General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Mar-19 21:11:54
Print Post

Re: BTnet and DrayTek router help

[re: morgard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by morgard:
It's already been several months of wranglings, and I very much doubt the business owner wants any more - he just wants it all working now, and for us to move on. Besides, the BT Local Business team assure us that the ultimate price should be no more per month than a non-BTnet alternative, since I've kept emails sent during the set-up process, and that's what we were 'promised'. wink It remains to be seen, though.

Sadly it's almost certainly not the case - but it is a little too late I agree.
Standard User morgard
(newbie) Thu 04-Apr-19 12:15:57
Print Post

Hi everyone,

You were very helpful a few weeks ago with our BTnet situation (thanks!). Now, there's been some developments, and I thought I'd run it past you to try and anticipate what to expect when I next go on-site (probably tomorrow).

A decision was made a couple of weeks ago to change the 'wires only BTnet' setup (which we've still not actually used - we're still running on a separate 'temporary' BT broadband line since this whole process was started at new premises a few months back). This 'wires only' setup was an unsatisfactory situation that we'd been put in by some 'interesting' advice on the part of our BT Local Business team. To save you reading through all the old posts, the summary is that we'd originally been provided with a Cisco 4321 router (no firewall, and requiring configuring with static IP address settings, etc., which I haven't done before). This was converted to a 'wires only' setup, with NO support from BT if issues were to arise. Now, BT have supplied a small Cisco Meraki MX65W router. Unlike the original one, this apparently comes with a firewall, and has been 'set up' already by a BT engineer. So, some questions, please:

- Will this router/firewall simply work? This was certainly not the case previously, which would have required me to follow instructions provided by yourselves in response to my original post. I am more familiar with residential and small business networking setups, where everything just works when plugged in. Sure, in those situations I can change passwords, wireless settings, open ports for CCTV, etc., but I haven't ever needed to make any more fundamental changes to accommodate static IP addresses, etc., as discussed before. Should I expect to be able to plug my laptop directly into the Meraki, and to get a live internet connection immediately without having to do anything else?

- Can and/or should I still use the DrayTek Vigor 2862ac router/firewall (in addition to the Meraki) I bought a few months back, which had been intended to replace the original Cisco router? This was clearly necessary for that setup. Now, I'm wondering if this new Meraki negates the reasons for having the DrayTek. It's too late to return the DrayTek to the supplier, so I don't want to be out of pocket here, and even if the Meraki could be configured in a similar way to the DrayTek, then I'd still rather leave that to BT themselves and not touch it, and do any configuring that we need on-site with the DrayTek that I understand and control. In fact, would I be best advised to not touch the Meraki at all?

I hope that the above is clear, and thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have on this.

Steve.
Standard User lucavigg
(newbie) Tue 14-Apr-20 20:59:23
Print Post

A very interesting discussion.

My situation is one of no choice. I look after IT for a small food wholesalers in South London. They have ISDN lines with a Nortel BCM150 exchange and really [censored] broadband. We have been pestering BT for about four years for faster broadband (currently 2.5 download and 0.5 upload) and the answer has always been, no plans to provide faster broadband at present.

About a month ago, before the lockdown, the owner was contacted by BT and was given a deal for a new telephone exchange, phones, VOIP and 100 Meg Leased line for almost exactly the same amount that he currently pays. He took the deal and the first part of the install was done before the lockdown. They installed an ADVA FSP150 but I'm fairly sure that the cable for it was left dangling unplugged. Now, they have sent him a managed router and given him the option of self commissioning or getting BT to do it, once we've all finished starring in Outbreak or Contagion.

This last communication would suggest that it's ready to be commissioned and I could go in (with mask, gloves and sanitiser) and get the ball rolling. Now, bearing in mind that I have had ZERO experience with Cisco managed routers, would I be better off, given the above discussion, asking BT to commission their router as a WAN setup so that I could just plug in a WAN router, Vigor or otherwise, (I really don't get on with Vigor) when I'm ready to go?

If they're giving him the option of commissioning it for him, I'm thinking we should take advantage, seeing as it's their kit. Then I could just get the WAN settings and put them in the router and away we go.

Regards
Luca

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sammm_
(learned) Wed 15-Apr-20 01:43:42
Print Post

[re: lucavigg] [link to this post]

It depends on whether you want the connection now or later. We are happy to hold orders for customers until the restrictions are lifted (currently 7th June)

You don't actually configure the BT router, all you would need to do is call the commissioning team and they would ask you to plug the ethernet cable from the ADVA to the GE0/0/0 port on the Cisco (and ofcourse supply power). I would also reccomend you ask the remote engineer for any configuations you want done.

I should also mention that a firewall is mandatory if you are taking the Cloud Voice SIP service.

BT EO Line 16/0.9
Cisco Certfied Network Associate.

All views are my own.
Standard User lucavigg
(newbie) Wed 15-Apr-20 09:20:50
Print Post

[re: Sammm_] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. The connection is not urgent and we can get by for the moment on what we have. I think the VOIP and telephone exchange installation will not be happening for a good few months.

I'll call the commissioning team this morning and express my preference to set it up in the way I posted previously. Presumably, they can remotely configure their managed router so that I can setup and test a new WAN router/firewall/wireless at my own pace during the lockdown and let them know when we've switched to it.

Unfortunately, during the lockdown and because they are a food distribution business, I have to follow strict rules regarding contact and isolation from staff and this usually means I am there very early on a Sunday morning and unable to communicate with BT.

Thanks for the clarification.

Luca
Standard User daddum61
(newbie) Wed 26-Aug-20 15:32:54
Print Post

[re: lucavigg] [link to this post]

interesting
I have just had this installed and wish to use the public IP's on my firewalls that are connected to the ADVA box

I called BT to ask for info i.e. do i need PPPoE settings etc, they had sent me the public IP's
I was told that when the meraki box is delivered i can plug into that and anything this i need changing i would call BT and they will change the meraki firewall settings in the cloud, BUT they said they cant bridge the box to put the public IP's on the inside, they can do one to one NAT but thats all
so they are changing me to wires only so i can manage my own firewalls and public IP's
100meg, £800 a quarter with the managed service !
interesting to see what the wires only service will be
i am informed that a meraki box has landed at site, so i guess the move to wires only has not yet happened
Standard User danielhyde
(regular) Wed 26-Aug-20 15:42:25
Print Post

[re: daddum61] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by daddum61:
interesting
I have just had this installed and wish to use the public IP's on my firewalls that are connected to the ADVA box

I called BT to ask for info i.e. do i need PPPoE settings etc, they had sent me the public IP's
I was told that when the meraki box is delivered i can plug into that and anything this i need changing i would call BT and they will change the meraki firewall settings in the cloud, BUT they said they cant bridge the box to put the public IP's on the inside, they can do one to one NAT but thats all
so they are changing me to wires only so i can manage my own firewalls and public IP's
100meg, £800 a quarter with the managed service !
interesting to see what the wires only service will be
i am informed that a meraki box has landed at site, so i guess the move to wires only has not yet happened

With wires only you connect your own router directly to the NTE device.
Standard User daddum61
(newbie) Wed 26-Aug-20 15:50:17
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

How do i know the gateway ip address etc
all i have is public IP addresses and the DNS addreses
Standard User danielhyde
(regular) Wed 26-Aug-20 16:12:30
Print Post

[re: daddum61] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by daddum61:
How do i know the gateway ip address etc
all i have is public IP addresses and the DNS addreses

They should be provided by BT.

For example this was provided by the ISP of the last Leased Line I installed:

IP Address Range: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx/29
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.248
Gateway IP Address: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Usable WAN Address Range: xx.xx.xxx.xxx-xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Standard User jpm
(regular) Wed 26-Aug-20 18:34:51
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

Those Meraki boxes that BTnet supply can have all the wireless and NAT features disabled and just present the public subnet on one of the LAN ports, it's just a change request that needs to be made to BT.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to