General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | [18] | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Thu 01-Jun-17 12:40:50
Print Post

Re: BT Business Infinity Ultra 330/30 (FTTPoD)

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Correct, I understand any additional FTTP lines ordered would be charged at the native FTTP prices.

Wrt u/g feed versus above ground feed, it shouldn't make any difference because even on an u/g feed I imagine my neighbours would be served from the same u/g manifold. I guess if my neighbours ordered FoD now , Openreach would find it easier/quicker to deploy now that much of the u/g infrastructure is already in place.

Agreed on all points, but I wonder if native FTTP availability will somehow mysteriously appear for your neighbours premises in the not too distant future?

If so, I'd guess you'd have something to say, and I wouldn't blame you. But it probably won't happen ...
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Jun-17 13:14:41
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rastus:
Agreed on all points, but I wonder if native FTTP availability will somehow mysteriously appear for your neighbours premises in the not too distant future?

If so, I'd guess you'd have something to say, and I wouldn't blame you. But it probably won't happen ...

Can't see the neighbours getting native FTTP anytime soon, as vdsl2 speeds are already very good (70-80mb) and the fact that the ag node is ~800m away. I don't think the fibre cable coming into my home can be used as a spine/trunk cable to feed other homes....I may be wrong though. However I won't feel bitter or anything if OR did decide to roll out native FTTP to others on my street.

------------------------------------------------------
Fluidone FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Powered by Netgear R9000 X10
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Thu 01-Jun-17 13:23:06
Print Post

What I was getting at was because now the infrastructure is in place, somehow their addresses/numbers could have native FTTP availability added.

I might be wrong, but I wouldn't mind betting that a manifold has been installed much closer to you than 800m, which could then be used to feed neighbouring premises. I think it's unlikely a single tube has been laid between you and the node, because BTOR would then have to lay another 800m+ tube for any neighbour who ordered FTTPoD.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Jun-17 13:56:09
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

I don't believe BT will do this. The reason being when FTTPoD was first talked about ages ago the belief was that the charge for a single premises was not enough to cover the total costs and to make it properly viable they need multiple premises to pay the increased charge. The uprating of charges that happened may have changed this a bit but I suspect BT would still be looking to charge the full amount rather than converting neighbours to FTTP - otherwise it would be worth neighbourhoods banding together to pay for the first connection knowing that it means all the subsequent ones would become cheaper.
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Thu 01-Jun-17 16:44:10
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
...but I suspect BT would still be looking to charge the full amount rather than converting neighbours to FTTP - otherwise it would be worth neighbourhoods banding together to pay for the first connection knowing that it means all the subsequent ones would become cheaper.

Good point!
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Jun-17 19:16:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Interestingly the BT/Openreach checker is now showing as native FTTP being available at my address - results for both neighbours still shows FTTPoD. At least this means Openreach have acknowledged that FTTP has been built to my property & updated their records accordingly. Hopefully not long to go now until activation.

https://s30.postimg.org/9kjtfnv81/BT_Checker.jpg

Edit: BT Infinity 4 (300Mbps) is now available to me at £64.99 pm with a free £100 pre-paid Mastercard thrown in. I wonder if Fluidone will match that? LOL

Better get it cancelled with Fluidone FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps with cooling off period and placed an order for FTTP 330/30 instead!
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Jun-17 07:28:35
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

As this is a business product I don't believe consumer law around cooling off periods would apply so it would be down to what the contract says and I would guess that would have some heavy penalties for cancelling.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Jun-17 11:33:46
Print Post

At last some good news! Got a call from Openreach this am, an Engineer will be visiting my home next Friday to activate the ONT and bring the service live. I guess in the last 2-3 weeks OR were testing the FTTP circuit before accepting orders on this line, as confirmed by the updated BT/OR line checker which now says 'native' FTTP is available at my address.

Almost there (touch wood) smile

Fluidone FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps