General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Jul-18 09:08:42
Print Post

Re: G.Fast rollout in announced locations

[re: xMaShx] [link to this post]

Can you see the cab from your front window ? wink

Standard User Nightglow
(member) Thu 05-Jul-18 10:01:13
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I'm in a trial area, G Fast pod installed last year, still not active.
But, on Roadworks.org, some signs of progress, final connections to cabinet were due 2nd July, & 27th-29th new fibre cables being laid along High Street.

Just had a look a Roadworks.org & both listings have now dissappeared.frown

Edited by Nightglow (Thu 05-Jul-18 10:11:29)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Jul-18 10:10:22
Print Post

[re: xMaShx] [link to this post]

Around 10 pods should appear in our checker later today

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Jul-18 10:21:29
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
I think it's totally the wrong tech and they should have ripped up the ECI cabinets, replaced them with Huawei and rolled out VDSL2 Profile 35b.

Isle of Man using this perfectly.
Just seen a VDSL2 Profile 17a (as used by OpenReach in UK) with working vectoring get upgraded at the flick of a switch to profile 35b with working vectoring.

Well, the flick of a switch and swapping out every line card. To get vectoring working to begin with requiring an additional card as well.

The Isle of Man has a population of less than 83,000 and considerably less than 60,000 fixed lines so a very different scale carrying out this task there relative to Openreach replacing 6 figures line cards, replacing 5 figures cabinets and installing 5 figures vectoring engines. Don't believe it has the same wholesale market that BT contends with either.

I find G.fast bemusing but then I'm very much over copper now unless with shortened loops.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Jul-18 10:23:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Brain may be too hot, but I thought some of the 35b benefits also needed ADSL/ADSL2+ turning off and with at least one MPF provider still planning to offer MPF from 2025 onwards it seems market not ready for that switch off en-masse

It will perform no better on lines too long to max out vectored 17a. Laws of physics and all that. Using the ADSL spectrum improves both.
Standard User ansam
(member) Thu 05-Jul-18 10:35:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:

Funny you should ask because I can. I have been in contact with OR "Infrastructure Solutions Customer Service" who has ben liaising with the "delivery manager" which I assume is for this area but they don't seem to have a date or an estimate between them lol

My contract with BT is coming to an end. Not sure if I should hold off and wait to see if G.Fast gets activated or just move on an get it later (when possible) as I am not sure how long the roll out and activation is going to take. There where quite a few OR visits to the cabinets the last few weeks but that seems to have stopped now.

Connection - BT Infinity 2.
My Broadband Ping
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Jul-18 10:47:13
Print Post

[re: ansam] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ansam:

Funny you should ask because I can. I have been in contact with OR "Infrastructure Solutions Customer Service" who has ben liaising with the "delivery manager" which I assume is for this area but they don't seem to have a date or an estimate between them lol

My contract with BT is coming to an end. Not sure if I should hold off and wait to see if G.Fast gets activated or just move on an get it later (when possible) as I am not sure how long the roll out and activation is going to take. There where quite a few OR visits to the cabinets the last few weeks but that seems to have stopped now.

Activation of the pods seems to be quite fast now, (only taking brockenhurst roll out into account). You'd only need a new modem as its still dsl based..

I guess the question is - how long do you want to wait and if your existing provider sells g.fast products ..
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Jul-18 11:03:12
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

You'd only need a new modem as its still dsl based..

I 'believe' it's all engineer installed at present,*

Openreach would seem to want to ensure that those precious few who do take the product don't besmirch its name by naffing up a self install. (as these boards show, this still happens all the time, even with ADSL/VDSL)

*as happened with ADSL and VDSL to start with.

Standard User Nightglow
(member) Thu 05-Jul-18 11:12:13
Print Post

[re: ansam] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ansam:

My contract with BT is coming to an end. Not sure if I should hold off and wait to see if G.Fast gets activated or just move on an get it later (when possible) as I am not sure how long the roll out and activation is going to take.

I'm in the same position, as whether stay or jump to another ISP, but where to I don't know.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Jul-18 13:19:58
Print Post

Ha, true. I had forum blindness and didn't see the OP was with BT (who have g.fast products)
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to