General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User CSS_1978
(newbie) Sun 24-Mar-19 02:00:18
Print Post

FTTP

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Openreach are currently rolling our FTTP in Wallasey Wirral, I currently have a BT FTTC connection which is being served from PCP: P28 which is some distance away, however the closest cab is PCP: P73, now the reason I'm on a cab so far away is due to the cable from the post back to the cab being in a very poor state so the kind Openreach staff some years ago found a spear port on the cab I'm currently on which massively improved the stability of the line and speeds too, but that was when I was on ADSL2+, however now I'm using VDSL2 and because my line route passes some aluminium cables BT class this as an impacted line and have forced lowerspeeds, so with the impending FTTP roll out, if I complete a postcode check and use my next door neighbours property number then it shows as PCP: P73 / our postcode due to get FTTP, if I do the same check on my telephone number then the openreach checker tells me I can order FTTC VDSL, so my question is once FTTP is at the pole will BT allow me to order and swap from FTTC to FTTP ?

Virgin Media Business 350/20 + 13 Static IP's
BT Business VDSL 80/20(sync speed 50/13) + 5 Static IP's
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Sun 24-Mar-19 08:43:26
Print Post

Re: FTTP

[re: CSS_1978] [link to this post]

FTTP topology is unrelated to the fibre cabinets - the FTTP service doesn't come via any cabinet. So if your pole (DP) gets fibre, then you should be able to get an FTTP service from it. It just requires your address in the OR database to be associated with the correct fibre DP.

There's always a chance that the OR database is not updated properly when the fibre DP is installed, in which case, you might have to make some noises to get it fixed. But that can happen for anyone.

Also: I believe you *should* be able to order FTTP service just using an address, not necessarily providing an existing phone number.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 24-Mar-19 09:55:56
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

With the FTTP roll-outs it does not always say FTTP is on the way even in areas it will appear

Generally the ones where it says its on the way are those that are seeing delays

Also while FTTP does not come via a cabinet, invariably because the ducts and poles follow a pattern similar to cabinet footprints you tend to find individual cabinet area being enabled

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Garlic
(regular) Sun 24-Mar-19 10:04:55
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In the above instance I think there is a risk that they will be wrongly recorded. The OP should, when their (immediate) next door neighbour can get fttp, check their report and if they can't ask their ISP to put in a formal request to OR for a data correction (possibly even a data merge depending on what wrong.

-----------
FTTP 80/20
  Print Thread

Jump to