General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-May-18 00:05:49
Print Post

Re: Openreach FTTP ONT question 2

[re: fredfox] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by fredfox:
I've got a 4 port ONT, with BT on port 1 and Zen on port 2 smile

https://ibb.co/mmBHMT

Here's my original thread where I asked a similar question. It's been over a year and (touch wood) not had a single drop out (that I've noticed)
Excellent, thank you very much for that. I currently have Zen on port 1 and may need more bandwidth for multiple site-to-site VPNs. No hurry just yet as the remote sites currently only have ADSL and speeds of less than 11Mbps.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User candlerb
(regular) Sat 19-May-18 10:21:59
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
I just really wanted a Static IP so that I don't get caught out when the connection drops to reissue a new IP.

And that BT only provide Static IP's with their business connections, sadly their business connections have a gap in speeds between 80Mbps and the 10Gbps Leased Line, so there is no 330 product for business connections.

You could always switch to another provider. Examples:

Cerberus FTTP Pro will give you 330/50 and up to 8 static IPs. £62.50/month +VAT = £75.00/month.

Zen Unlimited Full Fibre 4 will also give you 330/50 with a static IP. £64.16/month +VAT = £76.99/month.

Strangely, Zen's business packages seem to go up to 300/20 only. You could query it with them. However if you're happy with a "home" service with static IP, it's not a problem.

Also check https://www.thinkbroadband.com/packages/fttp-broadband in case there are any more.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-May-18 14:51:10
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
I just really wanted a Static IP so that I don't get caught out when the connection drops to reissue a new IP.

And that BT only provide Static IP's with their business connections, sadly their business connections have a gap in speeds between 80Mbps and the 10Gbps Leased Line, so there is no 330 product for business connections.

You could always switch to another provider. Examples:

Cerberus FTTP Pro will give you 330/50 and up to 8 static IPs. £62.50/month +VAT = £75.00/month.

Zen Unlimited Full Fibre 4 will also give you 330/50 with a static IP. £64.16/month +VAT = £76.99/month.

Strangely, Zen's business packages seem to go up to 300/20 only. You could query it with them. However if you're happy with a "home" service with static IP, it's not a problem.

Also check https://www.thinkbroadband.com/packages/fttp-broadband in case there are any more.

Thanks for doing the checks.

I did look around when we became out of contract back in December, but they all were a lot more than what we are paying now and the price difference was too much to pay for just a Static IP.

Also adding another set of people into the loop makes things harder to get things resolved if there is an issue, where as being with BT you only have them to deal with and they have been rather quick as late.

TBH its a shame that you cannot just pay £5 to £8 per month for one, but its not the end of the world.

I will just keep making sure to close all files once I am finished with them for now.

Its a shame I cannot have BT reissue the IP every first day of each month, that would make things easier lol

Well we are in contract with BT for the next 18 Months, so I will look into this again then.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast 2 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)

Edited by PaulKirby (Sat 19-May-18 14:55:52)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(regular) Sat 19-May-18 21:00:45
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Also adding another set of people into the loop makes things harder to get things resolved if there is an issue

It shouldn't make a difference. The underlying fibre connectivity is provided by Openreach; but you deal directly with a service provider (which could be BT, Cerberus, Zen etc).

Openreach are obliged to treat all the service providers the same, and not give any special favours to BT.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to