General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TechServ
(learned) Thu 02-May-19 18:45:39
Print Post

Re: Openreach 1 Gig FTTP now 'available'

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

When compared to other business packages from say Gigaclear or Hyperoptic these prices look pretty similar especially when you delve down to the SLA.

You canít compare it to Vodafone Gigafast pricing as that isnít available to businesses at all. Plus stop and think how many users are shared on Vodafone / CityFibre PON to keep the consumer price that low?

The CP also has a fair number of costs to allow both in backhaul and in Cablelinks Cross Connects which all need to be sized proportionally.
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Fri 03-May-19 11:37:11
Print Post

[re: tdw42] [link to this post]

Which moron in the ITU allowed 1577nm downstream. Using a none standard CWDM (Coarse Wavelength Division Multiplexing) wavelength is complete and utter stupidity.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 03-May-19 16:33:38
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
Which moron in the ITU allowed 1577nm downstream. Using a none standard CWDM (Coarse Wavelength Division Multiplexing) wavelength is complete and utter stupidity.

It's only 6nm wide. It's not a problem.

----
Building better networks, not just faster ones.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User F00tS0re
(regular) Sat 04-May-19 01:06:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by candlerb:
From a customer point of view: £156/month for 500/165 compares very badly with £62.50/month for 330/50. OTOH, Virgin have *nothing* to compare with 165M upload speed apart from full leased lines (even their new top tier is only 35M upload), so there's not really any competition.

However, in the OR FTTP pricelist, the rental difference between 500/165 and 330/50 is only £204 per *year* (£17 per month)

I realise Cerberus are amortizing the £500 Openreach setup fee, but I would rather pay it once up-front rather than pay it over and over again. Say: £500 setup plus £99 per month. That's still a £36.50 premium over 330/50, of which £17 goes to OR and £19.50 goes to Cerberus. At that point, maybe it would be interesting.

I just saw these prices and thought exact same thing. Once FTTPoD 1-year contract is done isn't it £45.00+VAT for 330/50Mpbps, 2*330/50Mbps would be £90 (I have a four port ONT) compared to 1*500/165Mbps @ £165+VAT. Few need a single pipe of that bandwidth, certainly for me (holiday cottages) it would be multiple users (up to 40).

4*330/50Mbps would only be £180+VAT and top out a net 1.32Gbps/200Mbps service.

Note comments on bandwidth usage for work but I use a heck of a lot less data at work than my kids do streaming. We could easily have 20 streams (music or video) just to keep the kids entertained while they eat their frosties at this rate.

Would definitely have to upgrade the router from USG-4-Pro to the XG or something from PFSense (and lose the nice shiny dashboard). Plus upgrade main switch at least. I think I will sit and look on enviously for the time being.
Standard User Agb_ldn
(newbie) Sat 04-May-19 07:13:26
Print Post

[re: F00tS0re] [link to this post]

How do I ascertain which market (a or b) my line is on. When I look at wholesale checker the exchange isnít indicated. It does however say 1000/220 is supported
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 04-May-19 08:56:44
Print Post

[re: Agb_ldn] [link to this post]

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/availability enter postcode and click through to the specifics for the postcode and we list the Ofcom Market for the exchange

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Sat 04-May-19 09:32:40
Print Post

[re: F00tS0re] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by F00tS0re:
I just saw these prices and thought exact same thing. Once FTTPoD 1-year contract is done isn't it £45.00+VAT for 330/50Mpbps

I think you got that price from the Cerberus page, but you didn't read the ** small print: the price is discounted to £45 for the first three months only, after which it goes up to £62.50.

So a pair of 330/50 would be £125/month, which is not too far off the 500/165 price, and still doesn't match the upload speed.
Standard User Agb_ldn
(newbie) Sat 04-May-19 11:12:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you for sharing the link. Interestingly, the closest exchange doesnít show as supporting FTTP or FTTPoD. Another exchange (just 150m) further away does support both. I actually live on a small new build estate surrounded by older dwellings. Having just checked my neighbours address (older dwelling) it indicates heís connected to the closest exchange, ie the one that doesnít support FTTP. Same goes for all other nearby addresses that arenít part of the estate. For info, theyíre all able to get FTTC services. The street is also has VM coax. Is it possible Openreach ran fibre from the exchange further away for the new houses? Either way, I guess it doesnít matter as both exchanges are market B.

Final question - I notice in the Cerberus T&Cs for the market B price that I must also have a PSTN line installed to qualify for the cheaper service. Neither my house nor any of the new houses here have any copper. Just the ONT Openreach installed before the properties were sold. Do you think I still qualify for the cheaper pricing? If so, Iím going to go ahead and order the 1000/220 service. Iím sure people think Iím mad, but there are reasons which I wonít go in to!

Thanks!
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-May-19 11:31:56
Print Post

[re: Agb_ldn] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Agb_ldn:
I notice in the Cerberus T&Cs for the market B price that I must also have a PSTN line installed to qualify for the cheaper service. Neither my house nor any of the new houses here have any copper. Just the ONT Openreach installed before the properties were sold. Do you think I still qualify for the cheaper pricing? If so, Iím going to go ahead and order the 1000/220 service. Iím sure people think Iím mad, but there are reasons which I wonít go in to!

If you already have a BT voice service over fibre (called FVA) then you wouldn't pay that £9 p/m. However if you didn't, it would be cheaper to pay an extra £9 p/m to Cerberus than to take out a new FVA serrvice with BT Retail costing £15+ p/m. An extra 9 quid a month isn't a huge amount when you're willing to pay nearly £300 a month....

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-May-19 12:42:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by candlerb:
So a pair of 330/50 would be £125/month, which is not too far off the 500/165 price, and still doesn't match the upload speed.

I am mostly interested in the upload, our download of ~307Mbps is fine for our needs here (at the moment), but I have on many occasions capped out the upload by using multiple threads when uploading, so if I / we were able to complete those uploads faster that would be great.

But we will see over time what happens to the pricing or even if BT sell those speeds, I know BT do have plans to do so, but no current timescale when, so I have been told, so maybe they are just seeing how many people become interested in those speeds.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest (Single Threaded) | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to