General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Feb-17 01:34:51
Print Post

Re: BT Business Infinity Ultra 330/30 (FTTPoD)

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
someone posted a graph on kitz showing the new power and bitloading, and its not a whole lot better.

Do you mean a speed vs reach graph using the new power/bitloading setup?

I've only seen two. One (which I may have subsequently seen on kitz) seems like it was by someone with a vested interest lying elsewhere. Another (from Sckipio) showing amazing improvements ... but they have the opposite vested interest.

Otherwise, I've seen little that gives me a decent confidence about what can be achieved with the amendment 2 chipsets.

It has been proving harder to get data out of conferences recently, so there is little *decent* information around right now. I don't expect that to change until the newer chipsets become more prevalent.

Ultimately g.fast is going to need hard cash been spent on bringing the fibre closer to the home to make a large impact.

If, of course, it turns out that fibre is needed.

One of the aims of the 3rd research project in the sequence that have given us G.Fast (ie the 4GBB/Gold project) is to develop new backhaul solutions ... which includes the idea of backhauling on copper, not fibre.

Ironically, that may give BT a really good reason to not go deeper for another couple of years, in case it turns out to be feasible.

It looks to me these early generation cards are not worth bothering with at above 200m, and the newer stuff adds maybe 50m or so to get reasonable speeds.

I think you're right on that. If I have the numbers right from BT's trials early last year, the downstream speeds (not aggregate) are effectively:
- 300Mb to 150m
- 200Mb to 200m
- 100Mb to 250m

If you've got a link for the newer stuff, I'll have a look.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 08-Feb-17 17:34:45
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I dont know where the graph on kitz was sourced from I didnt post it. It had 3 graphs, one for like gen 1 setup, another with some kind of custum power mask and a 3rd with the modifications made later on that allow higher bitloading and power.

Some rumour has started somewhere that BT are considering using the vdsl ranges for g.fast, cannot remember where I read it, any thoughts on that?

I guess it wouldnt harm crosstalk on vdsl as since its still from the cabinet the power allocated is no worse than before but would make things worse for vdsl if they started deploying from closer nodes.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Edited by Chrysalis (Wed 08-Feb-17 17:37:26)

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Feb-17 21:48:02
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I dont know where the graph on kitz was sourced from I didnt post it. It had 3 graphs, one for like gen 1 setup, another with some kind of custum power mask and a 3rd with the modifications made later on that allow higher bitloading and power.

Well, if you find it again, let me know.

Some rumour has started somewhere that BT are considering using the vdsl ranges for g.fast, cannot remember where I read it, any thoughts on that?

I've seen that they are looking to find out whether they can overlay the spectrum without having an impact, but I'd leave it as no more than a research idea right now.

I recall seeing that Sckipio had a couple of features working, though it might be focussed on coax and the USA:
- Adjusting the up/down proportions on the fly, independently for each line
- Having symmetric gigabit services

If either of those is remotely possible, then they've managed to do something to overcome NEXT.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Fri 17-Feb-17 09:45:12
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Did you go for it in the end?
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 17-Feb-17 13:31:39
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:

The Bt Business proposal was too good to be true, when it came to the crunch they couldn't process my order as they said FTTPoD isn't something they sell anymore. So unfortunately order was cancelled.

I have signed up to Fluidata FTTPoD instead earlier in the week, obviously wasn't cheap but i see it as a good investment. I've been quoted an install time of 2-4 months but this may increase. I've been told my property is 600-800m away from the nearest fibre aggregation node. I'm desperately hoping Openreach/contractor don't end up digging my driveway or lawn and use the existing u/g ducts (which the phone lines go through) to lay the fibre. I'll know more after the site survey is done.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Fri 17-Feb-17 14:20:53
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
In reply to a post by 23Prince:

The Bt Business proposal was too good to be true, when it came to the crunch they couldn't process my order as they said FTTPoD isn't something they sell anymore. So unfortunately order was cancelled.

I have signed up to Fluidata FTTPoD instead earlier in the week, obviously wasn't cheap but i see it as a good investment. I've been quoted an install time of 2-4 months but this may increase. I've been told my property is 600-800m away from the nearest fibre aggregation node. I'm desperately hoping Openreach/contractor don't end up digging my driveway or lawn and use the existing u/g ducts (which the phone lines go through) to lay the fibre. I'll know more after the site survey is done.

Does anyone know if the distance from the node is measured in a radius fashion, or the length of the ducts from the node to your home?
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Feb-17 14:26:31
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
Does anyone know if the distance from the node is measured in a radius fashion, or the length of the ducts from the node to your home?

It's radial distance, Sir.
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Fri 17-Feb-17 14:36:05
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Cheers, always wondered that! Guess it's the only fair way really, you could be 100m from it but 900m of ducting to get through.
Standard User craski
(member) Sat 04-Mar-17 10:23:00
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

I got a quote from FluidOne for an FoD connection in Aberdeenshire but was pretty disappointed that the quoted monthly rental cost for the 330/30 variant was £300/month plus VAT given that wholesale cost is roughly 1/3 of that.

They were not able to offer the new 500 and 1000 variants announced recently.

Zen Unlimited Fibre Office BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 04-Mar-17 10:35:22
Print Post

[re: craski] [link to this post]

It's the line rental from Openreach that is a third of your quote.

On top of that all the backhaul from the fibre headend exchange to the ISP plus the costs of accessing the rest of the web have to be accounted for. That capacity for someone with those speeds available is considerable, equivalent to at least four standard FTTC/FTTP users going flat out simultaneously. Each of the four being subsidised by many on 40Mbps or less.

If FluidOne use BT Wholesale it is their prices that they wil be paying up to the handover from them, plus the backhaul from that point to themselves and web links, plus their own margin.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 04-Mar-17 10:36:49)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to