to supply about 60 properties.

The Aggregation Node will probably be down the road or could also be outside the actual exchange, but normally are in one of BT's chambers, the fibre cable then leave that chamber and can possibly then use over head cables from pole to pole connecting to Splitter Nodes.

The Splitter Node on the other hand are normally in the chamber near the are it supports, the DP's can be located in the chambers near the phone poles, or the DP's can be mounted on the actual phone poles.

TBH I have only seen Aggregation and Splitter Nodes and DP's all located in the chambers, so I cannot really say for sure.

*** update ***
Basically my understanding was that the fibre leaves the exchange and goes into the Aggregation Nodes that are daisy chained, each of those Aggregation Nodes supplies fibres to a few Splitter Nodes that are also daisy chained, and each of those Splitter Nodes supply fibres for the Fibre DP's which are also daisy chained each supplying up to 12 fibres for 12 homes.

Paul

TBB Speedtest

Edited by PaulKirby (Wed 30-Nov-16 13:48:46)

Standard User godsell4
(member) Wed 30-Nov-16 13:58:28
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Thank you, that is what I have seen too.

The only chamber and cabinets which exist are immediately next to the exchange, there are no other ducts or chambers, all the wires go over poles to those 60 properties. The first property we plan for FTTP is about 900m from the exchange with the last being +4km away, all properties are dotted along one long lane with little or no room for any cabinets to be built, the lane has stone walls or buildings marking the road. If this CFP with BT goes ahead it will be interesting to see how those problems are solved.

PlusNet Unlimited Fibre 3Mb to 5Mb
Standard User MaryHinge
(member) Wed 30-Nov-16 15:42:43
Print Post

Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YKigH99Zdc Not sure on exact make/model they use but similar will work

That answers my question, I always wondered if some form of mechanical splicing was possible. Still quite fiddly but presumably requires a less skilled engineer than fusion splicing.

I assume the db loss is greater than fusion splicing so they still fusion splice at the SPN?

So in summary connectorisation means two less fusion splices (DP & CSP) and probably a less skilled engineer, hence the cost savings compared with the previous deployment method.
Standard User MaryHinge
(member) Wed 30-Nov-16 15:54:49
Print Post

Just answered my own question http://www.fiber-optic-solutions.com/mechanical-spli...

0.3db loss mechanical vs 0.1 db loss fusion, and the mechanical splice is quite a bit more expensive.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Nov-16 16:35:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by MaryHinge:
So in summary connectorisation means two less fusion splices (DP & CSP) and probably a less skilled engineer, hence the cost savings compared with the previous deployment method.

Yes, that's precisely why they've changed over (or are in the process of changing over) to doing this method.

There's a video where Neil McRae describes some of the changes & reasoning:
https://youtu.be/LLpk2dz6nBQ?t=582
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to