General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Blmcg
(newbie) Mon 21-May-18 18:20:22
Print Post

Re: Openreach 1 Gig FTTP now 'available'

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
At least by insisting on XGPON from day1 OR will have some control over the potential issues and the customer requiring the higher service will be the ones to pay for it.

Install fee is banked by Openreach to fund the wavelength filter/optics/line card upgrade when they hit critical mass on a PON and need to do the upgrade, not as a task that actually occurs on day one.

Blair McGregor
Network Architect - Syscomm
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Mon 21-May-18 20:27:48
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I think you may perhaps be overestimating the bandwidth usage. I work for an international professional video operation that acquires and generates a lot of content over the internet and has lots of users in the building.

We have symmetric leased line connectivity and it's a lots less that 1Gbps...

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP | ER-Lite Router | Unifi AC-Lite Wifi AP
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 21-May-18 20:58:18
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

I am behind on this, openreach are planning to share 32 FTTP end users over a single 2.4gbit link? Also sharing with the FTTC 2.4gbit link as well?

Given VMs capacity issues I am not sure they are an example to be considered a success, sweden has congestion issues on their FTTP services but I have no idea how they share out their capacity.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(regular) Mon 21-May-18 21:37:43
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
I am behind on this, openreach are planning to share 32 FTTP end users over a single 2.4gbit link?

Yes. (2.4Gbps down, 1.2Gbps up).

This is plenty: some users on the PON may have a 330M service, but not all users are active at the same time.

Also sharing with the FTTC 2.4gbit link as well?

I'm pretty sure that each PON (with up to 32 subscribers) has its own dedicated fibre uplink, and that FTTC is completely independent of FTTP.
Standard User Blmcg
(newbie) Mon 21-May-18 21:48:35
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
I am behind on this, openreach are planning to share 32 FTTP end users over a single 2.4gbit link?

Yes. (2.4Gbps down, 1.2Gbps up).

This is plenty: some users on the PON may have a 330M service, but not all users are active at the same time.

Also sharing with the FTTC 2.4gbit link as well?

I'm pretty sure that each PON (with up to 32 subscribers) has its own dedicated fibre uplink, and that FTTC is completely independent of FTTP.

The PON may terminate on the same L2Switch in the exchange as FTTC / G.Fast DSLAM backhaul, but they are all on discrete optics with their own fibres, therefore GPON optic connects to the PON only, though will share a common fibre bundle to the NGA distribution node where it fans out .
Contention is therefore limited to the PoN for that specific optic and the CP's cablelink to the L2Switch.

Blair McGregor
Standard User Blmcg
(newbie) Mon 21-May-18 21:57:02
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I am behind on this, openreach are planning to share 32 FTTP end users over a single 2.4gbit link? Also sharing with the FTTC 2.4gbit link as well?

Given VMs capacity issues I am not sure they are an example to be considered a success, sweden has congestion issues on their FTTP services but I have no idea how they share out their capacity.

NGA does not provide for an uncontested service beyond a certain rate.
Openreach provide "minimum" prioritised rates based on the ordered service rate which allow for contention withiut qualifying as a fault.
For example, 330Mb is guaranteed 110Mb only (the CP/SP may contend further and often don't back this guarantee themselves, given this is usually packaged as a DSL, contended product.
These prioritised rates are the basis of EoFTTC/EoFTTP offerings, which tend to mirror the leased line model and guarentee throughput.

Search for BT SIN 506 for the rates table.

Blair McGregor
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-May-18 01:26:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Likely most of the tests are wireless. Even with everyone on a gigabit 32 customers on 2.4Gb isn't likely to be a major problem.

Think about how rapidly users will get whatever they want to done at 115MB/s. The traffic is more spiky than lower bandwidth services but the spikes are shorter in duration.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-May-18 01:32:05
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Business usage is nowhere near as heavy as you might think.

My company HQ has 100Mb for all remote VPN users and the 100 or so office based people and it's more than adequate, this without a really strict content or application filtering system preventing home from work usage.

It's not even a full 100Mb, it's 50 with 100 burstable.
Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Tue 22-May-18 08:11:56
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

I'm on an ECI cab, and all I can say is that I am glad that Southwark Council have signed a deal with Hyperoptic - looking forward to ditching my BT supplied line and getting 1Gb symmetrical FTTP within the next 6-9 months.

Bob WRBRIX
PN Unl.Extra Fibre - TP-Link VR2600
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway to CIX, ADSL to Nildram, SKY & Be*Unlimited, Fibre to BT http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/049baa48c1f...
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-May-18 22:55:15
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

I agree, I know of a London coworking space with close to 1000 very tech heavy people in the building and it sustains about 200mbit/sec, spiking to 500mbit occassionally. They have a 1gig link.

Not sure why BT are going for XGPON for this apart from to stop people buying it.

How does XGPON work exactly? Is it another wavelength separate to the GPON one that run side by side?
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to