General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 12-Aug-19 14:24:15
Print Post

Re: Openreach 1 Gig FTTP now 'available'

[re: Mendip] [link to this post]

According to what everyone has said so far (although I don't know if anyone has actually seen a live installation of 1000/220), 1000/220 is delivered over regular ONT, with a future possibility of upgrade to XGPON.

If that's true, I'd expect you'd get this as another service on your existing ONT, using the spare port.

At some point in the future, they may choose to move the 1000/220 service onto an XGPON ONT. While in principle this could share the same fibre, the additional losses of another inline splitter may not be acceptable, and I'd guess they're more likely to run a separate fibre drop.

I do know that Talktalk and Vodafone/Cityfibre run 1000/1000 on a regular GPON ONT.
Standard User Mendip
(learned) Mon 12-Aug-19 15:04:48
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Thank you Candlerb - much appreciated.

So if I understand you correctly, a straightforward procedure at the moment with ISPs using WBC FTTP 1000/220, because 'currently' they are using GPON ONT (and XGPON at the other end) and not an XGPON ONT, but that could change in the future.

Thus currently, 330/50 and 1000/220 could coexist using the same drop wire and ONT without modification on a four port ONT. Do I understand what you have said correctly?

Many, many thanks.

Mendip.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Aug-19 15:08:02
Print Post

Whether you have blown fibre to the CSP or a connectorised install, each fibre strand supports at least 4 FTTP services so you should be ok. As candlerb says the 1 Gig service should run off the same 4 port ONT you have already. Obviously for additional FTTP service(s) you will need to order a ‘new’ service rather than a ‘migration’.

Btw in case you’re not aware, Openreach have (or will do) release new/revised half gig and 1gig FTTP tiers. They should be cheaper but with reduced upload speeds (halved). So if upload isn’t important, perhaps worth waiting for a while for the new speeds to appear in the wild. Sky will start selling Openreach FTTP in Q4 of this year and if they decide to sell the higher tiers, they will almost certainly sell these new tiers.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8477-openreach-p...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 12-Aug-19 15:32:17)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Mendip
(learned) Mon 12-Aug-19 15:24:15
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thank you Baby_Frogmella - very much appreciated.

All clear now. Will evaluate, and if I go ahead, I will report back.

Once again, many thanks to you both for super fast and knowledgeable responses.

Mendip.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 12-Aug-19 15:38:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by Mendip:
So if I understand you correctly, a straightforward procedure at the moment with ISPs using WBC FTTP 1000/220, because 'currently' they are using GPON ONT (and XGPON at the other end)

Not exactly. GPON and XGPON run side-by-side on different wavelengths, like ships that pass in the night. So if the service is GPON at your end, it's GPON at the headend as well.

If and when they upgrade to XGPON, they can multiplex GPON and XGPON equipment onto the same fibre at the headend. Then they can move individual users over to XGPON ONTs, without affecting the remaining users still on GPON.
Standard User Mendip
(learned) Mon 12-Aug-19 15:48:31
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Thank you once again candlerb.

Sorry for my misunderstanding, I am just trying to get my head around what actually will be done at each end of the fibre.

I assumed the install cost was for XGPON at the Network end, but then wondered whether that would work with the existing GPON? four port ONT. I am guessing that will work, is that correct?

Or I guess what I am asking is, what is the £500 install cost for, and what if anything will happen at my premises? I understand from what you have said, as not a lot, and all the magic happens at the other end (exchange?), correct?

Thank you so much in advance for your time explaining this.

Mendip.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 12-Aug-19 16:08:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by Mendip:
Or I guess what I am asking is, what is the £500 install cost for

What people here are saying is, the money is banked by OpenReach and set aside to pay for a possible future upgrade to XGPON, if and when it's required.

However, as this is a relatively new product (*), the practical details will be wait-and-see. If you order it, please let us know what happens smile

(*) Technically it's been available from Openreach for a while, but there haven't been any ISPs selling it until recently.
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Mon 12-Aug-19 17:55:29
Print Post

Hi

Just to add that GPON is restricted to ~2.5Gbps download and 1.5Gbps upstream, and that is shared amongst everyone else connected to the same fibre. So at the fibre in your home, you are actually receiving everyone's data, like a broadcast, and the ONT only listens/de-crypts data destined for you. Each broadcast at 2.5Gbps down and 1.5 up might be shared between a dozen or more properties, I think the maximum is 32 way split on BT.

So because you see everyone's data on your fibre, adding additional services doesn't need another fibre as it will just arrive as part of the ‘broadcast’, and the ONT just needs to be set up to listen to and decrypt another customer connection, which just happens to be in the same ONT in the same property.

The problem of course is if you take a 1Gbps service, then in theory if you saturate your connection and use all that bandwidth, it only leaves 1.5Gbps between the remaining customers. Take another 1Gbps service (or someone else does) and you are only leaving 0.5Gbps between the other users on your fibre. So you could significantly impact on every one else, although in reality its fairly hard to saturate a 1Gbps download bandwidth for any length of time, there is a risk of course.

So the extra amount up front does a couple of things, makes it less likely people would upgrade, and if they do, the money is banked should later on you need to be shifted off GPON to XGPON, so giving back the capacity you had taken on the GPON version to everyone else. As both work together over the same fibre, you would just need a new ONT your end, and Openreach splice in the XGPON kit into the same fibre at their end. XGPON provides 10Gbps download bandwidth, so if that was enabled then the fibre is carrying 2.5Gpbs on GPON and 10Gbps over XGPON.

Regards

Phil
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Aug-19 02:11:34
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Cerberus are now selling the half gig & 1 Gig services nationwide over BT Wholesale tails. They ain't cheap though! However I imagine the prices will gradually drop over time.

https://www.cerberusnetworks.co.uk/node/183#cerberus...

You'll probably need to place the order over the phone as their online checker still shows 330/50 as the max FTTP speed available for a particular property.

What a stupid £259 per month (Vodafone 900Mbps down and up for only £48 per month) how on earth openreach and bt wholesale think it still reasonably competitive?
Standard User Chipmunk77
(newbie) Tue 13-Aug-19 15:10:06
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
What a stupid £259 per month (Vodafone 900Mbps down and up for only £48 per month) how on earth openreach and bt wholesale think it still reasonably competitive?

Vodafone only serve a few tens of thousands, so it's not really competition at all.

BT's real competition is Virgin. As they deliver 500 then 1000, BT will be forced to do likewise.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Chipmunk77 (Tue 13-Aug-19 21:36:08)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to