General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Nov-17 16:21:13
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD - New Pricing from Openreach from Feb 2018

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

Going slightly off topic here, but any idea when BT retail (or other CPs) will start selling 500 Mbps and 1 Gbps services on FTTP? Its almost a year since Openreach announced them yet no ISP is selling these (AFAIK). Wouldn't mind one of the higher tier services mainly to get a significant increase in upload speeds (as high as 220 Mbps).

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 04-Nov-17 16:23:59)

Standard User Westyfield2
(learned) Sat 04-Nov-17 16:23:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

This is good news.
When it comes to next February I'll be spending the £250 to get a quote. Obviously I'm expecting the build charge to be (very?) expensive, but I'd rather that as a one off cost rather than expensive monthly charges.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Sat 04-Nov-17 17:12:15
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

BT Retail cannot sell it because BT Wholesale don't offer it at the moment.

There was some dialogue between BT Wholesale and ISPs, but little interest was shown so they've not added those speeds at the moment.

I think a fair bit of work needs to be done to support those speeds (hardware/back end) at BT Wholesale's level, so there is probably no business case if there's not widespread ISP support.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 04-Nov-17 17:17:36
Print Post

Simple answer

Voucher schemes will sometimes only pay for install/upfront costs, so when this was spread over the term firms/people could not make best use of vouchers.

It cannot have escaped peoples notice that ultrafast or Gigabit vouchers are something that Government wants to hand out money for.

CityFibre et al are in a good position and this is Openreach making sure their position is similar.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Sun 05-Nov-17 16:36:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by AndyHCZ:
Essentially the new pricing will encourage ISPs to find multiple customers in the same area who want FTTPoD. Exactly how this will work with ISPs remains to be seen.

OK, thanks that make more sense now.

Call me a cynic but I can't see much demand for multiple FTTP connections as suggested. And what will happen if BT (say) order a PON? Will they have rights to it and if I'm with another ISP I'd have to move over.

Too many known unknowns here. Actually, unknown unknowns. Probably better to wait til next year than speculate.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Nov-17 18:56:38
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Woolwich:
In reply to a post by AndyHCZ:
Essentially the new pricing will encourage ISPs to find multiple customers in the same area who want FTTPoD. Exactly how this will work with ISPs remains to be seen.

OK, thanks that make more sense now.

Call me a cynic but I can't see much demand for multiple FTTP connections as suggested. And what will happen if BT (say) order a PON? Will they have rights to it and if I'm with another ISP I'd have to move over.

Too many known unknowns here. Actually, unknown unknowns. Probably better to wait til next year than speculate.

Anything Openreach build under this is open access. The demand is not expected to come from residential customers but ISPs ordering for all their customers in a PON at once.
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Thu 01-Nov-18 00:00:59
Print Post

Re: Done

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Someone remind me on 1st November 2018
You are reminded, as it is 1st November 2018.

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to