General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Feb-19 19:19:03
Print Post

Re: Openreach contractor installed new cabinet

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Fair enough, I should probably have been more specific despite the context.

My comment was in response to rejecting upgrade of G.fast because it's not FTTP. By that token why not remain on ADSL given it's not FTTP? FTTP will arrive eventually.

----
Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User partial
(experienced) Mon 25-Feb-19 21:07:28
Print Post

GFast means no digging up my drive. I prefer that option.

Standard User F00tS0re
(regular) Tue 26-Feb-19 11:30:05
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by partial:
GFast means no digging up my drive. I prefer that option.

Do they need to dig under your drive? We recently had them mole under the end of our drive for some wayleave works. Openreach contractor knocked on our door to ask if OK if they got started, and as they were mole-ing no problem. A couple of hours later he had gone and no mess, no disruption, new duct now in place.

For our FFTPoD order we did all the trenching and duct laying on our land (150m) as it would be cheaper and tidier than openreach doing it.

Edit:
Pic of our ducting going in. Existing line was direct in ground. Turf was removed with a turf cutter prior to trenching.
http://i.imgur.com/WQaqak5.jpg

Edited by F00tS0re (Tue 26-Feb-19 12:14:50)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Feb-19 12:10:29
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by partial:
GFast means no digging up my drive.

Not always the case. I certainly didn't have my lawn or front drive dug up during my FTTPoD install. In fact nothing was dug up all the way to the aggregation node, ie Openreach used existing ducts to lay the fibre for my install. So, depending on how old and what method of u/g infrastructure exists in an area, Openreach may not need to do any digging for full fibre.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User dect
(member) Tue 26-Feb-19 12:32:34
Print Post

[re: F00tS0re] [link to this post]

Your pic was interesting, I assumed the 54mm BT ducting would be completely rigid and straight just like the 110mm drainage ducting is but from the pic it looks somewhat flexible. Is that your experience?
Standard User F00tS0re
(regular) Tue 26-Feb-19 13:04:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by dect:
Your pic was interesting, I assumed the 54mm BT ducting would be completely rigid and straight just like the 110mm drainage ducting is but from the pic it looks somewhat flexible. Is that your experience?

See attached a few more images. For Openreach it comes on a drum and can be forced into a quite a tight radius on the drum, although unlikely to be used in this extreme, this was for their part of the duct work i the lane. For self install they provided 3m lengths with flared push fit joints at one end, this change in diameter provides a bit more rigidity than in a single drum roll. But yes it bends. To be honest I'd rather have had a drum but probably in the minority of self installers for that! They can also provide ready made bends if need be but a sweeping bend from lengths would be better if room. None of the bends were held in place so it could bend more if required.

Marking out - https://i.imgur.com/f09BHBI.jpg

Drum Roll - https://i.imgur.com/34Nue3P.jpg

Turf Rolls - https://i.imgur.com/pPnrtu6.jpg
Standard User dect
(member) Wed 27-Feb-19 08:02:01
Print Post

[re: F00tS0re] [link to this post]

Thanks for uploading those extra pics they were very useful.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to