General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User F00tS0re
(regular) Sat 04-May-19 15:13:33
Print Post

Re: Openreach 1 Gig FTTP now 'available'

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Yup, missed the small print! Which changes the numbers around a bit. And as per Paulís post everyoneís requirements differ. Mostly guests streaming stuff for me rather than uploads.

Looked at router last night around midnight and we pulling 40% of 330 for a consistent period. Thatís 120Mbps what were they doing!

Edited by F00tS0re (Sat 04-May-19 15:14:34)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 04-May-19 17:22:12
Print Post

[re: Agb_ldn] [link to this post]

If this is a new build fibre only then some of the older ones are not linked to the right exchange in my database

Some Fibre Only new build is connected to the exchange many kilometres away, so if that is the case probably got you all correct. Given the comments on checker not saying FTTP on the closest exchange then looks like probably everything is correct.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Aug-19 22:40:39
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Just noticed Trunk Networks have joined Cerberus in selling the 0.5 & 1 Gig services over BT Wholesale tails. Priced at a bargain £234 & £450 /m respectively (inc vat). If that wasn't enough there's a £700+ one-off install charge as well, which I presume is the fee Openreach bank to fund upgrades.

https://postimg.cc/Pv46Jmqx

Will be interesting to see how much the newer (revised?) 550/75 & 1000/115 services are priced at, though the upload speeds have been halved - at present they are 500/165 & 1000/220.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8477-openreach-p...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 03-Aug-19 08:41:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Just noticed Trunk Networks have joined Cerberus in selling the 0.5 & 1 Gig services over BT Wholesale tails. Priced at a bargain £234 & £450 /m respectively (inc vat). If that wasn't enough there's a £700+ one-off install charge as well, which I presume is the fee Openreach bank to fund upgrades.

Ouch, why are they charging so much, BTOR are charging a connection fee of £500 then for the 500/165 its £660 per year (i.e. £55 pm) and for the 1000/220 its £960 per year (i.e. £80 pm) so not sure why the high price.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest (Single Threaded) | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
(knowledge is power) Sat 03-Aug-19 09:09:18
Print Post

A large chunk of the costs will be down to the bandwidth costs from BT Wholesale and the smaller ISPs tend to pay more, d/t economies of scale & all that.

I've no doubt BT Retail will start selling these speeds one day (probaby quite a while yet), but by that time, Wholesale costs will have fallen which means they can offer consumer friendly pricing on these. But at least we know these speeds are out in the wild now.

Linksys EA9500v2
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 03-Aug-19 11:29:22
Print Post

What router is supplied?

Some providers front load those costs, and others spread it over the months of the contract

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(knowledge is power) Sat 03-Aug-19 12:13:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

They supply a 'free' router (no idea on make & model) with the service so they might be adding the cost of that to the one-off fee. But they're not a cheap ISP anyway, for example their 330/50 FTTP tier is £108 /m, though like with most niche ISPs you do get a higher quality of service.

Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Aug-19 05:25:07
Print Post

A large chunk of the costs will be down to the bandwidth costs from BT Wholesale and the smaller ISPs tend to pay more, d/t economies of scale & all that.

I would of thought the monthly charges would pay for the bandwidth, due to the price BTOR say for 330/50 is a little bit more than we are paying and that's with the phone line cost taken off.

I've no doubt BT Retail will start selling these speeds one day (probaby quite a while yet), but by that time, Wholesale costs will have fallen which means they can offer consumer friendly pricing on these. But at least we know these speeds are out in the wild now.

Yeah, I did speak to BT when these new speeds become visible, they was shocked I knew the speeds and cost for them at the time, but they did say that they would be selling those products at some point, but are just waiting for more areas to be upgraded and also for more interest before doing so.

TBH I would be happy with 330/100, basically the download is fine, but wouldn't mind more upload speed.

But yeah we will see what happens.

Paul

TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest (Single Threaded) | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Aug-19 05:36:25
Print Post

They supply a 'free' router (no idea on make & model) with the service so they might be adding the cost of that to the one-off fee. But they're not a cheap ISP anyway, for example their 330/50 FTTP tier is £108 /m, though like with most niche ISPs you do get a higher quality of service.

Well it would have to be some good router with Gold Chrome on it tongue

But that monthly charge is a lot, see people say BT have bad customer services, but I have never had any bad issues with BT since we were put on FTTP, whenever we have had any issues, it was either resolved while on the phone (UK based staff) or within an hour or two after it was reported.

The only issue I have with BT is that sometimes you are in a queue for a while like one time I was waiting for 48 mins before I even spoke to somebody, but there has been loads of times when its been less than 60 seconds.

Paul

Standard User brookheather
(member) Sun 04-Aug-19 14:34:25
Print Post

I'm currently in Spain and the house I'm staying in has FTTP - last year it was on 80/20 with a fairly basic combined ONT/wireless router - this year the owners have upgraded to 500/500 and there is a nice new Huawei HG8247U combined ONT/wireless router. I just did a quick speed test and got just over 500 downstream and upstream. I checked the Avatel website and it seems this package is only 35 euros a month - bargain!

https://www.avatel.es/en/Comunidades/Fibra

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to