General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User j0hn83
(member) Sat 04-Feb-17 08:03:11
Print Post

Re: DSL Checker - G.Fast

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AndyHCZ:
ECI cabinets will support upstream G.INP.

However (even if they did not), that is still not a commercial decision to spend several hundred million replacing all ECI kit.
are you sure about that? can you produce anything to say that's the case? ECI themselves say it doesn't. The white OpenReach ECI modems support upstream G.INP, but the M41 DSLAM doesn't.

I totally agree with the 2nd part of your post. There's no commercial case for swapping out ECI cabinets. They generate the same revenue as Huawei cabinets and 99% of EU's won't know there's even a difference.

Edited by j0hn83 (Sat 04-Feb-17 08:10:09)

Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Sat 04-Feb-17 08:29:40
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

From internal Openreach presentation.

Where have ECI said VDSL DSLAMs do not support upstream retransmission?
Standard User j0hn83
(member) Sat 04-Feb-17 08:38:44
Print Post

In an email from Ian Lawrence, that I would be happy to share privately. OpenReach have confirmed this a number of times also.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Mon 06-Feb-17 09:41:50
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
In reply to a post by lee111s:
Likely the FTTP/OD will change to 50meg up once G.fast goes commercial.

I guess it depends whether BT's choice of upstream for FTTP using GPON was related to how much congestion they were willing to accept over the PON.

G.Fast's upstream is not shared in the same way.

In reply to a post by lee111s:
Or G.fast will be offered at a 30meg upload cap

If there was a risk of that, I don't think they'd have come this far with 50Mbps speeds.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/02/bt-upda...

"However it will come as no surprise to find that BT also intends to introduce two additional FTTP profiles in order to match their G.fast service: 160Mbps (30Mbps) and 330Mbps (50Mbps). BTWholesale are currently expecting to start offering these from May 2017."

Edited by lee111s (Mon 06-Feb-17 09:42:33)

Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Mon 06-Feb-17 13:30:23
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Whatever the reasons back when the contract was signed it doesn't mean us customers on ECI who understand the lower quality service we receive are happy about, especially as we pay the same as someone on a Huawei cabinet, which may even in some cases have vectoring enabled!

I'm lucky in one respect as we've just had a second cabinet installed, which just happens to be a Huawei, so I'll be switching to that once I'm sure it's live.

Incidentally I'm also out of range for gfast from the cabinet, but if/when they deploy further out hopefully I'll be in the right place to benefit.

How do you propose to switch to the Huawei cabinet then? You'd have to be ablsoljtely sure that the ECI was full if you plan on ordering a second line!
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Feb-17 15:03:06
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

The cabinet has been switching between available and waiting list for someone now, it's now constantly showing a waiting list. If it goes the same as John's on Kitz it will soon show an available date, which is the date they start accepting orders on the new cab. John has now switched to a Huawei cab.

Like most things in life there is a risk., and I accept that.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-Feb-17 13:35:59
Print Post

Hi Andy, perhaps you could shed some light on this ISP Review article which states ECI will not be getting the new 3db profiles?

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/02/bt-upda...

Thanks.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to