General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tdw42
(regular) Wed 23-May-18 00:10:03
Print Post

Re: Openreach 1 Gig FTTP now 'available'

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

Yes. GPON (G.984) uses 1490nm downstream and 1310 nm upstream, XGPON (G.987) uses 1577nm downstream and 1270nm upstream.
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Thu 24-May-18 21:43:51
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I checked mine, unfortunately, no 1gig for me frown

Cerberus FTTPoD
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-May-19 09:22:23
Print Post

Cerberus are now selling the half gig & 1 Gig services nationwide over BT Wholesale tails. They ain't cheap though! However I imagine the prices will gradually drop over time.

https://www.cerberusnetworks.co.uk/node/183#cerberus...

You'll probably need to place the order over the phone as their online checker still shows 330/50 as the max FTTP speed available for a particular property.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 01-May-19 09:23:28)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Limpopoha
(newbie) Wed 01-May-19 11:01:36
Print Post

Re: Openreach 1 Gig FTTP now 'available' *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 01-May-19 13:05:42
Print Post

Re: Openreach 1 Gig FTTP now 'available' *DELETED*

[re: Limpopoha] [link to this post]

Was a spammer so content delated

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chipmunk77
(newbie) Wed 01-May-19 23:00:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Cerberus are now selling the half gig & 1 Gig services nationwide over BT Wholesale tails. They ain't cheap though! However I imagine the prices will gradually drop over time.

£259/month, ouch. Yeah, not tempted at that - I'd probably overpay just for the hell of it, but not that much.

Like you say, it'll probably drop over time. With 1gig via altnets/Vodafone, and virgin doing 500mbit, BT will want to stay reasonably competitive.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Thu 02-May-19 08:14:10
Print Post

[re: Chipmunk77] [link to this post]

From a customer point of view: £156/month for 500/165 compares very badly with £62.50/month for 330/50. OTOH, Virgin have *nothing* to compare with 165M upload speed apart from full leased lines (even their new top tier is only 35M upload), so there's not really any competition.

However, in the OR FTTP pricelist, the rental difference between 500/165 and 330/50 is only £204 per *year* (£17 per month)

I realise Cerberus are amortizing the £500 Openreach setup fee, but I would rather pay it once up-front rather than pay it over and over again. Say: £500 setup plus £99 per month. That's still a £36.50 premium over 330/50, of which £17 goes to OR and £19.50 goes to Cerberus. At that point, maybe it would be interesting.
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Thu 02-May-19 10:45:11
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Yeah I agree, I won't pay for a package which incorporates the setup fee into the monthly cost and likely to be ongoing even beyond the contract's term. I'd rather have the option of paying the setup fee upfront than potentially paying the setup fee again and again depending how long I stayed on that plan or with the ISP. I've got roughly 11 months to wait anyway before I can consider an upgrade as I'm on a 12 month FTTPoD term, so I can wait. Hopefully by then a more reasonable deal will be available for 500Mbps or 1Gbps (e.g. option to pay for setup fee upfront). To be honest though, I'd probably go for the 500Mbps option since the upload speed is more important to me and 165Mbps is plenty enough.

Edited by Ixel (Thu 02-May-19 10:47:17)

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-May-19 11:52:35
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
However, in the OR FTTP pricelist, the rental difference between 500/165 and 330/50 is only £204 per *year* (£17 per month)

I'd check the BT Wholesale price list and remember how ISPs pay BT Wholesale for bandwidth on top.

----
Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-May-19 11:59:20
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Am sure they are working on assumption that those ordering the 500 and Gig service are not going to be just 10GB per month data users.

The question should be how much cheaper than a leased line with Gigabit burst is it?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to