General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Wed 08-Mar-17 07:45:56
Print Post

Re: BT Business Infinity Ultra 330/30 (FTTPoD)

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

I'm pretty sure it's a little more than you pay at the moment Max.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Mar-17 08:22:28
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Yes Fluidone use BT Wholesale for FoD circuits. Screenshot of my order:

https://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2017/03/07/orde...

Wrt current non-availability of 500 & 1000 mbps packages on FTTP, this begs the question why on earth would Openreach announce them yet CPs aren't allowed to order them?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7554-gigabit-gea-...

how much per month inc vat and installation fee inc vat and contract?

£4440 in installation costs - Band D (£3700+vat)

£360 per month on 36 months minimum term (£300+vat)

According to my SLA, I can move penalty free during my min contract term if

The Customer may terminate a relevant Service during the applicable Initial Term with 1
months’ written notice in the event that there is a breach of the applicable Service Level
in 3 consecutive months or 4 times in a 6 month period. Qualifying measures (i.e. Service
Levels subject to this remedy) are 99.99%, 99.9%, Latency, Packet Loss and Jitter only.

So wouldn't mind a bit of Virgin Media style packet loss at all LOL

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 08-Mar-17 08:38:05)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Mar-17 09:48:46
Print Post

[re: arronlowley] [link to this post]

when it comes to fftp them prices are just a pure joke compared to eu prices, virgin provide 300/20 for £60 a month (if your area is good), i know its not fttp but still.

So what does one get for your £60 a month then .......... ?

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/virgin_cable/t/4527...

You pay peanuts ......

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Wed 08-Mar-17 15:54:38
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

That's quite surprising they offer this SLG. I wonder if they've taken it from their leased line services?

I cannot see either Openreach or BT Wholesale offering the same guarantees, so I don't quite know how Fluidone are passing this SLG on to you.
Standard User craski
(member) Thu 09-Mar-17 12:22:40
Print Post

As I understand it, the SLA is mainly applicable to uptime only. There are no guarantees on upstream bandwidth and on downstream for the 330Mb product BT Wholesale only offer Best Endeavor to provide at least 70Mb at peak times.

Based on this I didnt take my order any further, paying a £300 premium for a product that may only provide 10Mb more than the 60Mb throughput guarantee on my business FTTC line makes zero sense. For me it makes more sense to load balance across multiple FTTC lines. Even two lines (that sync at 80/20) guarantees me more bandwidth for 1/3 of the monthly cost.

I would pay a premium for an FTTPoD product but not with such poor guarantees on download speed.

Zen Unlimited Fibre Office BQM
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Mar-17 13:52:10
Print Post

[re: craski] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by craski:
As I understand it, the SLA is mainly applicable to uptime only. There are no guarantees on upstream bandwidth and on downstream for the 330Mb product BT Wholesale only offer Best Endeavor to provide at least 70Mb at peak times.

Well if its the same as FTTP, its not a guarantee of a minimum of 70Mbps, but 40Mbps.

Ask you ISP what the guaranteed minimum speed is at peak times.

Anything lower that the guaranteed minimum and BT refer it as a fault.

Its a guaranteed minimum of 78.125Mbps to the exchange (2.5Gbps / 32) where 2.5Gbps is the bandwidth of the fibre from the splitter to the exchange, 32 being the amount of splits from the splitter to the buildings.

Now how they group you all up in the infrastructure I don't know.

TBH I have seen my mine go down to 45Mbps twice over the last 3 to 4 months I have had FTTP.
It mostly sits around 120Mbps to +200Mbps at peak times, but it depends on who else is sharing the bandwidth with.

But £300 pm is rather a lot to pay with the guarantee of a minimum of 40Mbps, I think the 40 to 80 packages have a guarantee of 20Mbps so I have been told by BT.

Please also be aware you notice the drop in speed more when you are on a faster connection.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 09-Mar-17 14:23:10
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Yes £300 per month IS a lot of money and for this money I'm not expecting ~ 330/30 mbps speeds 24/7 - I would need to get a dedicated leased line with 1:1 contention costing £1000s per month for that. However I'm primarily seeing it as an investment to future proof my connectivity needs.

I understand a large chunk of the £300 monthly fee is for paying off the construction costs for laying fibre to your doorstep (over a 3 year period), the actual setup costs paid only partially cover the true Civil costs. Otherwise you could just order BT Infinity 4 (330/30) for ~£60 a month as technically both a native FTTP and FTTPoD connection are the same after installation.

Anyway let's see what actual speeds I get after FTTPoD installation...still waiting for the damn survey to be done frown

TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Thu 09-Mar-17 15:18:57
Print Post

Leased lines are not that much now.

You can get a 1Gig circuit with free install for around £700 a month now on a 3 year contract. It does make me think that the FoD price is not going to be sustainable if BT are keen to get more people on it.

There's a bit of a battle going on between VM and BT over leased lines with prices falling quickly.
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Thu 09-Mar-17 15:23:09
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

After the initial 3 years though your fttp connection will drop to £40-70 a month.

If it's a forever home or somewhere a business will be for a long time, the initial high price will equal out over the long term.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Thu 09-Mar-17 15:29:55
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

There are zero speed guarantees with FTTP and FoD.

FTTC, FTTP and FoD all have the same SLA - but there is a big difference between a SLA and SLG.

Openreach provide 'prioritisation' rates, but these are quite low on the downstream (either 15, 30 or 40Mb/s).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to