General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Mar-19 17:02:38
Print Post

Help with FTTP Authentication Error

[link to this post]

If you look at the other thread, I had FTTP installed yesterday afternoon. The sync light is on, but I get a CHAP authentication error. Spoke to Zen, who said the provisioning isn't complete. However, the engineer actually popped in this afternoon (much to my surprise) as he was passing and asked how it was going and was very surprised that it wasn't working. Used the BT_TEST_USERNAME as the login and it connects (gets an IP, doesn't actually go out to the internet). The BT Wholesale checker also now says "FTTP Active on the line".

Normally I would just trust Zen, but unfortunately for this particular install they have been wrong or misinformed all the way along (to the extent they had no idea the engineer was visiting yesterday and my line was now live).

Is there anything I can prompt them to do? They are currently "Waiting" and will check to see if anything changed on Monday.

Thanks for any help.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Mar-19 18:42:41
Print Post

Re: Help with FTTP Authentication Error

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

Hmm, the few Zen installs I have done have all resulted in the punter having to call Zen, but then with their co-op were brought into service .... so they should be able to help.

Were you their customer on your previous service too ? Maybe there is some duplication of log ins presenting on their home gateway ?

It *used* to be that a log in of [email protected] of the zen login should make a connection all the way through to their home gateway, and if so this kinda puts the ball in Zenís park .... but Iíve never tried this withan FTTP service.

Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Mar-19 18:59:04
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thank you. That login gives me:

Internet connection established successfully: IP address: 172.22.175.138, DNS 63.6.38.125 and 194.74.65.98, gateway: 172.16.10.84, broadband pop: acc-aln2.uk

All a mystery to me. To the layman it looks as though Iím not registered / connected to Zen so the zen username fails but the BT one validates.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Mar-19 19:08:59
Print Post

What that tells me (and Lord knows, Iím often wrong) is that everything is correct and working right up to Zenís home gateway....

Iíd politely suggest that issue is internal to Zen. Hassle them.

Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Thu 21-Mar-19 19:11:52
Print Post

I agree with Zarjaz, the authentication problem is with Zen so they need to sort it out, I suspect they don't have a lot of FTTP customers so customer service may not have experience of dealing with problems. If the BT test logins work the service must be active. You need to put pressure on Zen to contact Openreach or BT wholesale ( not sure which) to fix it. Why are Zen 'waiting' until Monday, what's that going to achieve? I think they are stalling because they don't know what to do, you would expect a better response from Zen.frown
Standard User craski
(committed) Thu 21-Mar-19 19:41:16
Print Post

I'm not on FTTP but did have a problematic FTTC install that took months to get installed. When the connection went live I could not access internet using Zen's provided login details and they were adamant their was no issue on their RADIUS server, all was fine.

After several tests failing, I managed to persuade them to recreate the authentication details on their RADIUS server and the connection burst into life. Either the authentication details on their side were incorrect or possible had timed out because the connection took so long between order and delivery, I'm not sure.

If you've had a long delay between your service being ordered and it being delivered, it may be a similar problem and worth ruling out.

Zen Business FTTC BQM
Talk Talk Business FTTC BQM
IDNET ADSL BQM
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Mar-19 20:06:18
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

I donít believe there is any point in asking Zen to raise tasks with Openreach/BTw. These tests have proved the issue is within Zenís domain.

Iíd be asking them to strip the account , then reprovide it ... better still, create a whole new account, new login the whole shebang.

Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Thu 21-Mar-19 20:41:16
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I was probably thinking that Zen need some help from Openreach/BTw to point them to the right area to fix the problem as Zen don't seem to have a clue.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Mar-19 21:03:58
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Nice idea .....

Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-Mar-19 10:40:01
Print Post

Solved

Thank you very much for your help. Their radius server was not refreshed properly frown

I have to say Zen have gone down slightly in my estimation, as they didn't actually believe me that I could connect to the BT test user (as I could on Wednesday as well). And made me re-configure the router again. I've been with them for ... goodness .... more years than I care to remember and never had to use technical support / talk to anyone in all that time.

Still, happy days finally with 310mbps/down and 49/mbps up.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to