General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ianm78
(newbie) Thu 27-Dec-18 18:23:14
Print Post

FTTP 1000/220 Exchanges

[link to this post]

I know itís a bit of a mute point as there are seemingly no nationwide isps selling the 1000/220 FTTP Product. Just curious as a some exchanges list the 1000 option where FTTP is available but there are also several that still have the 330/50 option as the top product. Will most FTTP exchanges eventually be enabled for the 1000 product or is this only likely to happen at larger / higher demand exchanges ?

Thanks
Standard User busterboy
(member) Thu 27-Dec-18 19:19:06
Print Post

Re: FTTP 1000/220 Exchanges

[re: ianm78] [link to this post]

I would like to know this answer too.

BTBroadband
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Dec-18 19:45:32
Print Post

Well I spoke to BT about this on the phone when it showed up on the wholesale checker, back in June - July this year.

BT response to the Ultrafast 3 [500Mbps (down), 165Mbps (up)] and Ultrafast 4 [1Gbps (down), 220Mbps (up)] speeds was that nothing was scheduled as yet but was surprised how I know about it LOL

They did say once "they" become available it will be listed on their site.

Sadly their site is all messed up for me at the moment to a point where it even says I cannot even get Ultrafast but can get "Superfast Fibre 4 Plus" yet I already have "Ultrafast 2 Plus" LOL

The last time things like this happened was when they were preparing site for new products, "not saying this will be the case this time" smile

TBH I am not really interested with the 500Mbps down or even the 1Gbps down, sure they would be great to have, but as a content creator and hardware / software developer, I am more interested in the up speeds, for us here 330(approx 306 to 312Mbps) is already fine for us.

But I assume the price difference will be a fair bit more, but time till tell.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast 2 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Dec-18 20:17:23
Print Post

As things stand itís FTTP lines with Huawei GPON hardware which show up as 1000/220 on the BT checker, the ECI based lines still show 330/50. Whether the ECI kit can be upgraded easily to support higher speeds Iíve no idea....

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Fri 28-Dec-18 02:56:31
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Sounds like you got a Muppet on the phone who likes to make things up.
There's nobody public facing that would be able to answer such questions.

The likelihood of BT Retail offering the higher tiers in the next couple years is zilch, nil, zero.
It's XG-PON, needs a new ONT, and comes with a hefty £500 + VAT install fee.

Just because OpenReach sell a product doesn't mean BT ever will.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Dec-18 04:51:34
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Sounds like you got a Muppet on the phone who likes to make things up.
There's nobody public facing that would be able to answer such questions.

The likelihood of BT Retail offering the higher tiers in the next couple years is zilch, nil, zero.
It's XG-PON, needs a new ONT, and comes with a hefty £500 + VAT install fee.

Just because OpenReach sell a product doesn't mean BT ever will.

Oh I totally agree with you.
This is probably why I see the following:
ONT exists with active service. A spare port is available. A new ONT may be ordered.

But I might be wrong, but that new ONT part popped up exactly when it said those new speeds were available.

Paul

TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Fri 28-Dec-18 05:01:00
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

A new ONT may be ordered.

Nah it's a generic message.
Also appears for FTTP connections where XG-PON higher speed packages aren't available.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Dec-18 05:44:32
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
A new ONT may be ordered.

Nah it's a generic message.
Also appears for FTTP connections where XG-PON higher speed packages aren't available.

Ah ok, wasn't too sure that's all.

Paul

Standard User Blmcg
(regular) Fri 28-Dec-18 16:28:21
Print Post

Lot of misinformation in this thread, hope the below clarifies.

The 500Mb & 1Gb FTTP products are available nationally on any FTTP provided on a Huawei head-end (As it can have 10Gb GEA cablelinks, whereas ECI cannot).

When you look at the BT Wholesale checker it will show you what BT Wholesale ISPs can provide via their network.
If you see only 330/50 then it is because either the FTTP is ECI backed, or more likely that Wholesale do not have a 10Gb GEA cablelinks in place to the L2S, or sufficient back-haul capacity to provide the service.

There are in fact ISPs (us included) that do and have been selling the 500Mb & 1Gb products for some time, limited to geography.
(If anyone is in the West/East Midlands and keen to consume this product, get in touch).

These are premium products so you shouldn't expect these to fall into the regular residential pricing tiers.
Indeed the £500 install from Openreach is used as a "reserve" put aside for the cost of the XG-PON upgrade when capacity on the existing PON exceeded. There is no (non-trial) installation of XG-PON in the network today.

Hope that clarifies.

Blair McGregor
Network Architect - Syscomm
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Dec-18 17:26:54
Print Post

[re: Blmcg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Blmcg:
The 500Mb & 1Gb FTTP products are available nationally on any FTTP provided on a Huawei head-end (As it can have 10Gb GEA cablelinks, whereas ECI cannot).

There are in fact ISPs (us included) that do and have been selling the 500Mb & 1Gb products for some time, limited to geography.
(If anyone is in the West/East Midlands and keen to consume this product, get in touch).

Apologies if I've misunderstood you but you appear to be contradicting yourself with the above? Surely if the BT/Openreach checker shows availability for 0.5 & 1 Gig FTTP services for a particular property then your ISP should be able to supply such a property irrespective of geographic location? Its the same with my ISP (FluidOne), they said they sell BTW/Openreach based 1 Gig FTTP services but said its not available for my property in the Highlands despite the Openreach checker saying otherwise:
https://i.postimg.cc/q7X3H2LQ/bt-checker.jpg

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to