General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chrisstiles
(newbie) Wed 13-Mar-19 13:21:26
Print Post

FTTC/VDSL with microfilters rather than faceplate

[link to this post]

Hi -

I have a line with star-wiring (junction box terminating dropwire outside the house - two sockets wired off that via external wiring that go in two different directions). I have ADSL2 running reasonably well (10Mbps).

Is VDSL using microfilters rather than a faceplate a viable option? As there is no true master socket and therefore an ambiguous demarcation line I'm wary of replacing one of the sockets with an NTE5 box myself.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Mar-19 13:30:04
Print Post

Re: FTTC/VDSL with microfilters rather than faceplate

[re: chrisstiles] [link to this post]

It will work, but is far from ideal.

Having this issue sorted (properly) now will pay dividends for both your ADSL , and even more for your VDSL service.

Not be tempted to bodge it, have your current ISP cause an SFI task, have Openreach come and sort it, leaving you with a true NTE and SSFP.

(newbie) Wed 13-Mar-19 13:37:29
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Presumably they charge for 'remedying' this situation ? And how do I get a SFI task opened? Is it easiest to order VDSL and then complain about the performance?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Mar-19 13:43:36
Print Post

If there is a wire that goes in a different direction before your router (modem) then you may get reflections which reduce the quality of the signal going to the router. The wire is called a bridge tap.

You could replace the socket that your router is attached to with a modern master socket with filtered face plate, then run a cable from that master socket to your other phone point. You should make sure that the other phone socket is not a master socket with a capacitor and resistor. Changing the master socket is something you should ask your phone supplier to arrange. -smile

Michael Chare
(newbie) Wed 13-Mar-19 13:51:11
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In this case (having looked inside both sockets) both are of the 'master socket' type's (LJs) with capacitors and resistors inside (though because of star wiring neither are master sockets in the traditional demarcation sense). One running downstairs and the other upstairs. I currently have microfilters connected to both, with the telephone downstairs and the modem upstairs.

The question about ordering VDSL first was around avoiding the call out charge for raising an SFI.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Mar-19 14:05:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by chrisstiles:
In this case (having looked inside both sockets) both are of the 'master socket' type's (LJs) with capacitors and resistors inside (though because of star wiring neither are master sockets in the traditional demarcation sense). One running downstairs and the other upstairs. I currently have microfilters connected to both, with the telephone downstairs and the modem upstairs.

The question about ordering VDSL first was around avoiding the call out charge for raising an SFI.
I think you mean master sockets in the modern sense! You can have two sockets with capacitors and resistors but three will cause problems. You might find that one socket has the capacitor and resistor disconnected. The bits you need for a DIY approach are available on ebay and Solwise.

Star wired properties are not uncommon IME.

Michael Chare
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Wed 13-Mar-19 14:08:27
Print Post

If there are two pairs in the wire from the junction box, you can use them to rectify the situation:

* outside line --> junction box --> pair 1 to master socket
* pair 2 (filtered extension) goes back to junction box
* connect this (separately) to the link to the extension socket

BT did something like this for me when I had FTTC installed at a previous house. The master socket was by the front door but there was no power socket anywhere nearby for a router. However, the cable to the living room extension had two pairs. So they took the "outside" line through one pair, put the master socket in the living room, and used the other pair back to the front door socket (from which the other extensions also ran)

It's certainly worth getting this rectified professionally though.
(newbie) Wed 13-Mar-19 14:27:25
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
I think you mean master sockets in the modern sense!

Yes, I suppose I do really!

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
You can have two sockets with capacitors and resistors but three will cause problems.

Presumably this is to do with total capacitance on the line (which are effectively one really long piece of dead wire connected to the junction).

In reply to a post by candlerb:
If there are two pairs in the wire from the junction box, you can use them to rectify the situation:

* outside line --> junction box --> pair 1 to master socket
* pair 2 (filtered extension) goes back to junction box
* connect this (separately) to the link to the extension socket

Actually this isn't a bad idea (though can also see the value in having it done professionally).
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Mar-19 12:23:54
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

If you have no true master socket, isn't it free to get one fitted?

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 17-Mar-19 12:27:13
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

The OP appears to have two though. So it sounds like some DIY has gone on, and I expect it's a chargeable job to sort it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to