General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SuperKaye
(newbie) Thu 14-Jan-21 16:24:52
Print Post

Re: BTnet and DrayTek router help

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

Hello,

Bit of a latecomer to the thread, but found myself in the same boat. I have a wires only service having been installed and has just come live. During the first set of lockdowns, the IT company who booked the leased line have ceased trading, and the owner of the site (a personal friend of mine) has asked me to take over looking after it.

So we went live today, I have the email with all the IP's in from BT IP Master, and they have given me this list.

WAN IP Address ***.***.***..191
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.254
Next hop back ***.***.***.190

LAN IP Address
Gateway ***.***.***.193
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.248
1st Usable IP Address ***.***.***.194 through to ***.***.***.198

So on my Draytek, it is asking for the WAN IP Address (which in the list above would be the 1st LAN IP). BT have said they have configured the PE for all of the public addresses to be listed, so therefore that should be correct, however no connection.

Sorry to the OP for jumping in, but it looks like an extremely similar situation between us, and thought it might be further info to know there is someone in exactly the same boat,

Thanks smile
Standard User jpm
(member) Thu 14-Jan-21 17:22:35
Print Post

[re: SuperKaye] [link to this post]

If you're wires only then your WAN IP on the Draytek router needs to be configured as

***.***.***.191

The subnet mask is 255.255.255.254. Default gateway is ***.***.***.190

The /29 block is a routed block of IPs that you can use in NAT rules or assign to their own subnet. I'm not totally sure how you'd do that on a Draytek device.
Standard User SuperKaye
(newbie) Thu 14-Jan-21 17:30:17
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

Ahh right I was wondering that.

In that case then, the .194... addresses would go in as aliases then or virtual WAN's?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Jan-21 18:55:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by SuperKaye:
I have the email with all the IP's in from BT IP Master, and they have given me this list.

WAN IP Address ***.***.***..191
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.254
Next hop back ***.***.***.190

LAN IP Address
Gateway ***.***.***.193
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.248
1st Usable IP Address ***.***.***.194 through to ***.***.***.198

So on my Draytek, it is asking for the WAN IP Address (which in the list above would be the 1st LAN IP).

What you've written in brackets is not the case here. BT have used a separate numbered IP subnet for the WAN connection, which is outside of the LAN subnet.

x.x.x.190/31 = block of 2 IP addresses
.190 = BT's router at the far end
.191 = your router's WAN address

x.x.x.192/29 = block of 8 IP addresses
.192 = network addressed (reserved)
.193 = router LAN address (which is also the gateway address entered into the clients)
.194-198 = usable for clients
.199 = broadcast address (reserved)

Some providers do use "unnumbered" links on the WAN, in which case the router's WAN address is the same as its LAN address, to save IP addresses.
Standard User SuperKaye
(newbie) Thu 14-Jan-21 19:04:20
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Sorry that's my mistake, in the brackets I was referring to the first Public usable LAN address that I have been provided with, as in 194.
Standard User Sammm_
(learned) Thu 14-Jan-21 21:35:40
Print Post

I work on BTnet. With wires only you dont need to use xxx.xxx.xxx.193 as your drayteks gateway. It can be whatever you want out of that range.

BT EO Line 16/1 with Vigor130, MX64, MR33 and MS120-8LP

Cisco Certified Network Associate.
Certified Meraki Network Associate.

All views are my own.
Standard User SuperKaye
(newbie) Thu 14-Jan-21 22:08:04
Print Post

[re: Sammm_] [link to this post]

Ah ok, so would I use the one they specify as WAN or the one they specify as LAN?

When I last spoke to them before Christmas, they said if they put the range on the PE then it would be fine to say use .194/29 as first address on the draytek with .193 as the gateway, and that would just work. It doesn't seem to though. although I will need to attend site when the client is off her two week isolation (on sunday) to verify it's connected etc. For now, I know the NTE is live with a connection, but I can't access the router from outside using the .194 address.
Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Thu 14-Jan-21 22:54:52
Print Post

You put the the one they specify as the WAN on the WAN interface of the Draytek

Personally I would setup the LAN with a private class C network and masquerade that to the internet.

You then add in the eight IP addresses you have as fixed mappings in the masquerading tables.

So lets say you set your internal network to be 192.168.20.0/24 (never use 0,1,or 2 IMHO). You can set the internal IP address of the Draytek to 192.168.20.254 (because all right thinking people know the router should be the last IP in the netblock), and set a suitable DHCP range say 192.168.20.16-192.168.20.252

Finally you would set up a static map so that x.x.x.193 mapped to 192.168.20.1 and x.x.x.194 mapped to 192.168.20.2 etc.

Some details on how to set it up

https://www.draytek.co.uk/archive/kb/kb_setup_addres...

though I have never done this on a Draytek myself, I am pretty sure that's the right page. Saves wasting a public IP address on the Draytek, and you can have more than eight devices on the internal network and they can seemlessly talk to the devices that have "public" IP addresses as they are on the same network without doing hairpin NAT on the Draytek.

I prefer Edgerouters for this type of setup because you can get a mini private DNS server from dnsmasq which you can't do on the Draytek's.
Standard User SuperKaye
(newbie) Thu 14-Jan-21 23:01:51
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Ok I'm following that well, so the WAN IP I got goes in the Draytek WAN and the Next Hop address would go in as the gateway.

However, say I just want a "typical" network on the internal LAN, with all devices that appear (say on wireless) to have internet access, would I still do the mappings for the internal LAN's, say 192.168.20.1 etc?

I would only want the Draytek to have a public IP, and the internal mail server, so that would take 194 and 195 out of the five public addresses assigned to the connection. I've always done that through WAN IP aliasing before.

Thanks so much!
K
Standard User SuperKaye
(newbie) Thu 14-Jan-21 23:02:50
Print Post

Most of the jobs I do now are on Edgerouters, however this one already had the draytek there so makes sense to use it. It's brand new etc.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to