General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User slmwindsor
(newbie) Fri 22-Mar-19 17:41:58
Print Post

FTTP Progress

[link to this post]

This is like Ground Hog day again.

First it was ADSL+, waiting for you exchange to be updated
Then its was FTTC, waiting for exchange to enabled
Now it is FTTP ...

Whilst I accept that Openreach cannot enable all exchanges and areas for FTTP immediately, to be continually at the back of the queue on a small exchange (Almondsbury) and 500m from the local cabinet (32) means that I will have to wait for FTTP to get truly fast internet ...

But, I am happy to say, Virgin have installed cable fibre in my street, after 18 years of saying soon!.

Does this mean BT Openreach will realise there is serious competition and do something now? Or could they just give a schedule when exchanges/cabinets will be upgraded?

Anyway, I have ordered 200Mbs from Virgin for £5pm less than my current broadband, for installation in 10 days. If only Openreach could do that.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Mar-19 18:41:40
Print Post

Re: FTTP Progress

[re: slmwindsor] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by slmwindsor:
Does this mean BT Openreach will realise there is serious competition and do something now? Or could they just give a schedule when exchanges/cabinets will be upgraded?

Are you not getting respectable FTTC speeds @ 500m away from the cabinet, that’s assuming it’s FTTC live? As to when you’ll be getting FTTP, could be months/years/decades. Of course nothing stopping you ordering FTTPoD if you’re willing to pay for it.

Anyway, I have ordered 200Mbs from Virgin for £5pm less than my current broadband, for installation in 10 days. If only Openreach could do that.

You’ll find the 10 days is for connecting to an existing VM cable network. If Openreach had brought FTTP to your DP, you would have been looking at similar lead times.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Mar-19 20:04:36
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
If Openreach had brought FTTP to your DP, you would have been looking at similar lead times.

Well ours was done in 2 to 3 days from the day of the phone call from BT.
So its down to the ISP and if there are available slots for the engineers to come out.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Sat 23-Mar-19 08:32:42
Print Post

Re: FTTP Progress *DELETED*

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Post deleted by PhilipD
Standard User Garlic
(regular) Sat 23-Mar-19 10:25:47
Print Post

Almost impossible to say without a good look at whats nearby and how easy a fttp deployment would be.

-----------
FTTP 80/20
Standard User slmwindsor
(newbie) Sun 24-Mar-19 10:33:01
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I used to get about 60Mbs, which was very impressive, but over the past three years it has dropped to about 42Mb.

Why do I want better broadband, good question, what is enough. Should I have been happy with 7Mbs on ADSL2+, should I be happy with 42+Mbs on VDSL via FTTC. In my head, the perfect situation would be 100Mbs synchronous, but that is not available to me.

Why did I choose Virgin 200Mbs?

- FTTP not available to me
- Not prepared to pay for a leased line
- It was available and less than my current contract
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Mar-19 11:04:26
Print Post

I used to get about 60Mbs, which was very impressive, but over the past three years it has dropped to about 42Mb.

Why do I want better broadband, good question, what is enough. Should I have been happy with 7Mbs on ADSL2+, should I be happy with 42+Mbs on VDSL via FTTC. In my head, the perfect situation would be 100Mbs synchronous, but that is not available to me.

Why did I choose Virgin 200Mbs?

- FTTP not available to me
- Not prepared to pay for a leased line
- It was available and less than my current contract

Well good luck with Virgin 200 Mbps as you may end up getting far less than your current 42 Mbps FTTC speeds at peak times along with horrible latency, depending on how heavily subscribed your area is. I suspect you might be ok though, as FTTC is available in your area offering decent (>40 Mbps) speeds hence not every man & his dog will be subscribing to cable.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Sun 24-Mar-19 13:11:57
Print Post

In my head, the perfect situation would be 100Mbs synchronous

Symmetric?
Standard User slmwindsor
(newbie) Sun 24-Mar-19 16:06:45
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

oops, yes
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Tue 26-Mar-19 08:07:42
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

But that was totally self inflicted by Virgin Media. I know they’ve been doing a lot of work segmenting the network over the last few years. So surely not as bad now?

Icaras
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to