General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Jun-17 10:51:23
Print Post

My Fluidone FTTPoD install experience

[link to this post]

Following on from here where BT almost sold me FTTPoD 330/30 for a 'bargain' £150 pm with zero construction charges, I went with Fluidone/Fluidata in the end. In order to help others who are thinking of going down the FTTPoD route, I will describe my experience and the various stages involved in the build process. It was a relatively straightforward install (despite some hiccups at the end!) but as many of us know Openreach can botch up even simple bespoke installs, so I was a bit apprehensive at the beginning.

I ended up paying £3700 in construction charges (band D) and £300 pm in rental charges on a min 3 year term after which I can take out a native FTTP service at a lower price. At present Fluidone are the only ISP selling the Openreach based FTTPoD service. If you live in SW England/S Wales then Spectrum Internet may also be offer you the product provided they have LLU'd your exchange. But obviously living in the Scottish Highlands, Fluidone were my only option.

The service was ordered in mid February 2017 and finally went live yesterday so took nearly 4 months which was within the initial estimated timescale of 2-4 months given by Openreach to Fluidone at the beginning. Fluidone were pretty good and kept me in the loop all along, their 'Service Delivery' team (thanks to Ana, Roxana & Adina) were very pro-active and provided weekly email updates. Based on their correspondence, these were the build stages after I placed the order:

1) Survey

This was carried out 3-4 weeks after I placed the order. An Openreach Surveyor came around, had a poke inside the home & took loads of photos inside & outside the home. He followed the existing duct routes to the nearest aggregation node (~800m away) looking out for any possible obstructions and other bits and bobs. Based on his report, there were no Excess Construction Charges (ECCs) so the order went ahead as planned. Its important to remember that if ECCs do apply after the survey, then you have the option of cancelling the order without paying a penny - otherwise penalties may apply. Also be aware that Openreach will not install the service to a Multi Dwelling Unit (eg block of flats) for obvious reasons - this will normally be flagged up at the quotation stage.

2) Test Rodding of Existing Underground Ducts

Over the next few weeks, I saw Openreach shoving rods/poles/cables down various manholes and outside my home checking for any obstructions in the U/G ducts. My home was built in 2008 so the ducts aren't that old but I imagine blocked ducts could add significant delays to the timescales. Test rodding was completed without any issues.

3) Cabling of route

Openreach had to back order the fibre cabling as they had insufficient stock at their Inverness depot, this took around 3 weeks. Once cable supplies arrived, it took around 10 days to lay the fibre. Again this went smoothly.

4) Jointing Works

Once the cabling was in place, it had to be spliced along with the necessary work at the exchange & installation of Customer Splice Point (CSP). For some strange reason Openreach also did the internal wiring and fixing of ONT during this stage which had me excited prematurely. Jointing works took around 2 weeks in total.

5) Testing of FTTP circuit & allocation of Circuit ID

This involved the engineer going with his meter gadget and checking the signals at various points in the PON network, eg CSP, DP, splitter node etc. Once testing was completed successfully, the BT/Openreach line checker for my address changed from FTTPoD to native FTTP and a circuit ID was issued for my line:

https://postimg.org/image/isc1wd2a5/

6) Installation of internal wiring/ONT and activation of service

An Engineer arrived a few weeks later (was surprised to see the ONT & internal cabling already installed), spent a few minutes activating the ONT using its serial number and bingo the PON light changed to a solid green. However my router (Netgear R9000) wouldn't establish a connection to the ONT and neither would the spare one from the Engineer. After further investigation it became clear the service required PPPoE authentication to Fluidone's Radius servers (despite the carrier being BT Wholesale) so had no choice but to use the ISP supplied Juniper SRX300 firewall between my router and the Openreach ONT. Its a horrible lump of metal which I could do without (missus was so incensed by it she threatened to rip out the external fibre CSP frown but after some cajoling she calmed down LOL) however its not interfering with my router's activities, eg no double NAT or neither is it doing any DHCP routing so may have to bear with it.

Once the correct hardware was hooked up, I finally got a connection. However speeds were shocking initially (ala dial-up) and web browsing was painfully slow, but a few hours later Fluidone made a few config changes at their end and speeds were more respectable. For some strange reason TBB speedtest results are weird and I never get more than 300 Mbps:

My Broadband Speed Test

However, speedtest.net and speed.io and give me the full whack 310/30 so I'm not too fussed about the TBB results. More importantly (?!) torrents download at the full 40 MB/s so can't complain too much. Pings aren't brilliant @ 20ms but living in North Scotland means I'm never going to get ping times in single digits, even on a FTTP service.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6366208787

Overall the install went smoothly and I didn't really have anything major to complain about despite the hiccups at the end.

Prior to placing the order with Fluidone, I was chatting with Zen Broadband Sales and they told me they weren't selling FTTPoD anymore due to their poor experience with Openreach, even relatively simple installs were taking as long as 18 months. I guess AAISP decided to discontinue FTTPoD for the same reason - see here for a FTTPoD install experience on AAISP a few years back. However, if (and its a big 'if') Openreach have now improved their deployment process for FTTPoD, then it would be great if the likes of Zen, AAISP, IDNet et al could look into selling the product again. This would probably drive prices down, not by much as FTTPoD is still a premium/niche product but it would be good to at least have a choice of FTTPoD providers -for the Openreach based service that is.

Some photos of my install:

https://s18.postimg.org/n3s26bdop/IMG_001.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/76ta9llah/IMG_002.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/nvuq5ihvt/IMG_003.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/h6o6phwjt/IMG_004.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/rurxoc6ix/IMG_005.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/69mv0q9s9/IMG_006.jpg

Hope this helps, any questions fire away smile

------------------------------------------------------
Fluidone FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Powered by Netgear R9000 X10

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 10-Jun-17 11:55:45)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Jun-17 11:24:50
Print Post

Re: My Fluidone FTTPoD install experience

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Our weird results might be reflecting things not at 100% perfection yet.

http://tbb.st/1496901211513905955 this is a native GEA-FTTP install, but nails the speeds. The fact your single thread is not nailing it indicates something is up somewhere, if we used the sampling of others we'd probably be reporting figures where you did not query anything i.e. saying something in the 270 to 280 Mbps based on your data.

Another native FTTP http://tbb.st/1497020290829869155

The ookla test may be pushing more threads at you, which is what torrents do to get the maximum speeds for people.

You do seem to have the prize for fastest FluidOne customer we've seen for a while

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Jun-17 11:38:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Our weird results might be reflecting things not at 100% perfection yet.

Thanks Mr S, I'll send the TBB results over to Fluidone support and see what they say.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jabes
(member) Sat 10-Jun-17 11:56:51
Print Post

Brilliant, thanks!

You didn't mention in your post here, but have elsewhere that your exchange was not initially listed as having FTTP on Demand support.

I'm moving house (long exchange to completion) but will be in place in January and that's when my FTTPoD connection needs to be in place, so I'm planning to order over the next few weeks. I'd probably rather stay with Zen (who I'm with now), or at least have some other ISPs to compare with but I think fluidone seem quite respectable business ISPs.

Like you, my exchange (NDBRI) currently doesn't have FTTPoD support but fluidone sales have confirmed that BT will open it up (should be this week). I'm assuming that the DSL checker will be updated to say FTTP on Demand when it does - I keep checking out the postcode/phone number of the house but not changed yet.

With the support of the current owner of the house I plan to order ASAP and get the connection in ahead of taking over the property. Fluidone have indicated they would not charge the monthly line rental until the service went live and we can separate the two parts of the install - but I haven't got to final agreement to verify that is indeed the case.

Best wishes
James
Standard User Jabes
(member) Sat 10-Jun-17 11:58:48
Print Post

Does the SRX300 come with a rack mounting kit? I'm thinking where I need to terminate my connection and ideally I'd put a small cab there.

Edited by Jabes (Sat 10-Jun-17 11:59:06)

(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Jun-17 12:18:43
Print Post

[re: Jabes] [link to this post]

Yes I forgot to mention that back in Dec 2016 when i initially enquired about leased lines with Fluidone, they said they would also check with Openreach about FoD availability - despite my exchange not showing this (NSICL). A few weeks later, they said OR had agreed to open up the Inverness area for FoD orders due to their interest. So as you've also noticed they do have quite a bit of clout with Openreach - apparently they're one of Openreach's biggest customers for business connections. Having said all that, around February of this year OR decided to open up most FTTC enabled areas for FoD orders.

Wrt SRX300, i didn't receive any rack kit for it but I imagine Fluidone could supply you with one if you requested for it. It just came with a few ethernet cables and a PSU - it will come pre-configured for your line so you just plug everything in and hope for the best smile

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 10-Jun-17 12:23:20)

Standard User RedBull2k14
(newbie) Sat 10-Jun-17 13:34:42
Print Post

you talked about "Ping" what was it on FTTC.
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Jun-17 13:52:32
Print Post

[re: RedBull2k14] [link to this post]

Was getting around 22 ms on FTTC and now on FTTP it's around 20 ms. I'll ask fluidone if ping times can be improved but I suspect not due to my location (N Scotland).

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Jun-17 16:44:46
Print Post

Interesting post thank you. I would have thought that at 20ms your ping time is quite high.

Michael Chare
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Sat 10-Jun-17 17:20:05
Print Post

Thanks for the recap, I've been following the install with interest.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 11-Jun-17 19:50:26
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

Ping still quite too high for FTTP. I get ping of 10ms with Plusnet FTTC.

Edited by adslmax (Sun 11-Jun-17 19:51:05)

(fountain of knowledge) Sun 11-Jun-17 20:05:59
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Ping still quite too high for FTTP. I get ping of 10ms with Plusnet FTTC.

FTTP or not, I'm pretty sure its impossible to get pings of 10ms from north of the border. You can't change the laws of physics...

Standard User jabuzzard
(newbie) Mon 12-Jun-17 10:03:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
An Engineer arrived a few weeks later (was surprised to see the ONT & internal cabling already installed), spent a few minutes activating the ONT using its serial number and bingo the PON light changed to a solid green. However my router (Netgear R9000) wouldn't establish a connection to the ONT and neither would the spare one from the Engineer. After further investigation it became clear the service required PPPoE authentication to Fluidone's Radius servers (despite the carrier being BT Wholesale) so had no choice but to use the ISP supplied Juniper SRX300 firewall between my router and the Openreach ONT. Its a horrible lump of metal which I could do without (missus was so incensed by it she threatened to rip out the external fibre CSP frown but after some cajoling she calmed down LOL) however its not interfering with my router's activities, eg no double NAT or neither is it doing any DHCP routing so may have to bear with it.

Eh, personally I would flog the Netgear thing and stick in one or more WiFi access points. Why you would continue with a piece of consumer grade tat as your router when you have a piece of quality enterprise kit is beyond me. There is even a web interface in J-Web so you don't need to do it via the command line.

It also probably accounts for the not quite right performance you are seeing as well.
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Jun-17 11:16:47
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
Eh, personally I would flog the Netgear thing and stick in one or more WiFi access points. Why you would continue with a piece of consumer grade tat as your router when you have a piece of quality enterprise kit is beyond me. There is even a web interface in J-Web so you don't need to do it via the command line.

It also probably accounts for the not quite right performance you are seeing as well.

LOL I wouldn't say the Netgear R9000 is "tat". Its Netgear's flagship router (costing ~ £400) which is currently the most powerful consumer router - certainly on a par with many enterprise kits wrt raw power & wifi radios. It has a 1.7ghz Alpine quadcore processor along with 1GB ram and 512mb flash memory with the latest Wave 2 wifi radios - its certainly making a difference in giving me buttery smooth Plex streams (it has a built-in Plex media server). Though once Asus release this beauty in UK, i imagine the R9000 won't be at the top of the pile anymore.

Anyway even connecting my pc directly to the SRX300 is giving me the same TBB speedtest results so the issue definitely isn't with my R9000. I suspect the SRX300 is acting as a bottleneck somewhere and I also appear to be getting a little packet loss even when my connection is idle - https://goo.gl/EnTCmk

I'm looking at the possibility of 'sniffing' out the PPPoE credentials with Wireshark on the SRX300 so i can connect the Netgear directly to the Openreach ONT. The sooner the totally locked down SRX300 is binned the better smile

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 12-Jun-17 11:25:20)

Standard User ferretuk
(member) Mon 12-Jun-17 12:25:32
Print Post

Before you bin the Juniper box, check your T&C's. Have you bought an FTTPoD connection or a service? Do Fluidone run any kind of monitoring on the connection as part of their service provision?

If the service has been provided on the basis of ethernet hand-off then you could be breaking contract terms and Fluidone could deny you service as a result?

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Jun-17 17:26:56
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

Not perfect but looking a lot better:

My Broadband Speed Test

Fluidone tested my connection via my laptop connected to the SRX300 using Nut TCP and managed to get ~300 Mbps when sending data down the line, they said they cannot see anything wrong with my line:

https://s9.postimg.org/qvs579jvj/236745_-_Download.png

I literally begged them to provide the PPPoE login details but again they refused to as its a 'Managed Service' so as part of the service agreement I have to use the Juniper. Oh well I guess its onto Wireshark sniffing wink

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 12-Jun-17 17:33:10)

Standard User jdigz7
(learned) Mon 12-Jun-17 17:41:09
Print Post

Would be nice having 330/30 Speeds but I have to think.. taking into account the £3700 you've paid then the £300 monthly fee( I'm pretty sure BTW pricing is around £120 per month for FTTPOD someone can correct me if they like.) leaving a nice £180 for fluidone per month.

In terms in value would have to look long term and say once your contract period is up you can go native FTTP for a nice little price but. At a total cost of £15k I cant say i see the value.

But then again i'm not sure what you need the connection for or what sort of business you run so im going to assume its all fine for you!

Good thread either way including the other one been interesting following your journey and good details! Answered alot of questions for my own queries too!

Ty
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Jun-17 18:31:09
Print Post

I literally begged them to provide the PPPoE login details but again they refused to as its a 'Managed Service' so as part of the service agreement I have to use the Juniper. Oh well I guess its onto Wireshark sniffing

Weird, were I your ISP I'd be happy to give you the details, to assist in faulting, and proving it weren't the kit I insist you use causing the issue you are reporting ......

.. seems good working practice to me.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Jun-17 20:20:03
Print Post

I literally begged them to provide the PPPoE login details but again they refused to as its a 'Managed Service' so as part of the service agreement

That's a load of rubbish. They should provided you the PPPoE login detail as you have your own right!
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(experienced) Tue 13-Jun-17 00:11:48
Print Post

[re: jdigz7] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jdigz7:
Good thread either way including the other one been interesting following your journey and good details! Answered alot of questions for my own queries too!

I'd like to say cheers too, it's been very interesting.

Of course, I insist that even now the connection is up and running, you keep us constantly updated : smiley :

Edited by gazzyk1ns (Tue 13-Jun-17 00:13:27)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Jun-17 09:23:35
Print Post

Managed business service so very different beast to consumer

Edited by MrSaffron (Tue 13-Jun-17 10:54:39)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Jun-17 09:49:17
Print Post

Managed business service so very different beast to pleading
Pleading?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Jun-17 10:55:13
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

No idea - corrected.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Jun-17 10:57:00
Print Post

LOL - that makes more sense wink
Standard User jabuzzard
(newbie) Tue 13-Jun-17 11:45:30
Print Post

LOL I wouldn't say the Netgear R9000 is "tat". Its Netgear's flagship router (costing ~ £400) which is currently the most powerful consumer router - certainly on a par with many enterprise kits wrt raw power & wifi radios. It has a 1.7ghz Alpine quadcore processor along with 1GB ram and 512mb flash memory with the latest Wave 2 wifi radios - its certainly making a difference in giving me buttery smooth Plex streams (it has a built-in Plex media server). Though once Asus release this beauty in UK, i imagine the R9000 won't be at the top of the pile anymore.

Anyway even connecting my pc directly to the SRX300 is giving me the same TBB speedtest results so the issue definitely isn't with my R9000. I suspect the SRX300 is acting as a bottleneck somewhere and I also appear to be getting a little packet loss even when my connection is idle - https://goo.gl/EnTCmk

I'm looking at the possibility of 'sniffing' out the PPPoE credentials with Wireshark on the SRX300 so i can connect the Netgear directly to the Openreach ONT. The sooner the totally locked down SRX300 is binned the better smile

Nope anything from Netgear is consumer grade tat, especially when the alternative is kit running Junos. Even the Netgear "enterprise" stuff is a bit ropy. I simply don't care what you think the hardware specs are it is simply not in the same class, not even by a country mile. Given Netgear's tardy history with security and timely updates, the value of proper enterprise kit that will be still getting security updates years from now, is way beyond the consumer grade tat you seem to mistakenly value so highly. Basically the hardware is irrelevant it's all about the quality of the software, how likely it is to have security problems and the likely hood that security updates will be available five years from now. On all these fronts the SX300 wins hands down, it is not even remotely close. Don't get me wrong I own Netgear stuff myself but in comparison to Juniper kit it's just not the same league.

Now if the SX300 is totally locked down even at the console then that is another matter. On the other hand you could just do password recovery on the SX300 from the serial console. Or better yet use a configuration group at the recovery prompt. I somewhat doubt that Fluidone have some special Junos version to keep out the knowledgeable.

As for performance the SX300 is rated well above a 330/30Mbps connection for routing performance unless you turn on the next gen firewall, but the Netgear does not even have one of those so the comparison is not valid. Heck a Ubiquiti Edgerouter ERlite-3 with a 500MHz CPU (admittedly with hardware acceleration) would be more than adequate. You are talking 244Kpps at 1518 packet size up to one million PPS through the fire wall at 64 byte packets, and anything from 672Mbps at 64 bytes to a full 3000Mbps at 1518 bytes packet size across all three interfaces. Basically hardware stopped being the bottleneck sometime ago now.

Also you can get multiple buttery smooth Plex streams from just a Raspberry Pi as long as it's not transcoding. If you pre-encode to H264 you are more likely to run out of devices to stream to and/or the hard disk will give out before the Pi does. However I would run (as I do) my Plex server on my NAS/file server.
Standard User kwillers
(newbie) Wed 14-Jun-17 09:11:34
Print Post

330/30 fantastic

I also spoke to Fluidone to get a quote for my home

£3K install approx
£300 a month

no thanks

My place in France has 100/100 for 20 EUR a month and Zero install costs
They also give you the PPPoE login details !!!

I could upgrade (but see no point) to 500/200 for 34 EUR a month

BTO - you have much work to do
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Jun-17 09:20:29
Print Post

[re: kwillers] [link to this post]

BTO - you have much work to do

I guess they would wish to see ROI, and since many seem to say they won't pay even for the monthly figure where is their incentive ?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Jun-17 09:43:41
Print Post

In areas where the choice has been made to deploy a similar speed natively, i.e. accept the longer term payback then prices are very different e.g. https://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps/bt/packages/ultr... still not as cheap but a lot cheaper than FoD

If making comparisons better to compare to locations that don't have some fast available natively i.e. custom build options for just one person.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 14-Jun-17 09:56:51
Print Post

What about an intermediate between ADSL at fairly low speeds and your excellent service?

Openreach have huge coverage of the country capable of over 30Mbps and up to 76Mbps. AIUI France has your type of service in some areas and only ADSL in most.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 69564/12780Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Wed 14-Jun-17 12:22:26
Print Post

In areas where the choice has been made to deploy a similar speed natively, i.e. accept the longer term payback then prices are very different e.g. https://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps/bt/packages/ultr... still not as cheap but a lot cheaper than FoD

I'd say that coupled with the relatively low download allowances listed in the 'Select usage profile' drop-down list, take-up would be severely limited.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Jun-17 12:34:07
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

Interesting comment, since the Infinity packages listed are all unlimited, that drop down is common to all packages, since there are some sold that do have limits involve.

So question to wider audience, does including that on an individual package page make everyone think there is a usage limit (purpose originally was to allow system to the maths on packages that have usage limits)

Standard User kwillers
(newbie) Wed 14-Jun-17 12:36:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by Rastus:

I'd say that coupled with the relatively low download allowances listed in the 'Select usage profile' drop-down list, take-up would be severely limited.

I agree I assume those are daily figures - if monthly at 65GB what's the point
A few 4K movies from netflix and your screwed

Not investing in our comms infrastructure is like not investing in our railways.... oh wait we already made that mistake.

FYI my French connection in UNLIMTED. As Orange France said when I asked "why would we care smile" Well they actually said "C'est sans conséquence"
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Jun-17 12:43:02
Print Post

Most of the packages are unlimited. That selection is for search purposes not an example of what the packages offer.
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Wed 14-Jun-17 15:03:07
Print Post

Now if the SX300 is totally locked down even at the console then that is another matter.
Unfortunately it is. frown

b*frogmella has confirmed to me (elsewhere) that even the front panel power button is disabled.

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User kwillers
(newbie) Wed 14-Jun-17 21:31:22
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by burakkucat:
Now if the SX300 is totally locked down even at the console then that is another matter.
Unfortunately it is. frown

b*frogmella has confirmed to me (elsewhere) that even the front panel power button is disabled.

Ouch !!!
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Wed 14-Jun-17 21:40:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by kwillers:
Ouch !!!
Ouch, indeed. A decent piece of kit, totally crippled. frown

(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Jun-17 10:20:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by Jabes:
Like you, my exchange (NDBRI) currently doesn't have FTTPoD support but fluidone sales have confirmed that BT will open it up (should be this week). I'm assuming that the DSL checker will be updated to say FTTP on Demand when it does - I keep checking out the postcode/phone number of the house but not changed yet.

NDBRI is now accepting FoD orders. Just did a random search eg Florries Tea Shop, 96 High St, Bridge, CT4 5LB on the BT Adsl checker and the 330/30 service is now showing up smile

Standard User Jabes
(member) Thu 15-Jun-17 16:20:44
Print Post

You didn't mention in your post here, but have elsewhere that your exchange was not initially listed as having FTTP on Demand support.

As good as their word, Fibreone contacted Openreach, and now - as of this morning - my exchange NDBRI is listed as ready for FTTP on Demand.

Looks like my barriers to delivery are dropping away

Edited by Jabes (Thu 15-Jun-17 20:19:09)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Jun-17 16:38:45
Print Post

You might find the BT Openworld are not exactly the folk you want Fibreone to chase. wink

Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Thu 15-Jun-17 19:01:16
Print Post

Which ONT did they install? Does it have 4 data ports and 2 FVA?

Openreach are going to cease to provide the 4 data port Huawei ONT HG8240 soon. They will be only providing a 2 data port ONT (still with 2 FVA points).

Edit: Zarjaz might be able to say if he's seeing the new ONTs already.

Edited by AndyHCZ (Thu 15-Jun-17 19:01:53)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Jun-17 19:08:41
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

Zarjaz might be able to say if he's seeing the new ONTs already.

Not seen them yet Andy, or heard of them ....

(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Jun-17 19:27:07
Print Post

Correct, I had the 4 data port ONT installed. I take it the newer ONTs are smaller?

Edited by baby_frogmella (Thu 15-Jun-17 19:28:03)

Standard User Jabes
(member) Thu 15-Jun-17 20:20:07
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
You might find the BT Openworld are not exactly the folk you want Fibreone to chase. wink

My fingers and mind seem to be disconnected today! Edited.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Thu 15-Jun-17 21:17:14
Print Post

I would think smaller and possibly with XG-PON support. Will see though!
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Jun-17 06:27:37
Print Post

I'm wondering if the space saving might be used to provide room for an integral BBU ?

This feature has been mentioned a fair bit in the past.

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Fri 16-Jun-17 12:59:50
Print Post

baby_frogmella

I think you are correct for pinging London from the north of Scotland.

1000km gives 4.9ms of delay just for lightspeed in Fibre. So Inverness to London would be 720km radial or 1500km fibre length giving 7.5ms. Add in some routers and switches at around 1ms per switch, say 2 additional for an extra access hop, ( as the core network should have the same number of hops regardless of where you are) gives around 10ms added to the London-London ping time.

Minimum pings seem to be around 7-9ms which must be NAT lookup plus core network plus CP specific routing. Deep packet inspection or other security screening may add a couple of ms for the bigger operators that are mandated to use it.
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(experienced) Fri 16-Jun-17 15:09:50
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

I know you can't switch for a while, but if/when you do, would it be worth going to Zen, because their network is in Rochdale? Or would that make no difference because everything has to go to London sooner or later anyway? I can't believe anything is that simple. Surely it's down to where, and how, you are pinging?

This post has been some words which escaped from my head. Please comment.
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-Jun-17 15:39:37
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Thanks for confirming what I've suspected all along.

Ping times are now slightlly better @18-19ms so reasonably happy :

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-Jun-17 15:44:38
Print Post

[re: gazzyk1ns] [link to this post]

I believe most ISPs use the main London data centres (Telehouse Europe?) so using Zen probably wouldn't make much difference. In any case, Zen don't offer speeds above 80/20 on FTTP so its a moot point.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Jun-17 19:54:31
Print Post

Zen don't offer speeds above 80/20 on FTTP so its a moot point.

Yeah they do here, granted its only available for business connections and states up to 330Mbit down and up to 20Mbit up, granted its costs a lot more.

I was tempted to go with them at first until I saw the price, so went with BT.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest | BQM #4 Linksys WRT 3200 ACM
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-Jun-17 20:07:42
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Thanks for pointing that out, I was looking at Zens residential packages.

Standard User gazzyk1ns
(experienced) Sat 17-Jun-17 05:59:04
Print Post

See? I *AM* worth it after all!

Edited by gazzyk1ns (Sat 17-Jun-17 05:59:29)

Standard User Bill100
(newbie) Wed 21-Jun-17 18:56:26
Print Post

Hi

On Fluidone's website there is now a page with their FFTPoD details.

They mention "QOS Bandwidth Management..." - could you shed some light on this? Do they give you a portal where you configure QOS settings for your traffic?

Thanks
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Jun-17 22:08:37
Print Post

[re: Bill100] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bill100:
On Fluidone's website there is now a page with their FFTPoD details.

Indeed there is:

http://www.fluidone.com/data/plus-business-fttpod/

They mention "QOS Bandwidth Management..." - could you shed some light on this? Do they give you a portal where you configure QOS settings for your traffic

I can't see any 'QoS Bandwidth Management' settings on my account portal but I will ask their support team more about this. I did ask them for a pure/unadulterated connection so shouldn't have any QoS applied to my service. If i did want QoS I could easily do this on my Netgear X10.

Probably the most useful feature I find on the portal is the 'WeatherMap' which gives a live snapshot view of the traffic load on their network between all the various nodes - I've never seen this go above 25%:

https://s1.postimg.org/6sew9oarz/weather_map.jpg

I can also see how much data I've used even though its an unmetered service:

https://s1.postimg.org/5f0pai8fj/usage_stats.jpg

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 21-Jun-17 22:11:34)

(fountain of knowledge) Thu 22-Jun-17 12:12:53
Print Post

They mention "QOS Bandwidth Management..." - could you shed some light on this?

Queried this with them, they said its disabled by default on all of their xDSL and FTTP services however they can enable it for a customer upon request.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Bill100
(newbie) Thu 22-Jun-17 13:36:59
Print Post

Thanks for looking into that. Having your own online QOS system upstream could be a nice touch.

That "weather" graph looks quite interesting too.
Standard User raesene
(newbie) Thu 22-Jun-17 17:39:14
Print Post

Thanks for the information, it's very useful. I'm just about to start the order process with FluidOne as my exchange (WSLOD) has FTTPoD available and the cabinet I'm connected to is about to get it's FTTC upgrade finished, so I should be good to get started soon.

I'll be interested to see what the install process looks like for our house as there are pretty much no ducts involved it's all overhead poles...

I'm hopeful Openreach might be geared up to do some Fibre installs in my area as for some properties (that aren't connected to the cabinets 'cause they're next to the exchange) they're offering the "ordinary" FTTP product and some of the residents have had visits from Openreach to see who wants connected.

with your managed firewall, did FluidOne say what the process was to get firewall rule changes done? thinking if you wanted to open a port for a website or VNC/RDP/VPN access...

Edited by raesene (Thu 22-Jun-17 17:40:46)

(fountain of knowledge) Thu 22-Jun-17 18:22:14
Print Post

[re: raesene] [link to this post]

Yes pls do describe your FTTPoD installation journey, will be interesting to compare our stories smile You won't have to chase Fluidone for updates wrt build progress , their Service Delivery team are excellent and will automatically update you - weekly at least.

They can remotely configure the Juniper if necessary, so you shouldn't need to touch any settings on it (it's locked down anyway). I think the Juniper's main function is to provide the routing to their servers, i can still define firewall rules on my own router and I can even get Openvpn working on my router in DD-WRT firmware.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Bill100
(newbie) Thu 22-Jun-17 18:33:11
Print Post

With their FTTPoD service do Fluidone give you a block of IP addresses?
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 22-Jun-17 18:40:27
Print Post

With their FTTPoD service do Fluidone give you a block of IP addresses?

The service comes with one static IPv4 and one static IPv6 address as standard (I'm using the former) but you can request a block of addresses free of charge.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by baby_frogmella (Thu 22-Jun-17 18:41:20)

Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Thu 29-Jun-17 11:27:14
Print Post

I'm wondering if the space saving might be used to provide room for an integral BBU ?

This feature has been mentioned a fair bit in the past.

Yes, it's this - http://i.imgur.com/CSd7oOa.png BBU/ONT will be integrated.

The new device will actually only have 1 dataport + 1 voice port. So they will no longer support multiple lines.

Due to replace the existing ONTs in September. The other thing is that all new FTTP deployments are Huawei and ECI seems out of the picture now.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Jun-17 12:40:40
Print Post

Is this for just the FTTPoD install or also the FTTP?

TBH I prefer our current one, also where its all inside that other case, what happens if it gets hot, where is the heat to go.

What if I wanted to get a second fibre connection via a different provider, would they send that down the same fibre as the main fibre connection?

Also how would I find out what version of ONT I have, I don't recall seeing any Huawei or ECI markings on it when they installed it end of last year.

One last thing, why are they replacing all the ONT's in September? mine is working fine.
Or are you referring to all new installs will get the new compact version?

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up) FVA
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Thu 29-Jun-17 12:47:48
Print Post

All FTTP installs from September will get the new ONT. Existing installs don't change.

If you want a second connection, then you need one of the older ONTs or you would need a second new ONT installed. It's really rare for a second connection so I guess that's why it's been pulled, especially since you can get up to 1Gig now.

All the ONTs should be marked on the back ECI or Huawei.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Jun-17 12:57:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by AndyHCZ:
All FTTP installs from September will get the new ONT. Existing installs don't change.

This is good to know.

If you want a second connection, then you need one of the older ONTs or you would need a second new ONT installed.

That would suck if you have the new version and you have limited wall space.

It's really rare for a second connection so I guess that's why it's been pulled, especially since you can get up to 1Gig now.

I totally agree, I have seen higher speeds reported, BT sell up to 10Gbit (business connection), but it makes no sense in getting higher than 1Gbit for a non business connection, plus the average PC Hardware (Mechanical Hard drives) struggle at half that speed.

Well I am not lifting mine off the wall LOL.

Paul

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Jun-17 14:03:51
Print Post

That's an ugly lump -

you would have hoped it might have kept some of the original sleek lines.

Standard User Bill100
(newbie) Thu 29-Jun-17 15:09:10
Print Post

How many extra FTTP connections can the fibre itself handle - are additional connections multiplexed onto the same strand or would they use separate fibre strands? In that case, how many fibres are there inside the cable?
Standard User craski
(member) Thu 29-Jun-17 17:34:11
Print Post

Are you doing any sort of automated speed testing to determine if you are receiving your excellent speeds consistently throughout the day?

Zen Business FTTC BQM
Talk Talk Business FTTC BQM
IDNET ADSL BQM
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Jun-17 20:59:53
Print Post

[re: craski] [link to this post]

No, just doing random speed tests now and again, getting 310/29 day and night. Touch wood it stays this way smile

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 30-Jun-17 08:24:10)

Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Thu 29-Jun-17 21:12:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Well I am not lifting mine off the wall LOL.
Just take a photograph of the front view, make it available for public viewing and one of us will be able to tell you.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Jun-17 06:00:41
Print Post

The current ONTE can supply 4 separate connections.

Which cable are asking about ?

(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-Jun-17 08:18:38
Print Post

I think Bill100 was asking how many FTTP connections can be supported in total by the incoming fibre feed to a property.

AFAIK the Kevlar encased fibre cable terminating at the Customer Splice Point has 2 fibre strands, however only 1 of these is spliced onto the 'EZ bend' optical cable which terminates at the ONT. The other fibre strand is left as a spare inside the CSP. I guess technically it may be possible to have 8 FTTP connections once the second fibre strand is spliced to a second ONT (2x4) but realistically I can't imagine anyone going for > 4 simultaneous connections. So Openreach probably keep that second fibre strand as a backup.

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 30-Jun-17 08:27:41)

Standard User Bill100
(newbie) Fri 30-Jun-17 09:37:59
Print Post

Thank you that's just what I was after.

Once the new single port ONTs come in, the options to install additional connections boil down to:

1) Replacing the ONT with a multi-port one (would they do this free as part of the install for the second connection?

2) Connecting the spare fibre to a separate ONT.

Which one would Openreach go for?
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-Jun-17 10:10:14
Print Post

When placing the initial order with the cp/isp there would no harm in specifically asking for a 4 port ONT to be installed, I imagine OR would still have a stock of them somewhere. Or if you can find a 4 port Openreach branded ONT (Huawei HG8240?) for sale on eBay then order one beforehand and ask the Engineer to install and activate that one for you instead.

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 30-Jun-17 10:29:14)

Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Fri 30-Jun-17 11:18:06
Print Post

AFAIK the Kevlar encased fibre cable terminating at the Customer Splice Point has 2 fibre strands,

Mine has 4 individual colour coded fibre strands, 1 used, the remaining 3 are coiled up on 'trays' within the CSP. smile
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Jun-17 12:51:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by Rastus:
AFAIK the Kevlar encased fibre cable terminating at the Customer Splice Point has 2 fibre strands,

Mine has 4 individual colour coded fibre strands, 1 used, the remaining 3 are coiled up on 'trays' within the CSP. smile

Same as mine.

Paul

(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-Jun-17 13:28:20
Print Post

Strange, I could only see 2 fibre strands in my CSP frown Anyway it's fair to say there will be at least 1 spare strand meaning additional connections & splicing may be possible.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Jun-17 13:46:00
Print Post

Yep, 4 is the 'usual' when it's blown fibre to a CSP.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Jun-17 13:51:17
Print Post

I've a link to some photos I took, but need to be home to find it ... unless RobertoS is reading this, he knows the link I'm on about.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Jun-17 18:48:38
Print Post

Here ya go ....

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bz5vlj70n92z9m5/AACWDXMoM...

...94 to 99 showing the inside of a CSP. You can see the three 'spares' coiled in the centre circle

Neat work eh ? wink

(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-Jun-17 19:21:43
Print Post

Thanks, will take another peek inside the CSP.

I may need to visit Specsavers frown

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Jun-17 20:37:23
Print Post

If it differs, please post a link to a photo.

Or maybe the guy broke two off ?

Standard User gazzyk1ns
(experienced) Fri 30-Jun-17 21:16:43
Print Post

Either way, we definitely need photos to analyse.
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-Jun-17 22:50:51
Print Post

Will definitely post some photos of it early next week (I'm away this weekend).

I take it the CSP cover can be easily removed using fingers only? Only time I've seen it open before was when the OR Engineer was doing the splicing works a month or two ago and that's when i saw only 2 fibre strands...i think!

Cheers.

Standard User chrisdev
(newbie) Sat 01-Jul-17 17:15:58
Print Post

Out of interested (and apologies if I missed this in the thread) what are the options for your neighbours who want to order FTTP now? Do they have to go the FoD route and pay a share of the construction charges, or do they now get native FTTP thanks to you?
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 01-Jul-17 17:41:16
Print Post

[re: chrisdev] [link to this post]

The BT/OR dsl checker is showing native FTTP just for my address on my street and FoD for the others.

Standard User Garlic
(learned) Sun 02-Jul-17 12:10:36
Print Post

How many extra FTTP connections can the fibre itself handle - are additional connections multiplexed onto the same strand or would they use separate fibre strands? In that case, how many fibres are there inside the cable?

I presume (?) FTTPoD use the same connectoraised system that BTOR are using generally. Although the BTOR engineers that did my FTTP ran a 30 fibre cable to my back door! The engineer who came to connect it at the house didn't know what to do (apprently new engineers are trained for connectorised only) and they had to send an out 'old hand' who knew the old system....
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Jul-17 13:57:20
Print Post

[re: Garlic] [link to this post]

Certainly the FTTPoD install I did last week was the original non-connectorised stuff.

Standard User Garlic
(learned) Sun 02-Jul-17 15:52:23
Print Post

Certainly the FTTPoD install I did last week was the original non-connectorised stuff.

Perhaps it differs across the country. Certainly the impression I was given was that connectorised roll outs were the goal - as presumably they are quicker and require a lower skilled engineer. Both of which would seem to be favourable to making fttp/fttpoD cheaper to roll out at scale...
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Jul-17 18:47:50
Print Post

[re: Garlic] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Garlic:

Perhaps it differs across the country. Certainly the impression I was given was that connectorised roll outs were the goal - as presumably they are quicker and require a lower skilled engineer. Both of which would seem to be favourable to making fttp/fttpoD cheaper to roll out at scale...

Several phone poles down a road round the corner from me have both the old Manifold as well as the new connectorized block at the top.

And I am in East London.

Pau

Standard User ferretuk
(member) Mon 03-Jul-17 10:46:06
Print Post

Silly question, but is only one fibre strand used for FTTP? 100/1000BaseFX uses two strands of course (one for TX and one for RX) so does FTTP use different wavelengths on the same fibre for bi-directional data?

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Jul-17 20:48:17
Print Post

Managed to open up the CSP and have a quick peek inside its guts. Indeed, there are 4 fibre strands (*not 2 as I originally thought ) in the main incoming fibre feed - blue, green, orange and red. The blue strand is the one used for my service, the others are sort of coiled up in the trays (don't look very tidy!).

Going back to Bill100's question, I guess this means technically each fibre strand can be hooked/spliced up to its own ONT, so as things stand you could maybe have up to 16 FTTP connections off a single fibre feed - ie 4x4 or up to 4 FTTP connections when the single port ONT is released later in the year.

View of the trays when removing the CSP cover:

https://s14.postimg.org/vz4lowhm9/IMG_0360.jpg

Looking underneath the trays:

https://s14.postimg.org/4d1u47y9d/IMG_0361.jpg

View of the unsplit fibre strands (coming out of yellow bit):

https://s14.postimg.org/c72fpm629/IMG_0362.jpg

Blue fibre strand going to the ONT, encased in white 'EZ bend optical cable'

https://s14.postimg.org/yybic0r3l/IMG_0363.jpg

Underside of the CSP showing 3 spare output ports for each spare fibre (kevlar black/yellow cable is main feed and white cable is the feed going to the ONT)

https://s14.postimg.org/42ubkvjn5/IMG_0364.jpg

*will be visiting Specsavers soon frown

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 03-Jul-17 21:01:18)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Jul-17 22:44:01
Print Post

Thanks for the photos smile

Oh that does look neat and tidy, not even checked in mine.

Paul

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Jul-17 08:27:46
Print Post

I have to say I quite like that first photo of the coils of wire - it looks artistic to my eyes.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Jul-17 10:28:35
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ferretuk:
Silly question, but is only one fibre strand used for FTTP? 100/1000BaseFX uses two strands of course (one for TX and one for RX) so does FTTP use different wavelengths on the same fibre for bi-directional data?

Yes, PON networks use a single strand, as do most point to point solutions, 1000BaseBX.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Jul-17 13:46:31
Print Post

That looks fairly tidy to me, except in the second photo the light blue gripping tube has come out of its guides ... no biggy, not service affecting.

(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Jul-17 14:10:36
Print Post

That looks fairly tidy to me, except in the second photo the light blue gripping tube has come out of its guides ... no biggy, not service affecting.

Thanks, in that case I will leave things as they are. Don't want to repeatedly open the CSP and risk disturbing its delicate contents smile

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Jul-17 18:38:00
Print Post

Thanks, in that case I will leave things as they are. Don't want to repeatedly open the CSP and risk disturbing its delicate contents

Sound idea. smile

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Jul-17 18:40:39
Print Post

And I am in East London.

Pau

Near the Pyranees ?

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Jul-17 21:16:07
Print Post

And I am in East London.

Pau

Near the Pyranees ?

That link took me to some place in France, I was like scratching my wondering why you thought France, then I noticed my partial name, oh very good tongue

I live in the E12 area if that helps.

Paul

Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Tue 04-Jul-17 21:49:50
Print Post

I've been out of the UK for half a decade now, but since I moved to the US I've had a FTTP connection so am pretty familiar with how the home infrastructure side of things works.

To my mind this install - especially that awful black router / WiFi thing - is eye opening. At my home, the fibre is delivered from a pole, which then terminates into an outside ONT. Newer ONTs are internal, but the vast majority of homes have external ONTs. The cat5 drop simply comes from outside to my own infrastructure.

Why is the BT ONT sitting inside your house like that? It looks awful, especially with all those wires. I would have asked for it to be placed in my loft (or basement, though appreciate the UK doesn't have those outside of London), and snaked the cables from there.

How much does this cost you out of interest? A gigabit connection with Verizon is $70 (inc taxes) in my region.

Lastly, why is the speed so slow? 30Mbit upload? That is amateur hour. I have a 150/150 connection here, with Gigabit available. What is your ISPs excuse for providing such a measly upload when the download is 330?
Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Tue 04-Jul-17 21:51:29
Print Post

Sounds abhorrent, frankly. Verizon here simply provision an ethernet install upon request which allows me to receive a DHCP lease from my ONT.
Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Tue 04-Jul-17 21:55:24
Print Post

I ended up paying £3700 in construction charges (band D) and £300 pm in rental charges on a min 3 year term after which I can take out a native FTTP service at a lower price.

That is [censored] insane. I pay $110 all in for FTTP 150/150, with TV and phone.

Why is the UK so outrageously behind on internet provisioning? We fell hugely behind on LTE (the US is streets ahead of the UK on 4G, and now, 5G) and internet infrastructure appears stuck in the early 00's still.
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Jul-17 22:28:34
Print Post

[re: toph3r] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by toph3r:
To my mind this install - especially that awful black router / WiFi thing - is eye opening.

I dunno, i think the Netgear R9000 looks quite impressive in a 'it means business' sort of way:
http://www.netgear.com.cn/images/Products/Networking...

Why is the BT ONT sitting inside your house like that?

That's just the way Openreach install the ONT. Personally I think the ONT is installed in a reasonably discrete location . I deliberately chose not to have the battery backup unit (BBU) installed to minimise wiring (i don't have FVA anyway) and the ONT fibre cabling runs nicely along the skirting boards. Perhaps if I had FTTP installed when my house was being built then the wiring could have been hidden. Also I wasn't too keen on having tens of metres of ethernet cable from the ONT to the router (ala Hyperoptic style), the ONT sits nicely below/behind my router and a short (30cm) cat7 ethernet cable connects the 2 smile

Lastly, why is the speed so slow? 30Mbit upload? That is amateur hour. I have a 150/150 connection here, with Gigabit available. What is your ISPs excuse for providing such a measly upload when the download is 330?

BT/Openreach (main Telco operator in Blighty) don't sell anything higher than 330/30 at present for FTTP, though they have plans to start offering 500meg & 1gb services soon. Even then they won't be offering symmetrical speeds like other FTTP operators such as Gigaclear. I guess BT/OR want to protect their lucrative leased line revenue on which you can take out a symmetrical fibre service, eg 300/300 or 500/500mbps but these services often cost £1000's per month.

That is [censored] insane. I pay $110 all in for FTTP 150/150, with TV and phone.

But the costs I paid are for a FTTP custom install. How much would a punter in US of A pay for bringing FTTP to his/her front door when they don't have native FTTP available? I'm not talking about bringing ethernet, but pure fibre to your doorstep. I'm sure it would cost $1000s, that's if an ISP in US of A will let you order Fibre On demand.

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 04-Jul-17 22:34:14)

Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Tue 04-Jul-17 22:52:33
Print Post

I dunno, i think the Netgear R9000 looks quite impressive in a 'it means business' sort of way:
http://www.netgear.com.cn/images/Products/Networking...

So that's not the default device supplied by the ISP? That's a relief. Concerning equipment, I'm a big fan of Ubiquiti and PFSense. Consumer stuff like Netgear doesn't really do it for me unfortunately, despite the impressive antennas wink

That's just the way Openreach install the ONT. Personally I think the ONT is installed in a reasonably discrete location . I deliberately chose not to have the battery backup unit (BBU) installed to minimise wiring (i don't have FVA anyway) and the ONT fibre cabling runs nicely along the skirting boards. Perhaps if I had FTTP installed when my house was being built then the wiring could have been hidden. Also I wasn't too keen on having tens of metres of ethernet cable from the ONT to the router (ala Hyperoptic style), the ONT sits nicely below/behind my router and a short (30cm) cat7 ethernet cable connects the 2 smile

Yes, fair enough. I would simply prefer the ONT to be installed where I could connect it to my racked infrastructure, not the living room table. It's all individual choice of course, I get that.

BT/Openreach (main Telco operator in Blighty) don't sell anything higher than 330/30 at present for FTTP, though they have plans to start offering 500meg & 1gb services soon. Even then they won't be offering symmetrical speeds like other FTTP operators such as Gigaclear. I guess BT/OR want to protect their lucrative leased line revenue on which you can take out a symmetrical fibre service, eg 300/300 or 500/500mbps but these services often cost £1000's per month.

Right, and that's the issue. It's protectionism, and - like so much of what BT do - it's disgusting. 30Mb upload is a paltry speed for a FTTP connection, especially given the OBSCENE pricing you're being charged.

But the costs I paid are for a FTTP custom install. How much would a punter in US of A pay for bringing FTTP to his/her front door when they don't have native FTTP available? I'm not talking about bringing ethernet, but pure fibre to your doorstep. I'm sure it would cost $1000s, that's if an ISP in US of A will let you order Fibre On demand.

No, I get that. I'm just making the point there where I am (the Northeast of the US) FTTP services are widely available; pre-dominantly from Verizon FiOS but also now from ATT and Comcast. So the consumer doesn't need a custom pull, the service is outside a pole ready to go!

Edited by toph3r (Tue 04-Jul-17 22:55:55)

(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Jul-17 23:07:18
Print Post

The one I know that does it charges between $159.95 and $299.95 for 2Gbps symmetrical, install is $1000. Believe there are lower speeds available at lower costs, and the lower price is conditional on area and agreeing a three year contract.

It's available to any customer within a third of a mile of their optical network, which equates to being within a third of a mile of the equivalent of an FTTC cabinet or aggregation node in BT speak.
Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Tue 04-Jul-17 23:12:29
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Plus, to achieve similiar internet connectivity, that can be done over simple DOCSIS 3.0, which the vast majority of the developed US (the Northeast, and West Coast - forget the rest, redneck areas..) have easy access to.

I appreciate the OPs post, and sharing their experience with us, I really do. I just feel, however, that is just further demonstrates how appallingly behind the UK is - and has been for a decade plus - with internet infrastructure.

Like, honestly, the UK is a miniscule country, how hard can it possibly be?!
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Jul-17 13:08:45
Print Post

Mind you, I get my health care for free, am far less likely to be shot whilst going about my daily business, and haven't voted in a congenital idiot as president. Swings and roundabouts innit.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Jul-17 13:12:35
Print Post

Well I've no knowledge of E12, but can recommend Pau and it's surroundings.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Jul-17 13:26:52
Print Post

Well I've no knowledge of E12, but can recommend Pau and it's surroundings.

LOL

Paul

Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Wed 05-Jul-17 14:41:23
Print Post

I wish people would stop with the myth that the UK has healthcare for free in the UK. Nothing is free. Healthcare is paid for through general taxation and private insurance.

Regarding political leaders; Trump is an idiot, but Theresa Maybot is just as bad, worse in many respects.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 05-Jul-17 14:56:21
Print Post

It's still free
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Jul-17 15:02:32
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
It's still free

Free at the point of use. Obviously has to be paid for through taxes.
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Jul-17 15:03:08
Print Post

Mind you, I get my health care for free, am far less likely to be shot whilst going about my daily business, and haven't voted in a congenital idiot as president. Swings and roundabouts innit.

Perhaps, though not quite sure what any of this has to do with FTTP, FoD or broadband in general?
Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Wed 05-Jul-17 15:24:06
Print Post

It's still free

It is free at the point of delivery. It is unequivocally NOT free, however.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Jul-17 17:28:12
Print Post

It was a reply to t0phers post slagging off the Internet over here and generally implying that all things 'over the pond' are rosy .... which he chose to post in a thread about FTTP.

Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Wed 05-Jul-17 17:40:41
Print Post

It was a reply to t0phers post slagging off the Internet over here

Yes, it's slow, censored and swept up under mass surveillance. That's nothing to be proud of.

and generally implying that all things 'over the pond' are rosy ....

Really? Where did I make any statements relating to that, exactly? Please do feel free to quote them verbatim.

Can I safe you the trouble, idiot. I made no such statements.

Edited by toph3r (Wed 05-Jul-17 17:41:28)

Standard User GonePostal
(regular) Wed 05-Jul-17 17:44:48
Print Post

Re: My Fluidone FTTPoD install experience *DELETED*

Post deleted by GonePostal
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 05-Jul-17 17:57:38
Print Post

There is no need to refer to other posters as "idiots"
Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Wed 05-Jul-17 18:18:30
Print Post

There is no need to refer to other posters as "idiots"

Wrong. There is every reason.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 05-Jul-17 18:21:31
Print Post

I can imagine you doing that in the US and risk being shot
Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Wed 05-Jul-17 18:23:23
Print Post

I can imagine you doing that in the US and risk being shot

I doubt it, given where I live you're prohibited to carry firearms in public, but keep on with your idiot assertions.
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Jul-17 18:48:54
Print Post

I don't think there's much place you here for you.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 05-Jul-17 18:49:30
Print Post

I guess you're still woozy from the celebrations. Remember to keep yourself hydrated and you'll feel better in a day or two
Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Wed 05-Jul-17 18:49:51
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:

Been 'here' for a decade plus young boy. Not going anywhere.
Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Wed 05-Jul-17 18:50:20
Print Post

I guess you're still woozy from the celebrations. Remember to keep yourself hydrated and you'll feel better in a day or two

You realise I'm British, right? The hint was in my opening gambit, "I've been out of the UK for half a decade now".

Clearly not. Maybe you should go back to chasing mail carriers?

Edited by toph3r (Wed 05-Jul-17 18:51:10)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 05-Jul-17 18:51:16
Print Post

Oh, did you stay indoors in protest then?
Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Wed 05-Jul-17 18:52:57
Print Post

Oh, did you stay indoors in protest then?

Idiot.
Standard User GonePostal
(regular) Wed 05-Jul-17 19:07:35
Print Post

You don't post on another UK forum using the handle Jersey_Mike do you? That poster never tires of telling the readers of that Forum in as arrogant a way as possible that everything is better in the United States. He (assuming the gender from the handle) is also as well versed in the social arts.
Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Wed 05-Jul-17 19:11:20
Print Post

Re: My Fluidone FTTPoD install experience *DELETED*

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

Post deleted by seb

Edited by toph3r (Wed 05-Jul-17 19:12:31)

Standard User GonePostal
(regular) Wed 05-Jul-17 19:30:41
Print Post

That poster never tires of telling the readers of that Forum in as arrogant a way as possible that everything is better in the United States.
If you can provide evidence where I have engaged in that behaviour - other than to compare FTTP offerings between the UK and the US

So by your own admission you have indulged in that sort of behaviour. Asking me to provide evidence which you then supply yourself doesn't seem a very logical way to build a case or defend a position.

Still, I expect you will be able to draw something from this post to enable you to open another line of attack as existing defences become untenable.
Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Wed 05-Jul-17 19:41:05
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GonePostal:
So by your own admission you have indulged in that sort of behaviour.

No. I have simply stated that FTTP options in the UK are mediocre and overpriced, especially when compared to the offerings available here in the United States.

I haven't made any comment on US v UK society; I could do of course, but my thoughts would be lost on people like you I'm sure.

Edited by toph3r (Wed 05-Jul-17 19:41:16)

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Jul-17 19:57:32
Print Post

I prefer the words ignorant and clueless to describe those such as yourself.
Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Wed 05-Jul-17 20:01:51
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

I'm sure you would, except neither is remotely appropriate to describe me.
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Jul-17 21:21:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by lee111s:

Been 'here' for a decade plus young boy. Not going anywhere.

Vile.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Jul-17 22:36:44
Print Post

There are people in the UK paying less than $150 for Gigabit symmetric speeds, some as low as £30 a month. So varying examples are always possible.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Jul-17 22:38:14
Print Post

While I appreciate people sharing experiences things have somewhat derailed and gone astray in this thread and thus debating the why UK is like it is would be best served in its own thread and one where people remain sensible and discuss things nicely

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Jul-17 23:09:46
Print Post

Even $110 sounds expensive compared to Sonic who'll do gigabit internet and phone for $40/month - all depends on your location, like most broadband.
Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Wed 05-Jul-17 23:56:48
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spud2003:
Even $110 sounds expensive compared to Sonic who'll do gigabit internet and phone for $40/month

$110 for gigabit sounds very reasonable to me. FiOS jumps to around $200 a month after the introductory period.

all depends on your location, like most broadband.

Indeed. I'm fortunate to live in a region of the US that has good internet provision, the vast majority of the country is covered by one operator and is hence has a monopoly on the connection to your home.
Standard User GonePostal
(regular) Thu 06-Jul-17 00:10:22
Print Post

Can I offer my apologies as it is time I dipped out of this conversation.

I have been told over the years that one of the attractions of fly-fishing is that you have to pick the right fly and then cast it in the right place in order to get your fish to bite. Unfortunately this topic seems to have lost that challenge as any bait you throw out, no matter how configured or where it is cast is immediately taken. That has taken all of the fun out of what should be a challenging task in getting a fish to rise to the bait.
Standard User Jabes
(member) Mon 10-Jul-17 18:41:41
Print Post

What happens to your phone line when you order FTTPonDemand? Does it remain an analogue phone line or does it somehow get converted?
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Jul-17 19:07:47
Print Post

What happens to your phone line when you order FTTPonDemand? Does it remain an analogue phone line or does it somehow get converted?

Your existing copper line remains untouched, I've still got a TalkTalk Business vdsl2 and voice service active over it. Just be aware that at present FTTPoD is a data only service, though I guess you could have a voice (FVA) service over it once you migrate to a native FTTP service after 3 years.

FYI during installation the Openreach bod will offer you the option of linking the ONT to the copper master phone socket, I politely declined as I can't have FVA for 3 years at least. I also declined to have a battery backup unit (BBU) installed which is aimed at keeping a FVA service live in the event of a power cut.

I guess you'll be placing the order soon?

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 10-Jul-17 19:11:05)

Standard User Jabes
(member) Sun 16-Jul-17 15:15:03
Print Post

I guess you'll be placing the order soon?

As soon as I exchange to get the property!

Best wishes
James
Standard User Westyfield2
(newbie) Tue 18-Jul-17 16:58:04
Print Post

The question regarding the OP's neighbours… do we have an answer to that yet? They won’t have native FTTP, but would their FTTPoD installation cost be cheaper now the work has been done on your house?
Or if not and it completely require re-digging freshly laid tarmac, would it be cheaper to do a few houses at the same in one go?
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Jul-17 17:36:24
Print Post

[re: Westyfield2] [link to this post]

There is nothing in Openreach's pricing list which suggests that 2nd and subsequent FoD orders in a locality will be charged at reduced costs to the CP. I guess if others on my street were to order the service now then yes Openreach would probably find it slightly easier/cheaper/quicker to install the service now that the some of the necessary FTTP infrastructure is in place along the route, eg splitter in manifold or DP locations. However the time consuming donkey work such as laying the fibre, test rodding the ducts etc would still need to be done. No excavation work was done at all during my install, OR used the existing duct routes.

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 18-Jul-17 17:38:20)

Standard User Jabes
(member) Tue 08-Aug-17 22:46:27
Print Post

Just placing my Fluidone order right now, and they confirmed that this is the process:

· Order form and MSA signed and completed
· FluidOne to process order and submit to Openreach
· Openreach to complete initial checks and validate order (5-10 working days)
· Openreach to do survey at nearest fibre node and plan route
· Openreach to do site survey (this will usually require access to the property which you would need to agree with the current owner
· Circuit would move to planning so that all works can be planned
· Fibre works begin at fibre node
· Fibre works continue along planned fibre path
· Fibre works reach the premise where access would be required
· ONT installed at premise for the fibre termination point
· Openreach handover the circuit to FluidOne
· FluidOne activate and send Juniper CPE
· Service is tested and in use
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Aug-17 23:39:35
Print Post

Business or Residential?
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Tue 08-Aug-17 23:53:09
Print Post

You already know they don't do residential customers.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Aug-17 23:56:32
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

I will find a way to become business myself and sign up with FluidOne FTTPoD in due course. smile

Watch this space smile

Edited by adslmax (Wed 09-Aug-17 00:00:15)

Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Wed 09-Aug-17 00:09:34
Print Post

Find a way?
register here: https://www.gov.uk/limited-company-formation/registe...
pay £12, job done.

You can be the director, the only share holder etc.
FTTPod review Ltd
1 share holder, holds 1 share, value £1

Unfortunately Fluidone will likely want to run a credit check against the company.
No 20k in the bank will help there (That's a bizarre thing to say on a forum btw).
Standard User jdigz7
(learned) Wed 09-Aug-17 00:22:47
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Open ltd company open bank account for company put 20k in bank account order FTTPoD stop asking the same questions over and over on a forum and looking into every little loophole that gets your out of actually placing the order.

Pretty much either go ahead and order it or stop talking about ordering it.

Im pretty you used to complain about VM on cableforum back in the day saying your neighbours were stealing your connection and all sorts of tin foil hat theories so your pretty much just a resident troll anywhere you go.

People have made some fantastic points about why you should be taking the Cerberus deal and compared to what Baby_frogmella has paid youve got a bargain and would be able to future proof your home and stop these absolute nonsense topics and conversations about broadband ..
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Aug-17 00:28:23
Print Post

Not sure if I have said this anywhere but good of you to discuss your experience with the wider community. I'm sure some people have found it useful, while others have simply turned into Shrek with envy. smile
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Aug-17 00:29:00
Print Post

[re: jdigz7] [link to this post]

Fair point, my boss think I got personal illness with broadband as part of my life is a saddest thing. He want me to be happy with new woman, get married and a future lovely housewife, forget the broadband. He think I am mad to waste of £20k throw away.
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Aug-17 00:39:47
Print Post

That's excellent news smile how much did you end up paying?

Fingers crossed the install goes smoothly!

Netgear Nighthawk X10 running Voxel
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Aug-17 00:54:02
Print Post

No worries, thought I'd give my install experience to let others know that it doesn't always need 12+ months to get the service installed like it was previously. Of course you can/will still get delays on FTTPoD installs but I like to think Openreach have improved their deployment methods with better planning and more manpower available now that that their nationwide FTTC rollout is coming to an end.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Aug-17 08:21:37
Print Post

He's got a point, and yes you would be mad to spend that money just because you have it.

Ask yourself three questions.

Do you really need it?
Will you benefit from it?
Can you justify the cost?

If you answer them all truefully I expect all three will be no.

I could also afford FTTPod (my FTTC is far worse than yours), but my answers to the above questions are no, yes (if I'm totally honest that should be no), no, with the last question being the most important.

Ultimately there's more important things in life. Also what's happens if you lose your job or circumstances change, three years is a long time, and those savings may be required for day to day living.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Aug-17 10:35:58
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Ask yourself three questions.

Do you really need it?

No, No, No. yep, u are quite right. My money are much better elsewhere than waste on the FTTPoD because my boss is correct there why need fastest speed for because my FTTC is in excellent speed since 2014 with 80meg down and 20meg up because only live closer to the cabinet. Should count myself lucky.

My boss say my job are never gauranteed as a safe job for future as no one will know if we both still in the job next year, a year after that or future.

Told me just keep your saving in your account just in case if u lose a job. Forget FTTPoD u don't need 330/30 if you live on your own. And repeated telling me stop spend time on your broadband - go out and meet new lady!

Edited by adslmax (Wed 09-Aug-17 10:37:58)

Standard User MC31
(member) Wed 09-Aug-17 19:57:11
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Do you really need it?

Is that the wife ?

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
Standard User Jabes
(member) Wed 09-Aug-17 21:51:31
Print Post

This is a residential premises, but it is a business order. I have an office at home.
Standard User Jabes
(member) Wed 09-Aug-17 21:55:29
Print Post

FTTPoD 330/30

Monthly Rental: £315
Setup: £5,000 (includes connection charge, install and Juniper SRX CPE)
Term: 36 months
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-Aug-17 08:21:37
Print Post

[re: MC31] [link to this post]

That did make me laugh, then I had to explain to the wife what I was laughing at smile

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Aug-17 12:21:24
Print Post

FTTPoD 330/30

Monthly Rental: £315
Setup: £5,000 (includes connection charge, install and Juniper SRX CPE)
Term: 36 months

including vat or excluding vat?
Standard User mumba
(newbie) Thu 10-Aug-17 16:10:39
Print Post

Interesting. Fluiodone just quoted me £320 a month and £3900 install all ex VAT.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Aug-17 16:30:04
Print Post

[re: mumba] [link to this post]

FluidOne are rip off. Go to VM 350/25 far better.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Aug-17 19:34:47
Print Post

FluidOne - not a great start

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/08/no-warn...
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Aug-17 19:59:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
FluidOne - not a great start

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/08/no-warn...

There's no blame to be placed on FluidOne there. That company did a RedHotAnt / E7Even and weren't paying their bills. FluidOne aren't going to supply them for free and contacting end users would've been extremely problematic.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Aug-17 09:49:40
Print Post

There was an update at the URL after your post with a response from net365 - if their account is correct then FluidOne seem to hold a good amount of blame - but I wouldn't want to speculate as to whether the account is 100% complete and accurate.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 16-Aug-17 18:14:43
Print Post

they dont seem the guilty party here.

if a customer doesnt pay bills what do you expect to happen?

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Aug-17 09:37:25
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

If the bill is in dispute then I would not expect it to suddenly be cut off. But, we aren't seeing the whole story.
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Aug-17 10:01:23
Print Post

According to the latest update from Fluidone, Net365 did not keep up payments on an AGREED payment plan after Net365 were having REPEATED payment issues. If what Fluidone are saying is true, then you can't really blame them for cutting off service, there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 17-Aug-17 19:03:24
Print Post

It wasnt suddenly if they telling the truth, they made it clear at least 2 weeks notice is given.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Aug-17 11:47:05
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

The update to the article with the post from FluidOne was after my post so I was going on Net365's account. I see FluidOne are suggesting Net365 is being libelous so would appear it will be down to the courts and/or lawyers to sort this one out.
Standard User chamsters
(newbie) Mon 23-Oct-17 22:00:21
Print Post

Following on from here where BT almost sold me FTTPoD 330/30 for a 'bargain' £150 pm with zero construction charges, I went with Fluidone/Fluidata in the end. In order to help others who are thinking of going down the FTTPoD route, I will describe my experience and the various stages involved in the build process. It was a relatively straightforward install (despite some hiccups at the end!) but as many of us know Openreach can botch up even simple bespoke installs, so I was a bit apprehensive at the beginning.

I ended up paying £3700 in construction charges (band D) and £300 pm in rental charges on a min 3 year term after which I can take out a native FTTP service at a lower price. At present Fluidone are the only ISP selling the Openreach based FTTPoD service. If you live in SW England/S Wales then Spectrum Internet may also be offer you the product provided they have LLU'd your exchange. But obviously living in the Scottish Highlands, Fluidone were my only option.

The service was ordered in mid February 2017 and finally went live yesterday so took nearly 4 months which was within the initial estimated timescale of 2-4 months given by Openreach to Fluidone at the beginning. Fluidone were pretty good and kept me in the loop all along, their 'Service Delivery' team (thanks to Ana, Roxana & Adina) were very pro-active and provided weekly email updates. Based on their correspondence, these were the build stages after I placed the order:

1) Survey

This was carried out 3-4 weeks after I placed the order. An Openreach Surveyor came around, had a poke inside the home & took loads of photos inside & outside the home. He followed the existing duct routes to the nearest aggregation node (~800m away) looking out for any possible obstructions and other bits and bobs. Based on his report, there were no Excess Construction Charges (ECCs) so the order went ahead as planned. Its important to remember that if ECCs do apply after the survey, then you have the option of cancelling the order without paying a penny - otherwise penalties may apply. Also be aware that Openreach will not install the service to a Multi Dwelling Unit (eg block of flats) for obvious reasons - this will normally be flagged up at the quotation stage.

2) Test Rodding of Existing Underground Ducts

Over the next few weeks, I saw Openreach shoving rods/poles/cables down various manholes and outside my home checking for any obstructions in the U/G ducts. My home was built in 2008 so the ducts aren't that old but I imagine blocked ducts could add significant delays to the timescales. Test rodding was completed without any issues.

3) Cabling of route

Openreach had to back order the fibre cabling as they had insufficient stock at their Inverness depot, this took around 3 weeks. Once cable supplies arrived, it took around 10 days to lay the fibre. Again this went smoothly.

4) Jointing Works

Once the cabling was in place, it had to be spliced along with the necessary work at the exchange & installation of Customer Splice Point (CSP). For some strange reason Openreach also did the internal wiring and fixing of ONT during this stage which had me excited prematurely. Jointing works took around 2 weeks in total.

5) Testing of FTTP circuit & allocation of Circuit ID

This involved the engineer going with his meter gadget and checking the signals at various points in the PON network, eg CSP, DP, splitter node etc. Once testing was completed successfully, the BT/Openreach line checker for my address changed from FTTPoD to native FTTP and a circuit ID was issued for my line:

https://postimg.org/image/isc1wd2a5/

6) Installation of internal wiring/ONT and activation of service

Once the correct hardware was hooked up, I finally got a connection. However speeds were shocking initially (ala dial-up) and web browsing was painfully slow, but a few hours later Fluidone made a few config changes at their end and speeds were more respectable. For some strange reason TBB speedtest results are weird and I never get more than 300 Mbps:

My Broadband Speed Test

However, speedtest.net and speed.io and give me the full whack 310/30 so I'm not too fussed about the TBB results. More importantly (?!) torrents download at the full 40 MB/s so can't complain too much. Pings aren't brilliant @ 20ms but living in North Scotland means I'm never going to get ping times in single digits, even on a FTTP service.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6366208787

Overall the install went smoothly and I didn't really have anything major to complain about despite the hiccups at the end.

Prior to placing the order with Fluidone, I was chatting with Zen Broadband Sales and they told me they weren't selling FTTPoD anymore due to their poor experience with Openreach, even relatively simple installs were taking as long as 18 months. I guess AAISP decided to discontinue FTTPoD for the same reason - see here for a FTTPoD install experience on AAISP a few years back. However, if (and its a big 'if') Openreach have now improved their deployment process for FTTPoD, then it would be great if the likes of Zen, AAISP, IDNet et al could look into selling the product again. This would probably drive prices down, not by much as FTTPoD is still a premium/niche product but it would be good to at least have a choice of FTTPoD providers -for the Openreach based service that is.

Some photos of my install:

https://s18.postimg.org/n3s26bdop/IMG_001.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/76ta9llah/IMG_002.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/nvuq5ihvt/IMG_003.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/h6o6phwjt/IMG_004.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/rurxoc6ix/IMG_005.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/69mv0q9s9/IMG_006.jpg

Hope this helps, any questions fire away smile

Hi there,

Amazing post - thanks!

Just wondering - have you had any issues with streaming services such as BBC iplayer or ITV etc? I know it tends to block some business ips or data centres but wondering if that's the case for business IPs too.

Thanks!
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 24-Oct-17 08:44:06
Print Post

[re: chamsters] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chamsters:
Hi there,

Amazing post - thanks!

Just wondering - have you had any issues with streaming services such as BBC iplayer or ITV etc? I know it tends to block some business ips or data centres but wondering if that's the case for business IPs too.

Thanks!

No issues at all accessing streaming services or finding my ipv4 (static) address is blocked on certain sites.

Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User chamsters
(newbie) Tue 24-Oct-17 08:51:09
Print Post

Hi there,

Amazing post - thanks!

Thanks!

No issues at all accessing streaming services or finding my ipv4 (static) address is blocked on certain sites.

thanks! What about ipv6 - is this available? Can you have multiple ipv4s?
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 24-Oct-17 09:03:12
Print Post

[re: chamsters] [link to this post]

thanks! What about ipv6 - is this available? Can you have multiple ipv4s?

Yep, true ipv6 is available and you can have multiple ipv4 addresses upon request (free of charge). I just have a single static ipv4 IP as that suits my needs.

FluidOne also do a very nifty 'weathermap' showing a live traffic snapshot of their network. I've never seen the load go above 25%, even at peak times.

http://www.imageupload.co.uk/image/DOUB

Netgear Nighthawk X10

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 24-Oct-17 09:25:29)

(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Dec-17 14:28:01
Print Post

Received this stylish and meaty mug from FluidOne today, expect to receive similar gifts from them once you're onboard smile

https://s18.postimg.org/5by8izpft/mug1.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/fys1ofd0p/mug2.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/7t9zq9whl/mug3.jpg

Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Dec-17 17:26:36
Print Post

Nice pre x-mas pressie.
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Thu 07-Dec-17 22:16:32
Print Post

Received this stylish and meaty mug from FluidOne today, expect to receive similar gifts from them once you're onboard smile

https://s18.postimg.org/fys1ofd0p/mug2.jpg

Being slightly curious I just pointed my phones QR code app at the code on the inside bottom of the mug shown at the middle link, which linked to http://uqr.to/969h ( http://www.fluidone.com/the-mug/ ) in case anyone else is interested wink

FTTP 80/20 Mbps

Edited by Rastus (Thu 07-Dec-17 22:17:16)

Standard User DrPepper
(regular) Fri 08-Dec-17 16:39:57
Print Post

Had to decode the binary: 'DATA DELIVERY NETWORK'
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 08-Dec-17 16:53:30
Print Post

[re: DrPepper] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrPepper:

I thought it was just a series of random zeros and ones lol

Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User raesene
(learned) Sun 10-Dec-17 10:56:31
Print Post

nice, I wonder if I'll get one, my FluidOne service is *hopefully* about to go live as Openreach turned up this week, unexpectedly, and completed the jointing and installed the internal kit.

I'm just waiting now for the Openreach handover document to Fluidone so they can activate the serivce, apparently that can take "a couple of days"...
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Dec-17 15:45:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by raesene:
nice, I wonder if I'll get one, my FluidOne service is *hopefully* about to go live as Openreach turned up this week, unexpectedly, and completed the jointing and installed the internal kit.

I'm just waiting now for the Openreach handover document to Fluidone so they can activate the serivce, apparently that can take "a couple of days"...

In my case it took around 10 days for Openreach to hand the line over to Fluidone, service went live on the date Openreach activated the ONT ( had an Engineer visit). So hopefully not long to go now for you. I take it they’ve now installed the necessary fttp hardware at the terminating exchange?

Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User DrPepper
(regular) Mon 11-Dec-17 08:09:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by DrPepper:

I thought it was just a series of random zeros and ones lol

As soon as I saw it, I thought it looked like ASCII, the hard bit was writing it down from the side on image!
Standard User raesene
(learned) Mon 11-Dec-17 21:57:12
Print Post

Yep the FTTP hardware problem seemed to have solved itself early. Unexpected, but not unwelcome!

I got the e-mail today from Fluidone saying that the line was active. Just done some tests and whilst upstream is about where I'd expect it to be at 25Mbps, downstream is only 28Mbps, so something pretty wrong there, hopefully just some tweaks to configuration needed to make that work.

Possibly interestingly, I was chatting with the Openreach engineers doing the installation and when they checked, my line length is about 21km, which seems like quite a long way!
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-Dec-17 08:28:42
Print Post

Yep the FTTP hardware problem seemed to have solved itself early. Unexpected, but not unwelcome!

I got the e-mail today from Fluidone saying that the line was active. Just done some tests and whilst upstream is about where I'd expect it to be at 25Mbps, downstream is only 28Mbps, so something pretty wrong there, hopefully just some tweaks to configuration needed to make that work.

Possibly interestingly, I was chatting with the Openreach engineers doing the installation and when they checked, my line length is about 21km, which seems like quite a long way!

That's great news! Welcome to the FTTPoD club smile

FWIW my line was also not getting speeds anywhere near 300 Mbps at the beginning, however a few hours later Fluidone support fixed this and its been at ~310/30 Mbps ever since - though there was a few days outage in Nov as some numpty at the exchange decided to mess up my line profile which was solved by a re-config at the exchange.

Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User raesene
(learned) Tue 12-Dec-17 13:01:12
Print Post

Well looks like it just needed a bit of time to settle down. This morning we're getting 260Mpbs-280Mbps which is pretty good and I have a feeling the bottle neck is more the Unifi security gateway we're using as a direct connected laptop was getting 300Mbps

Upstream is 28Mbps which is pretty close to the target as well.

I'm now very happy to be a member of the FTTPoD club, it's taken a while but worth it if we can keep this sort of speed up.
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Tue 12-Dec-17 15:09:04
Print Post

I would agree with the Unifi Security GW being the bottleneck. I love the Unifi devices and I love the deep packet inspection, but the small box isn't powerful enough and does get REALLY hot.

I am going to stick with my PFSense based router.

I have a question, how are you using Unifi USG, I thought it was a requirement to use the Juniper Router that Fluidone provide?

Snake smile
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-Dec-17 16:37:54
Print Post

[re: Snake] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Snake:
I thought it was a requirement to use the Juniper Router that Fluidone provide?

You can plug any third party router into the Juniper and use it as an access point, eg for wifi coverage as there is no wifi built into the Juniper. Though its relatively simple to bypass the Juniper altogether and use your own kit wink

Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User raesene
(learned) Tue 12-Dec-17 20:09:07
Print Post

as baby_frogmella says you can plug your own kit into the Juniper box.

To provide a bit more on my experience, they provided me with a /31 subnet, so essentially two addresses. One of which was assigned to the gateway and the other of which was avaialble for assignment to my USG.

As an aside Windows really does not like /31 subnets, I was doing some initial tests using a Win 10 laptop, and it wouldn't take /31 as a mask you had to just lie and enter /30. The USG also wasn't too happy with that but after a couple of attempts it took the change ok.

I'll maybe look into pfsense boxes. what I really want is something which will run ntop-ng which is great for monitoring traffic, and on top of that just some basic packet filtering and port forwarding.

It's less relevant now I've got decent speeds, but when I was on 10Mbps total ntop-ng was very handy for identifying what was chewing my bandwidth
Standard User Tolq
(newbie) Wed 13-Dec-17 20:23:43
Print Post

Crikey, 21 km?! Dare I ask how much you were charged in install costs?

I am 4.6km away from a fibre enabled cabinet myself, and I thought my line length was bad... Running a business from home, a 4mbit line (upload sub 200k) just won't cut it, so I might look into FTTPoD myself in February, once the pricing changes.

Since I live in Aberdeenshire, I am apparently eligible to participate in the gigabit voucher scheme. Does anyone know if it can be combined with a custom FTTPoD install?
Standard User raesene
(learned) Wed 13-Dec-17 21:06:57
Print Post

[re: Tolq] [link to this post]

So whilst the line back to the exchange is apparently 21Km, I was only charged back to the Aggregation node, which is a lot shorter in distance smile The cost for install for me was £3500 or so.

The way our connection worked was that the main Fibre line from the Head end exchange runs down the valley and on poles not too far from our house. So what the engineeers did was take a spur from that line at the corner of the road and then run it from there down to the house, which isn't too far really.

I have a feeling that once the changes come in it might well have been cheaper for us, as there was no duct work involved at all, although one of our poles did need replacing and they did need to string fibre across a river, which can't have been the easiest thing to do in the world...
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 13-Dec-17 21:15:43
Print Post

So whilst the line back to the exchange is apparently 21Km, I was only charged back to the Aggregation node, which is a lot shorter in distance smile The cost for install for me was £3500 or so.
That's right the connect charge is to the aggregation node.
Standard User FibreFelix
(newbie) Thu 14-Dec-17 10:06:23
Print Post

Hi Guys

New to the forum, been reading the Fludione and Cerberus install forums with interest, having ordered a Cerberus FTTPoD service.

I'd be interested to hear if you manage to solve the performance issue with the USG once you have been using for a while Raesene as that is what we currently use too but if it's likely to be a bottleneck I'll defininitely upgrade!

Thanks

Felix
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Fri 15-Dec-17 10:02:02
Print Post

So whilst the line back to the exchange is apparently 21Km

Really? Do you mean 2.1 km?

William Grimsley.
Standard User raesene
(learned) Fri 15-Dec-17 10:19:47
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

Nope 21km.

As far as I know my connection runs from my house to the Head end exchange. When they were doing the commissioning the engineer specifically asked the technical contact for the line length as he was curious to know (it was his first FTTP install) and that was the length stated...

Delights of Fibre all the way I guess, it's possible to have much longer line lengths.
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-Dec-17 11:22:02
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WilliamGrimsley:
So whilst the line back to the exchange is apparently 21Km

Really? Do you mean 2.1 km?

Nothing unusual about a 21km line on fttp, considering that fttp lines will not always terminate at the nearest exchange. In my case my fttp line is ~6km long but like raesene says length is irrelevant on fttp lines wrt speeds.

Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Fri 15-Dec-17 11:57:37
Print Post

ISTR upto 40km is permissible

Edited by witchunt (Fri 15-Dec-17 11:58:51)

Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Fri 15-Dec-17 12:04:12
Print Post

Sorry, ignore me, thought this was FTTC not FTTP. Makes total sense now.

William Grimsley.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Fri 15-Dec-17 12:04:48)

Standard User Tolq
(newbie) Fri 15-Dec-17 13:47:20
Print Post

Fair enough. I was told by Cerberus that I am in band H, so the closest aggregation node is at least 1.7km closer than my cabinet. Still, I was given an estimated install cost of just over 10K...! I think I'll wait and see what the new pricing model means for install costs.

Edited by Tolq (Fri 15-Dec-17 13:49:06)

Standard User witchunt
(committed) Fri 15-Dec-17 14:11:26
Print Post

Fortunate that the aggregation node wasn't too far away.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Dec-17 14:40:32
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by witchunt:
Fortunate that the aggregation node wasn't too far away.

I know our Splitter Node is located the bottom of our road, I think our Aggregation Node is on the main road 200 to 300m away, but that might just be the other Splitter Node for our area, only seen it open the once when I was in a cab going to a Hospital Appointment, so hard to tell.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.47 Mbps (down), 29.78 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User indigobanana
(regular) Fri 15-Dec-17 16:07:39
Print Post

Something I'm a little unsure about

Could an older node with leased fibre circuits (i.e. not one feeding a cabinet etc) be used as the aggregation node?

FTTC with BT, ~38Mbps sync, 1.2km from cab!
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Fri 15-Dec-17 16:16:09
Print Post

[re: indigobanana] [link to this post]

No.
Standard User indigobanana
(regular) Fri 15-Dec-17 17:52:38
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

That's a shame, there's one near here - I saw some engineers working there. Will be quite a bit further to the one next to the cab.

FTTC with BT, ~38Mbps sync, 1.2km from cab!
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Sun 17-Dec-17 18:33:57
Print Post

BT Wholesale will be soon offering 1Gig and 500Mb FTTP and FTTPoD:

BT Wholesale are working towards the trial and launch of new speeds of 500M and 1G on FTTP and FTTP on Demand.

Developments to support these products are currently targeted at March 2018 and May 2018 releases.

Openreach have limitations to where these speeds will be supported and the BT Wholesale availability checker will advise where it’s supported by Openreach and BTWholesale WBC.

There will be a trial period for the new speeds, the exact dates of both trial and launch are still to be approved as is formal pricing.
Standard User Tolq
(newbie) Sun 17-Dec-17 19:49:58
Print Post

Any info on the upload speeds?

BT Wholesale will be soon offering 1Gig and 500Mb FTTP and FTTPoD:

BT Wholesale are working towards the trial and launch of new speeds of 500M and 1G on FTTP and FTTP on Demand.

Developments to support these products are currently targeted at March 2018 and May 2018 releases.

Openreach have limitations to where these speeds will be supported and the BT Wholesale availability checker will advise where it’s supported by Openreach and BTWholesale WBC.

There will be a trial period for the new speeds, the exact dates of both trial and launch are still to be approved as is formal pricing.
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Dec-17 20:25:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by Tolq:

500/165 Mbps & 1000/220 Mbps.

Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Dec-17 05:18:21
Print Post

Any news when?

I am more interested in the Upload, 310Mbit down is fine for us here, just more up would be nice.

Is there any other between the 30Mbits and 165Mbits ?

Paul

(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Dec-17 08:22:44
Print Post

Any news when?

I am more interested in the Upload, 310Mbit down is fine for us here, just more up would be nice.

Paul

See AndyHCZ's post from yesterday wink

Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Dec-17 09:40:43
Print Post

Any news when?

Paul

See AndyHCZ's post from yesterday wink

Yeah, I am blind LOL
Thanks

Paul

Standard User Ripley
(experienced) Mon 18-Dec-17 12:22:51
Print Post

How do you feel now about what this has cost you? Initial excitement gone and pings perhaps not what you expected.

£14500 over a 3 year period is a hell of a lot of money, over 400 quid a month.

How does it compare to the alternative solution of just having a couple of lines installed, one for back ground downloading and one for general browsing? This could save you enough money to pay a small mortgage!

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
ASUS RT-AC66U
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Dec-17 13:57:06
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ripley:
How do you feel now about what this has cost you? Initial excitement gone and pings perhaps not what you expected.

£14500 over a 3 year period is a hell of a lot of money, over 400 quid a month.

How does it compare to the alternative solution of just having a couple of lines installed, one for back ground downloading and one for general browsing? This could save you enough money to pay a small mortgage!

LOL not sure why you think I would have regrets? I took out the service to future proof my connectivity in my "forever" home with FTTP, its certainly considerably cheaper than a leased fibre line albeit without the better SLAs - I was quoted > £700 pm for a fibre leased line for similar speeds. Yes, i could have taken out multiple FTTC lines but it would still be based on last mile copper technology along with all the caveats, eg noise margins, DLM banding, distance to cabinet, etc. Was it expensive? Yes, in relation to a £19.99 pm TalkTalk FTTC service but definitely not when compared to a £700 pm leased line. Do I have any regrets? Absolutely not.

As for FTTP line performance, I'm getting ~ 310/30 Mbps day & night 7 days a week....which is basically leased line performance despite being on a shared bandwidth service. Pings of 2-3 ms would be great but that's simply impossible for a connection in North Scotland with ISP's servers in London. I was getting ~ 22ms on FTTC and now getting ~ 19ms on FTTP. I'm pretty sure the laws of physics cannot be changed wink

Netgear Nighthawk X10

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 18-Dec-17 14:26:36)

Standard User Ripley
(experienced) Mon 18-Dec-17 14:39:41
Print Post

I just cant really see any justification in it from your response. In real world use I'm sure 99% of the time it would make little difference in comparison to an FTTC line. The comparison to a £700 lease line doesn't really make it value for money in terms of what you would use it for.

I only ask as I have been interested in it myself, but it seems crazy when you do the numbers.

I get what you are saying about the future proofing.

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
ASUS RT-AC66U
Standard User raesene
(learned) Tue 19-Dec-17 18:01:22
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

I've just gone live on the FluidOne service as well and, for me, the main reasons are

a) Future proofing the connection and

b) Upload speeds. Even with 3x FTTC connections I was getting 3Mb/s up which was restrictive for any larger upload. Having 30Mbp/s up has been great, made a major difference for things like file copies when I'm on my work's VPN. Also means that we can re-enable cloud storage without having random periods where our network gets locked up by uploads.

The extra download over the 50Mbp/s I was getting on 3xFTTC is nice but not as critical. Of course the other part for me was that I was already paying roughly the same as the FluidOne cost for A&A Office::1 FTTC, so the only difference is the one-off install fee.
Standard User raesene
(learned) Tue 19-Dec-17 18:03:18
Print Post

I was meaning to ask about your speeds on FluidOne. Have you run any speedtests in the evenings/weekends?

I've been getting pretty close to 300Mbp/s down during the day but at night that drops off quite a bit (can go as low as 100Mbp/s). I'm sorting out some speedtests with them to look into what's causing that but interested to know if it's just my connection or a wider thing.
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Dec-17 18:44:32
Print Post

I was meaning to ask about your speeds on FluidOne. Have you run any speedtests in the evenings/weekends?

I've been getting pretty close to 300Mbp/s down during the day but at night that drops off quite a bit (can go as low as 100Mbp/s). I'm sorting out some speedtests with them to look into what's causing that but interested to know if it's just my connection or a wider thing.

Nup, I'm getting > 300 Mbps day and night. A speedtest just now:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6893990766

From your description it seems like you're on a congested link somewhere between the exchange and Fluidone's network, on the BT Wholesale network. Worth asking Fluidone if they can get BTW to put you on a different virtual path (SVLAN) at your headend exchange. Also your exchange may not have BTW 10Gbp/s backhaul links in which case BTW putting you on a different SVLAN may not help. I believe the exchange I'm connected to (Inverness Macdhui) has 10 Gig links which might explain why I'm not experiencing slowdowns at peak times.

Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User raesene
(learned) Tue 19-Dec-17 19:08:12
Print Post

Ahh very interesting thanks for the info.

We're doing some NUTTCP testing tomorrow afternoon between our connection and the FluidOne core network, so if there's a bottleneck around the head end exchange that would show up then hopefully, and that fits the bill of what we're seeing.
Standard User walkers
(newbie) Wed 20-Dec-17 10:59:22
Print Post

FTTP is up to 330Meg speed. (no one can guarantee it) just be glad you got FTTP while everyone's else stuck on copper wiring up to 80Meg.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Dec-17 11:50:48
Print Post

[re: walkers] [link to this post]

just be glad you got FTTP while everyone's else stuck on copper wiring up to 80Meg.
As far as I can tell they've paid for the FTTPoD installation - something that most people on FTTC are welcome to do if they want to.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Thu 21-Dec-17 11:50:32
Print Post

[re: walkers] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by walkers:
FTTP is up to 330Meg speed. (no one can guarantee it)

Although there are no guarantees with FTTP, BT Wholesale offers service level agreements. These have recently been significantly enhanced for certain ultrafast products:

G.Fast/FTTP

Product | Variant | Minimum Best Efforts

160/30 Standard 95Mbps
160/30 Elevated 110Mbps

330/50 Standard 195Mbps
330/50 Elevated 225Mbps

Edited by AndyHCZ (Thu 21-Dec-17 11:51:03)

Standard User raesene
(learned) Fri 22-Dec-17 10:23:12
Print Post

Good call on the congestion idea. FluidOne did some NUTTCP tests which showed that the line itself was ok (it could hit 300Mbps) but they enquired with Openreach about possible congestion and that has showed up a potential issue, which is getting looked into.
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 30-Dec-17 10:31:44
Print Post

Good call on the congestion idea. FluidOne did some NUTTCP tests which showed that the line itself was ok (it could hit 300Mbps) but they enquired with Openreach about possible congestion and that has showed up a potential issue, which is getting looked into.

Did your peak time speed issue get resolved in the end? Luckily no such issues on my line ever since it went live.

Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User raesene
(learned) Sat 30-Dec-17 11:03:35
Print Post

Did your peak time speed issue get resolved in the end? Luckily no such issues on my line ever since it went live.

The call is still open with FluidOne for now, I'm guessing there might not be much progress on it now till the new year. Today I'm seeing 210Mb/s down, so somewhat below where it should be...
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 30-Dec-17 11:23:54
Print Post

Today I'm seeing 210Mb/s down, so somewhat below where it should be...

Mmmmm still room for improvement but at least FluidOne are working on it. You should be seeing something like this once its fixed

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6922450391

Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User craski
(committed) Sat 30-Dec-17 18:33:19
Print Post

It will be interesting to see what Fluidone are able to do given that Openreach wont necessarily consider congestion a fault unless your FTTPoD connection is running at less than 40Mb.

Zen Business FTTC BQM
IDNET ADSL BQM
Standard User raesene
(learned) Tue 30-Jan-18 17:39:11
Print Post

so just an update in case anyone else gets similar problems smile

baby_frogmella was right on target with the congestion thing. After a couple of to and fro's with Openreach, the line got moved to another VLAN and that's improved matters greatly (I was seeing speeds as slow as 30Mbps in the evenings before the move and now I'm pretty much always over 200Mbps)

Apparently the complex faults team are still looking at it as there's some undefined problem on back-end systems, but it's now largely fixed

As an aside, one technique I found useful for gathering statistics to demonstrate the problem was using iperf3 (https://iperf.fr/iperf-doc.php) on cron running every 15 minues for 10 seconds and then dumping the download speed out to a file. that let me graph speed against time, which showed the evening slowdown as a regular occurance.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 30-Jan-18 17:51:13
Print Post

As an aside, one technique I found useful for gathering statistics to demonstrate the problem was using iperf3 (https://iperf.fr/iperf-doc.php) on cron running every 15 minues for 10 seconds and then dumping the download speed out to a file. that let me graph speed against time, which showed the evening slowdown as a regular occurance.
That looks quite an interesting program. I would like a version for a Raspberry Pi.

Michael Chare
Standard User raesene
(learned) Tue 30-Jan-18 17:59:46
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

so iperf3 is probably in the raspbian repo's if you're using that (I just installed from the Ubuntu repo's)...
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Jan-18 18:29:47
Print Post

baby_frogmella was right on target with the congestion thing. After a couple of to and fro's with Openreach, the line got moved to another VLAN and that's improved matters greatly (I was seeing speeds as slow as 30Mbps in the evenings before the move and now I'm pretty much always over 200Mbps)

We had a similar issue with our FTTP with BT where our 300Mbit dropped down to 45Mbits in the evening a few times.

All it took was a phone call to BT and the issues was removed, granted I was told its not classed as a fault until it drops below 40Mbits.
After about 10 to 20 mins of me complaining etc I was forwarded to the technical team and they did some checks and the next night up to now it has been fine.

Granted it still drops in the evening etc but it s never drops below 200Mbits.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 303.03 Mbps (down), 31.71 Mbps (up) FVA
Standard User craski
(committed) Tue 30-Jan-18 18:49:28
Print Post

Hopefully the fix will last.
I've had congestion problems with BT Wholesale back haul on Zen in the past and an SVLAN swap fixed things for a while and then congestion would return again and we'd have to do the same merry dance to get it moved again.

Zen Business FTTC BQM
IDNET ADSL BQM

Edited by craski (Tue 30-Jan-18 18:50:28)

Standard User Jabes
(member) Tue 30-Jan-18 23:01:21
Print Post

Where were you connecting iperf to?
My fluidone connection seems fine right now, but have only been testing with speedtouch-cli mostly (which under reports). My only direct connect from my mac got >300Mbits as expected, but this was during a working day.
If I could set up iperf against something on a crontab I'd be confident it was ok - and I want to play with my firewall config anyway and make sure I don't introduce anything bad for my environment!
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 31-Jan-18 14:12:38
Print Post

Nice one, hope your improved speeds remain stable. 7+ months later my speeds are still a rock solid 310/29 Mbps day & night, if (and its a big if) my speeds stay like this for the full 3 year term then I will look into the possibility at staying with FluidOne beyond my min term, on a new/cheaper FTTP contract. Hopefully by that time they will be selling OR/BTW based 1 Gig FTTP smile

Netgear Nighthawk X10

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 31-Jan-18 16:47:33)

(fountain of knowledge) Wed 31-Jan-18 14:16:07
Print Post

Glad to hear you got the service installed in the end, did the install go smoothly?

Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User Jabes
(member) Wed 31-Jan-18 16:26:04
Print Post

Glad to hear you got the service installed in the end, did the install go smoothly?

Openreach engineer arrived on time but needed to wait for a colleague with a cherry picker to arrive to run the fibre. It was the new connectorised installation - Openreach had installed 8 strands to the top of a nearby pole (lucky neighbours!!).

The engineer ran the fibre into my house and installed a new style ont (one box containing the ont and battery).

I take the Ethernet from the ont and run it across my own fibre using a media converter where it connects to the jupiter and then my unifi usg3 then back to my house and other outbuildings over my fibre.

All works very nicely and see 200mbit real world from my 5ghz wifi and the full 300+ from desktop machines.

So very pleased!
Standard User raesene
(regular) Wed 31-Jan-18 18:19:55
Print Post

So I've got a VM running on a hosted box which I run the iperf3 server on. I just shoved it up on a high port, to minimize the number of people using my server for free speed tests smile

The script I knocked up to extract the data from iperf is https://github.com/raesene/iperf3-ruby . that generates a new CSV file for each data and puts one line into the CSV file per run, so you can use cron to do it periodically and keep an eye on speeds that way.
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Oct-18 11:14:43
Print Post

Well I guess my luck had to run out sooner or later frown

Over the last week or so, I'm getting slow downs in the evenings from 7pm to midnight, around 150 Mbps instead of the usual 300 Mbps during the daytime. Fluidone have raised this with their carrier (BT Wholesale) to see what's going on. It can't be congestion at FluidOne's end as their live 'weather maps' never go above 25% load at any time of the day so its most likely a congestion issue somewhere on the BTW network or at the exchange.

@jabes
@raesene

How's your Fluidone service holding up so far?

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User Jabes
(member) Tue 02-Oct-18 15:13:24
Print Post

How's your Fluidone service holding up so far?

I've never felt my Fluidone service is "top speed". But then it hasn't been poor enough for me to care, it's still extremely fast.

I take the ethernet from the ONT and use a TP-Link gigabit media converter to throw it over fibre into my garage, where it comes back onto ethernet and into the Juniper router. From there it goes into my Unifi USG3 and on to my network.

I suspect the USG3 is a little underpowered for the full 330Mb (although some people run faster links on them, depending on settings) and I've never felt sensitive enough to try and track down the last 30mb or so. When I test the speed I've seen >250mb usually which has been fast enough for me.

If you want me to do some "real" testing at certain times of day to compare something, let me know and I'll try and set something up.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Oct-18 16:15:12
Print Post

... and what do you get with the Juniper connected straight into the ONT ?

(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Oct-18 20:49:14
Print Post

Urrrrgggghhh....getting just 116 Mbps this evening:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7685505605

Fluidone have forced me to plug the Juniper SRX300 back into the Openreach ONT as without the Juniper they cannot help me - apparently being on a '"managed install'' i have to leave the Juniper plugged in at all times. The Juniper gets re-packed and goes back in the loft collecting dust once this is resolved though smile

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User Jabes
(member) Tue 02-Oct-18 21:09:26
Print Post

... and what do you get with the Juniper connected straight into the ONT ?

Never tested it. If I had to guess my weak link would be my USG3 configuration.
I did test the Media Converters when I got them and they can do line speed 1gig...
Standard User Jabes
(member) Tue 02-Oct-18 21:12:26
Print Post

Urrrrgggghhh....getting just 116 Mbps this evening:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7685505605

Fluidone have forced me to plug the Juniper SRX300 back into the Openreach ONT as without the Juniper they cannot help me - apparently being on a '"managed install'' i have to leave the Juniper plugged in at all times. The Juniper gets re-packed and goes back in the loft collecting dust once this is resolved though smile

This is on a wifi connection going through my network (in fact, from the USG3 above this would go through, via fibre, back to the house and then on to a Unifi AC-Pro access point).

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7685598831
Standard User Jabes
(member) Tue 02-Oct-18 21:26:31
Print Post

You inspired me to try from a wired connection. This is from a virtual machine (XenServer host).
Route is ONT->Media Converter->Fibre Link->Media Converter->Juniper->USG3->Core Switch->Office Switch->XenServer

[email protected]:~/SpeedTest$ ./SpeedTest
SpeedTest++ version 1.13
Speedtest.net command line interface
Info: https://github.com/taganaka/SpeedTest
Author: Francesco Laurita <[email protected]>

IP: xx.xx.xx.xx ( Fluidone Ltd. ) Location: [xx, xx]
Finding fastest server... 7364 Servers online
Server: Eastbourne speedtest-01.cloudconnx.net:8080 by CloudConnX (78.7884 km from you): 7 ms
Ping: 7 ms.
Jitter: 0 ms.
Determine line type (2) ........................
Fiber / Lan line type detected: profile selected fiber

Testing download speed (32) ................................................................................................................................
Download: 295.51 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed (12) ..........................................................
Upload: 28.91 Mbit/s
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Tue 02-Oct-18 23:38:44
Print Post

100% its the USG I went from USG to USG-pro and speed went up.

Cerberus FTTPoD
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Oct-18 07:47:18
Print Post

Thanks, you’re more or less getting line speeds so all’s well on your line.

Fluidone have put an “advanced traffic monitoring entry” on my line to continuously monitor speeds, this *should* flag up evening/peak time slow downs.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User Jabes
(member) Wed 03-Oct-18 09:50:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by Snake:
100% its the USG I went from USG to USG-pro and speed went up.

I feel like there'll be a new USG soon as I'm not feeling super slow I'll worry about it later! There are a few other things on my homelab shopping list first.... *rubs hands*

Best wishes
James
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Oct-18 16:15:51
Print Post

I've had to reboot the ONT and all connected hardware as Fluidone have informed me that BT Wholesale "has carried out a remote cease and reprovide to rebuild the FTTP circuit."

Hopefully this means I've been put on a different virtual LAN path at the exchange (SVLAN), ie on a less congested route.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
(knowledge is power) Mon 08-Oct-18 20:54:14
Print Post

Speeds are back to normal during peak times after my line was put on a different SVLAN by BT Wholesale this morning smile

My Broadband Speed Test

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7701415110

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User craski
(committed) Mon 08-Oct-18 21:24:03
Print Post

Good news.

I am curious however as to what it is that causes their automatic SVLAN management system to fail to identify the congestion necessitating manual intervention to fix it.

Zen Business FTTC BQM
IDNET ADSL BQM
(knowledge is power) Mon 08-Oct-18 22:16:07
Print Post

[re: craski] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by craski:
I am curious however as to what it is that causes their automatic SVLAN management system to fail to identify the congestion necessitating manual intervention to fix it.

No idea, but I'm really pleased both my CP & BTW acknowledged that my line was suffering from congestion and took the necessary action to remedy this. They could easily have said "sorry, your line is running within spec so there's not much we can do" like BT Retail have been known to say to their Infinity 4 customers.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to