General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Aug-18 17:45:24
Print Post

Re: Find DP Number via Openreach checker

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Answering my own question here, it seems the JSON output does indeed only output the copper line DP ID, not the FTTP DP ID. This was checked by searching for a FTTP only address at IV2 6ED and this churned out dp":""

Still very useful though!

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User 512uk
(learned) Thu 09-Aug-18 18:25:40
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

That's interesting.

I suppose this is most relevant when FTTP hasn't been served by the same pole as copper. In a rural location I'm sure ducting is quite rare; virtually all the houses around by me are all served FTTP via DP telegraph pole.

In one of the examples, the numbered D-pole (which matched the checker) was probably about 300m away from the properties. It was the same pole also carrying fibre overhead with a splitter, from my other thread.

100Mbps Ethernet Leased Line (work)

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by 512uk (Thu 09-Aug-18 18:25:56)

Standard User B31
(member) Thu 09-Aug-18 22:24:58
Print Post

[re: 512uk] [link to this post]

Got it.

It gives me a 4 digit DP number, which is different to my telephone cabinet.

It's not a number I've seen before.

I've got a cabinet reference (7 letters long) and a port number (1 digit), both from the tag on the fibre reel. The tag also contained the light level test result (geeky bonus!)

BT FTTP - Superfast Fibre 3 Unlimited. 205 Mbps down / 24 Mbps up.

New build estate that wasnt given anything Id call broadband. First four years 1.6 Mbps ADSL. Following two years, and after many openreach visits, 4.3 Mbps!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User olicuk
(regular) Fri 10-Aug-18 04:11:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by 512uk:
The API itself checks the request is from OR. I've tried setting the Referer header, as I'd like to make my own checker, but no joy on that.

Have managed to script it with Python... it does all sorts of horrible things to try and stop you doing so though, like providing tokens that need to form part of the AJAX call in dynamic JavaScript files loaded into an iframe in the main page... so these need to be extracted. Then the address format for the second stage is in HTML not JSON so needs to be extracted with BeautifulSoup.

Got some interesting data out about my road and see that basically every pavement chamber contains a DP (I had wondered if some were DPs and some just junction boxes, but it seems not)... looks a waste and ideological as most serve only 3 or 4 properties and the ducts are basically empty. And if they insist on replicating that for FTTP, I'm sure will make it far more costly than it would need to be.

---------
fibre.everestpark.org.uk | Zen VDSL2 80:20 (~64:20) bqm | Draytek 2860 + Ubiquiti AP + SureSignal + EE Signal Box + Netgear NAS
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Aug-18 04:11:46
Print Post

Yeah, I even got around to writing my own app to do the lookups, that was when BTWholesale was blocking my IP when I was doing like 50K lookups a day lol

Was then told by BT to stop, so I started work on the Where and when Page lol

This was from a version that was about two or so years old which I uploaded to YouTube to show its easy to get the info.
Openreach Checker Application Concept

I did start to do a newer better looking one, but didn't see the point due to the original one was mostly the concept of it working.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast 2 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Aug-18 04:14:10
Print Post

[re: olicuk] [link to this post]

Yeah that token stopped me for like 1 day lol

My App even told me the error the Where and when page was not displaying on the page and when I reported it to BTOR via Twitter they was like how are you even seeing that error lol

Paul

TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User olicuk
(regular) Fri 10-Aug-18 04:19:06
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Lol!

Just played with it this evening... well most of the night it seems!

---------
fibre.everestpark.org.uk | Zen VDSL2 80:20 (~64:20) bqm | Draytek 2860 + Ubiquiti AP + SureSignal + EE Signal Box + Netgear NAS
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Aug-18 04:35:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by olicuk:
Lol!

Just played with it this evening... well most of the night it seems!

Yeah I love Cryptology and Networking and enjoyed doing it smile

But yeah the Token part had me scratching my head at first, so I ended up searching all pages that got loaded and to also see what was sent and how it was being sent, then looked to where it was got from to then have it working app all the time.

Paul

Standard User candlerb
(member) Fri 10-Aug-18 08:20:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by olicuk:
Got some interesting data out about my road and see that basically every pavement chamber contains a DP (I had wondered if some were DPs and some just junction boxes, but it seems not)... looks a waste and ideological as most serve only 3 or 4 properties and the ducts are basically empty. And if they insist on replicating that for FTTP, I'm sure will make it far more costly than it would need to be.

It seems like they are.

In my initial desktop quote for FTTPoD, they said it would be 14 properties passed. I live at the end of a cul-de-sac, so that would be one or other side of the street.

But after survey they said it would be just me and two neighbours which would be passed for FTTP - and that's almost certainly just the properties served by the pavement chamber outside my house.

I won't know 100% for sure until the FTTPoD installation is completed though.
Standard User olicuk
(regular) Fri 10-Aug-18 18:10:52
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

It's got a bit more confusing now that I've gone through my PCP to see which DPs FTTP has recently been enabled on - there's actually 10 FTTP-enabled DPs in all (apart from those serving the business park), which does equate to something the engineer deploying the fibre said at the time.

Unfortunately I didn't see enough of it going into the ground (only in my road, where there is only one enabled DP!), so I don't know if the other "zones" which have it have had one fibre CBT to cover several copper DPs, or actually do have multiple adjacent CBTs, which seems most likely.

The whole residential deployment is strange (as it overlays good FTTC), now even more so with its randomness.

Here's the map!

---------
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to