General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Jul-18 14:47:05
Print Post

Re: G.Fast rollout in announced locations

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
In reply to a post by AndyPandy:
The pods appear very quickly around the areas in my experience, but don't get too excited if you don't live within a stone's throw of it.

My cab is enabled, but only properties within 100m as the crow flies can get it. Not the 300m that's often thrown around.

It would be 300m of copper line. The length of the copper loop can be much longer than the radial distance (as the crow flies).

Yeah, I know. Zen tested the line and apparently it's about 500m, which is crazy, as it's 200m further than following the cables back (unless they route off somewhere other than the poles and manholes back to the cab (it's a straight road))..

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2
Fritz!Box 3390
Standard User ansam
(member) Sat 07-Jul-18 08:28:40
Print Post

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

Be aware the line test is the range (estimated) from the exchange not the cabinet. At least that is what both BT and OR told me.

Connection - BT Infinity 2.
My Broadband Ping
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Jul-18 08:54:17
Print Post

[re: ansam] [link to this post]

That can't be right, as I'm many km's from the exchange.

Look at these impressive ADSL figures!

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 1 -- 1 to 3.5 Available -- --
ADSL Max Up to 1 -- 0.75 to 2.5 Available -- --

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2
Fritz!Box 3390

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ansam
(member) Sat 07-Jul-18 09:01:44
Print Post

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

Maybe yours is right as I had to query the number they gave me 1520m is what they said but I can see the cabinet from my window and I am getting around 71mbps on my line.

When I queried is they said that the line test only shows m from the exchange and even that is estimate.

I am about 973m straight line distance from the exchange.

My Broadband Ping
Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Sat 07-Jul-18 10:16:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by ansam:
Maybe yours is right as I had to query the number they gave me 1520m is what they said but I can see the cabinet from my window and I am getting around 71mbps on my line.

When I queried is they said that the line test only shows m from the exchange and even that is estimate.

If you had a line test done because of a fault or query then they may do a full line test which would take into account the distance from the exchange. This of course does not effect the distance used when the calculations are made in regards to either G.Fast or FTTC
Standard User TheInstaller
(newbie) Sat 07-Jul-18 10:19:00
Print Post

If you are on FTTC then the distance to the exchange is meaning less, as the only distance you are interested in, is the distance from the pole you are connected to (DP) to the cabinet (PCP).

The distance from the PCP to exchange is irrelevant while on FTTC or G.fast. Yes you might have been given a line length of 1500 odd meters, but you've not told us what length this is for. I would expect this is for the distance from the exchange to DP, so again irrelevant for G.fast too.
Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Sat 07-Jul-18 11:57:27
Print Post

[re: TheInstaller] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheInstaller:
If you are on FTTC then the distance to the exchange is meaning less, as the only distance you are interested in, is the distance from the pole you are connected to (DP) to the cabinet (PCP).

The distance from the PCP to exchange is irrelevant while on FTTC or G.fast. Yes you might have been given a line length of 1500 odd meters, but you've not told us what length this is for. I would expect this is for the distance from the exchange to DP, so again irrelevant for G.fast too.

It only becomes irrelevant once FTTC and G.fast are available without having a normal voice pots line.
Standard User ansam
(member) Sat 07-Jul-18 12:18:32
Print Post

[re: TheInstaller] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheInstaller:

It looks like it was from the exchange to the DP.

"Our records show the line length to your nearest Distribution Point (usually a cabinet, underground junction box or cabinet) is 1513m"

So as I Said need to watch out what line length they are actually talking about when you ask. BT Said they couldn't give the length between the cabinet and my line as that is not information they have access to.

My Broadband Ping
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Sat 07-Jul-18 12:19:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by ansam:

There are different types of line test.
Some tests will check the entire line from the exchange (pstn tests) but the GEA service tests indicate line length from the cabinet.

G.Fast and FTTC estimates are based on the distance to the cabinet.
Standard User derekdel
(committed) Mon 09-Jul-18 22:20:27
Print Post

[re: ionic] [link to this post]

Well I am on a line about 780m -ish from the cabinet and its ECI so double whammy for moi.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to