General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User morgard
(newbie) Wed 06-Mar-19 18:10:58
Print Post

Re: BTnet and DrayTek router help

[re: andew] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew, and thanks for the reply.

I did try some time ago what you have suggested, but couldn't get it to work. I was originally advised by a techie in BT Local Business to REPLACE the Cisco router with a DrayTek router (with integrated firewall), so we've converted this line to 'Wires only'. This may not have been great advice, but I think it's too late now.

So, I believe that I now MUST remove the Cisco box from this set-up, and configure the DrayTek accordingly. I'm hoping that (a) this is possible, and (b) someone here can guide me with what settings to put where in the DrayTek.

Thanks.

Steve.
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Wed 06-Mar-19 18:16:08
Print Post

[re: morgard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by morgard:
Iíve tried, out of interest, plugging the DrayTek into the Cisco router (not a solution anyway, because the Cisco box is going to be returned soon to BT) which is in turn plugged into the BT-supplied ADVA box on the wall, and also plugging the DrayTek directly into the ADVA box, neither of which gave a live connection, of course.
Please take a close look at the Adva device and report back with model or part numbers. Once that has been identified, it may help the "wise ones" deduce the type of service provided. Perhaps you could take one or more photographs of it and then make them available to view via one the the image hosting sites?

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User morgard
(newbie) Wed 06-Mar-19 18:18:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply, MrSaffron!

Sadly, I was never told that. I've been led along the route of converting this line to 'Wires only', and REPLACING the Cisco router with the DrayTek router (with integrated firewall). I'm hoping that this is possible to do?

Steve.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User morgard
(newbie) Wed 06-Mar-19 18:26:46
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Hi burakkucat,

The ADVA box is labelled FSP150CP.

I hope that helps.

Steve.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Mar-19 18:38:09
Print Post

So the RJ45 (Access) port on the ADVA is what you would plug the Draytek into I believe and as you've detailed you have a block of IP addresses

https://www.draytek.co.uk/archive/kb_vigor_multinat....

A Multi-nat setup on the Draytek is probably the way to go,

If that page is just a random set of words as far as you are concerned then employing someone who has experience with the Draytek and can explain what you want to do is probably the best way forward.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Wed 06-Mar-19 18:48:57
Print Post

That is useful to know. So the service you are currently receiving is via the Openreach Ethernet Access Direct (EAD) product.

Looking at the FSP150CP, from left to right, you should see two sockets for the dual mains supply, two columns of three LEDs, a Management Serial interface, a 8P8C socket & a SFP socket (both under the "Access" heading) and two further SFP sockets, along with a single column of two LEDs, (all under the "Network" heading).

I expect the existing Cisco router to be connected to the 8P8C socket ("Access") with an Ethernet patch lead. That is the socket to which your new Draytek router should be connected.

I have no experience of the Draytek device, so am unable to help with that. However it would just be a case of configuring it with the details you have been given (as shown in your opening post). I'm sure there will be someone who can assist you with that task. wink
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Wed 06-Mar-19 19:30:11
Print Post

I've been led along the route of converting this line to 'Wires only', and REPLACING the Cisco router with the DrayTek router (with integrated firewall). I'm hoping that this is possible to do?

Like I said, you were advised wrongly. Not every sales droid at BT knows what they're talking about.

Plug the Draytek *into* the Cisco. Configure a static IP address and default route on the Draytek in the way I've said. Job done.

If you replace the Cisco you'll need a whole load of extra config from BT (for example, the point-to-point link addresses for the WAN link). If you're not an IP expert you really don't want to attempt this. (If I were to do it, I'd have to break into the Cisco to retrieve its configuration)
Standard User solchain
(regular) Wed 06-Mar-19 19:37:02
Print Post

Cant work out from previous posts if you have sorted it, and Its been a while since I have done one, I seem to remember that we had to leave the Cisco in place, this covers how I remember it being and we always got it working..

http://mindofdes.blogspot.com/2015/04/help-setting-u...

Basically says..

Firstly, you will need a few things:

IPv4 Network Address (You should have been sent this in advance, if not ask the engineer installing)
IPv4 Network Mask (same as above)
Something to take care of NAT and act as a firewall (we used a Draytek Vigor 2830)

To work out your range of external IPs, you can use your network address and mask with a subnet calculator (such as http://www.subnet-calculator.com/)

The following has been created using the following IP addresses - you will need to enter your own instead for this to work! Be sure to change them and use the subnet calculator above if you need your entire range.

If our Network address is: 81.14.198.192 and our mask is 255.255.255.248 then our range is: 81.14.198.193 - 81.14.198.198 (to work this out, enter the address and select the mask on the calculator - the bottom then gives you the range)

In this instance, BT put their Gateway device on 81.14.198.193 (the first available IP from the available range) therefore you have 194 to 198 as external IP addresses to use.

So how do you get your kit working?

Get your firewall/router and plug a cable from the GE 0/1 port on the Cisco into the "WAN" port on your router. Ensure that this is a WAN port that takes a network cable and not a telephone one, as this is for ADSL or VDSL.

Now login to your own router, and set it a static IP address for Internet Access. The routers IP can be any of the addresses from 81.14.198.194 to 81.14.198.198. Enter the subnet address as: 255.255.255.248 and the Gateway address as 81.14.198.193.

And that should be it - there are a lot more things that can be done but these are the basics to get things working.
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Mar-19 19:42:41
Print Post

Hi burakkucat,

The ADVA box is labelled FSP150CP.

I hope that helps.

Steve.

Yes, what you have there is the Openreach termination unit - there will be an SFP (fibre) uplink going to the Openreach network via a fibre tray most likely, and then an Ethernet port - marked "Access"

that should go to the WAN port of the Cisco - because if you don't use the Cisco you can expect zero support from BT when you have a problem.

Now it depends how that cisco was configured - if it's set as a wan router, then you'd connect the DrayTek via the wan ethernet port it has to a port on the cisco, give it an IP address of say .130 from your range, subnet 255.255.255.248, the gateway as .129 (the Cisco), and the DNS to whatever bt wanted you to use and you'll be sorted.

If they've set it as a LAN router, then the odds are you'll get a local network IP address via DHCP - if so you need to ask them to change it to just have your routed subnet - otherwise you're going to end up in hell.

However this aside I suspect the odds are you were over-sold as BT Local business are currently heavily pushing even small firms into taking BTnet leased lines, often telling you ISDN is no more and that it's essentially the only option which frankly - in the vast majority of small business cases - is untrue. Most small businesses would be perfectly fine with FTTC or similar, at a significantly lower cost. I've recently seen them pretty much bully a company with 3 people into a BTnet 100 line, for reasons nobody who doesn't practice ripping people off can accept is reasonable.

also - given that this is a dedicated service that BT Local Business sold you, perhaps they should provide the support for this - after all BT and whichever 3rd party company is "BT Local business" in your area is take the money!
Standard User morgard
(newbie) Wed 06-Mar-19 19:43:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes, that port on the ADVA is the one that the cable from the Cisco has been plugged into. I've been unplugging the end of this cable from the Cisco router, and instead plugging it into the DrayTek for testing.

Thanks for the link, which I've looked at. I've never needed to use MultiNAT before, although that page gives a good overview. However, I'm wondering if this is overkill for our needs.

This is a small business, with no fancy equipment, no need for hosting web servers, nothing beyond the basics. As I see it, we only actually need just one IP address anyway, and for everything to sit safely (via NAT) behind the DrayTek on that.

For my understanding, am I right in thinking that the 2 IP addresses and 255.255.255.248 subnet mask I listed earlier mean we've been allocated 8 IP addresses:

xxx.xxx.xxx.128, xxx.xxx.xxx.129, xxx.xxx.xxx.130, xxx.xxx.xxx.131, xxx.xxx.xxx.132, xxx.xxx.xxx.133, xxx.xxx.xxx.134, xxx.xxx.xxx.135.

If I'm correct so far, then for the set-up WITH the Cisco, would xxx.xxx.xxx.128 have been our 'main' address, and xxx.xxx.xxx.129 for the Cisco box? If so, without the Cisco box present, then how does that affect things? Does the DrayTek become xxx.xxx.xxx.129, or is that what all the configuration settings are for? Apologies here, I'm used to standard household / small business routers NOT on fixed IP lines. I do understand a lot of the networking stuff (DHCP, static IP addresses within a small network, etc.), just not been exposed to this sort of slightly more complex set-up before.

Anyway, can I not just set-up the DrayTek to use just one of those above, leaving the others unused? I'm thinking simple is best here?!

Thanks.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to