General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 02-Feb-17 19:20:22
Print Post

Re: DSL Checker - G.Fast

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

There are no guarantee's but there are things that can be done to improve your chances. Apparently once the new cab goes live then all new orders will be provisioned on that. But if I used my existing line, cancelled FTTC and then re-ordered on my existing line, there's a very good chance it would still be connected to the ECI cab. Ordering an ADSL service in the interim would solve this problem, or as I intend to do simply order a new line. There is one guy on Kitz who's line should be connected tomorrow, and we'll get to see if he's managed to get onto a Huawei cab.

There's quite a bit of info in this thread on Kitz

If the G.INP fix works, and and the new SNR margins work just as well on ECI then I may not change, I'll see how things go.

Standard User witchunt
(member) Thu 02-Feb-17 19:21:28
Print Post

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

Won't matter as the FTTC is just providing power for the g.fast box and access to the fibre already within
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 02-Feb-17 19:30:43
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I think you've rather exaggerated what he said, apparently there is 77,033 cabs live, so a third would be 25,677.

If I guessed at £5k each that would be £128,385,000, but I'm guessing it would cost more as you couldn't just replace a cab as that would cause loss of service for probably many days whilst things were changed over so they may have to install a new cab with all the addtional work as well.

Alas it's never going to happen, and if G.INP and the new SNR margins work then there's no more problem (hopefully) and hopefully we'll find out pretty soon.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User witchunt
(member) Thu 02-Feb-17 19:33:19
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

I guess additional Huawei headends would be required as well
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 02-Feb-17 19:36:38
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Nothing to do with it.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User witchunt
(member) Thu 02-Feb-17 19:49:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Really?
Standard User AndyHCZ
(committed) Thu 02-Feb-17 19:58:57
Print Post

I'm not quite sure how a few hundred million pounds equals best part of a billion pounds.

The original BT contract with ECI back in 2010 was worth £528m. This number is likely to have increased with BDUK because the original contract would have been for BT's commercial deployment.

What you are forgetting about the cost of swapping all ECI kit with Huawei is that it's not just the hardware, there are many other costs as well, such as the capital labour element (engineers doing the cabinet/exchange swap work, the cost of TSO staff doing the reconfiguration). Then there is the matter of compensation for ISPs for the downtime (say a 256 cabinet is full and BT pay a month's line rental, that alone would cost them a few thousand).
Standard User AndyHCZ
(committed) Thu 02-Feb-17 20:04:17
Print Post

I don't see why there is any talk of replacement of FTTC cabinets.

G.fast pods will be available for ECI cabinets.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 02-Feb-17 20:33:11
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

thanks for the cab count, so about 15 million then.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 02-Feb-17 20:33:34
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

will get back to you, have asked the sales rep smile

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to