General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spinstorm
(committed) Mon 25-Mar-19 12:18:12
Print Post

Openreach Phase 3.1 rollout? What does this mean?

[link to this post]

I placed an order with cerebrus like many here and just had this back.:

Openreach advised that your address is covered by ongoing scheme PH3.1 East Sussex which is scheduled for delivery in June 2019.

Therefore Openreach recommendation is for this order to be cancelled, as FTTP will be available on completion of Ph3 build.

Please advise if you would like to cancel this FTTP On Demand order. You will be able to resubmit it in June as standard FTTP.

I donít really understand what this means. I have found no record or announcements of openreach laying or planing to lay fibre to my road.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Mar-19 12:54:26
Print Post

Re: Openreach Phase 3.1 rollout? What does this mean?

[re: Spinstorm] [link to this post]

U're in luck. It's mean your area will become FTTP instead of expensive FTTPoD. Count yourself lucky!
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Mon 25-Mar-19 12:56:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by Spinstorm:
I placed an order with cerebrus like many here and just had this back.:

Openreach advised that your address is covered by ongoing scheme PH3.1 East Sussex which is scheduled for delivery in June 2019.

Therefore Openreach recommendation is for this order to be cancelled, as FTTP will be available on completion of Ph3 build.

Please advise if you would like to cancel this FTTP On Demand order. You will be able to resubmit it in June as standard FTTP.

I donít really understand what this means. I have found no record or announcements of openreach laying or planing to lay fibre to my road.

It means exactly what is says - by June 2019 you'll have FTTP available for free.

The same thing happened to another forum user here ("boxst") - desktop FTTPoD quote was £18K+, but after paying for survey they told him FTTPoD was coming in March and they would not progress his FTTPoD order. And he's just got connected - yay smile

Since FTTPoD would take a minimum of 4 months anyway, you should do what Openreach recommend - cancel and wait.

Have you checked your postcode on roadworks.org? Even then, the lack of planned works doesn't mean nothing is happening - things often appear on here a week or less before they take place. Just keep checking it from time to time.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Mar-19 13:00:30
Print Post

It means what it says.

They are requesting you pull your FTTPoD order as FTTP is on the way.
Good news and will save you a considerable chunk of money.

Enter your details on the OpenReach fibre checker and see what they say about availability and future plans.

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-br...
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Mon 25-Mar-19 13:05:15
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Have you tried https://www.esussex.org/ ?

This document says it's phase 2, but worth checking anyway to see if you area is listed:
https://www.esussex.org/CheckYourCoverage/DownloadRo...
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Mon 25-Mar-19 13:35:53
Print Post

I guess thats what they surveying for last year.
Standard User Spinstorm
(committed) Mon 25-Mar-19 16:54:06
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Have you tried https://www.esussex.org/ ?

This document says it's phase 2, but worth checking anyway to see if you area is listed:
https://www.esussex.org/CheckYourCoverage/DownloadRo...

My postcode and cabinet numbers are not on either of those charts. (Cab 27, BN207TW)

The esussex addesss search says:

Records show that this property does not yet have access to Superfast Broadband

Good news! This postcode is in the current plan to be upgraded. Work is scheduled to be completed by the end of March 2019. Please note that it is possible that not all properties in this postcode will be able to get Superfast broadband after the work is completed.

Iím guessing that the above March work has been delayed until June. But there is no listening for my exact details as I said above. I take cerebrus at their word but I told them to leave my order open for now - but the expectation is that openreach will cancel it anyway and I should be able to have my survey charge refunded.

Edited by Spinstorm (Mon 25-Mar-19 16:54:49)

Standard User Spinstorm
(committed) Wed 03-Apr-19 18:24:23
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

I am somewhat confused as I emailed Openreach directly and they said there were no plans for native FTTP. Then I emailed East Sussex Council broadband team and they said the same thing to me.

So I asked Cerberus to double check and openreach came back to them with this:
FTTP is still ongoing, they have estimates for cabling and jointing with an estimated completion date of the 26/04.

Iíve seen no one - what the heck is going on?

I guess maybe I should double check that Cerberus have my correct address lol
Standard User busterboy
(member) Wed 03-Apr-19 20:14:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by Spinstorm:
I am somewhat confused as I emailed Openreach directly and they said there were no plans for native FTTP. Then I emailed East Sussex Council broadband team and they said the same thing to me.

So I asked Cerberus to double check and openreach came back to them with this:
FTTP is still ongoing, they have estimates for cabling and jointing with an estimated completion date of the 26/04.

Iíve seen no one - what the heck is going on?

I guess maybe I should double check that Cerberus have my correct address lol

Personally I would sit tight and wait and see. smile

BTBroadband
Standard User Spinstorm
(committed) Thu 04-Apr-19 18:31:48
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

Cerberus got back and confirmed again that Openreach said:

The address for this order is covered by ongoing scheme PH3.1 East Sussex which is scheduled for delivery in June 2019. Therefore my recommendation is for this order to be cancelled, as FTTP will be available on completion of Ph3 build.

With cableing and jointing scheduled to be complete by the 26th April....
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Apr-19 18:41:32
Print Post

Then you have almost certainly saved £1000s in FoD install costs. Just remain cautiously optimistic that you will be getting native FTTP instead smile

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User Spinstorm
(committed) Fri 05-Apr-19 21:06:41
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Interestingly enough the eSussex site now has changed to say ďcoming soonĒ under my address and that is is part of the new contract phase for superfast. Also the eSussex business site (yes I didnít check it before) says:

Contract 3
January 2019 Ė March 2020. ESCC has now signed a third contract with BT, following an open procurement process (known as OJEU, Official Journal of the European Union) open to all telecoms suppliers. The £4.3m contract will deliver a further 7,220 superfast premises, with build starting in January 2019 and project completion provisionally scheduled for Q4 (end March 2020). The contract is unique in the whole of the UK in that our project requires the supplier to survey all premises in the county as yet unable to access superfast broadband up front (ie in advance of build). This means that, after surveys, we will absolutely know which premises will be reached and identify those that contract 3 will not cover. We will then be in a position to think about options for those not reached.
East Sussex is projected to have 99% superfast coverage by the end of contract 3.

So it does indeed look like despite some contrary emails from Openreach and eSussex themselves that what Cerberus said is correct although still no sign of Openreach work.
Standard User burble
(member) Fri 05-Apr-19 23:13:55
Print Post

Last year gf spoke to a chap who was surveying our road for fibre, I questioned local council BDUK team who contacted openreach, neither had any info and I was told there where no plans in pipeline for FTTP. earlier this year the fibre was laid and is now available to order. I kept BDUK team informed of the progress with works etc with little if any acknowledgement back from them. When the job was finished I thought to contact the original BDUK team manager who had moved on, just to let her know as we had corresponded on superfast for my area for some years, after some investigation she found it was a BDUK project.
https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4600807-ft...
Standard User Spinstorm
(committed) Sun 21-Apr-19 19:24:05
Print Post

[re: burble] [link to this post]

So now the Esussex site says this:

Records show that this premises is not yet able to access Superfast Broadband services

East Sussex County Council has one of the highest levels of access to Superfast Broadband in the UK with over 95% of the county already able to access Superfast services and plans in place to reach over 99% of the county.

However, this still leaves us with 1% of the county (around 4,000 premises) still to reach. You are not currently in a deployment plan BUT this might change post survey. Almost 400 surveys have been produced and these are currently in the process of being validated and analysed which will inform both the final deployment plan and next steps. This website will be updated as soon as further information is available (please note that survey information will not be published as this is commercially confidential).

It remains the County Council's ambition to push Superfast Broadband coverage across the county to as close to 100% as possible.

In the meantime, you may be eligible for a subsidised basic broadband installation under one of the Government Schemes.

As we develop our plans for the final few it is useful for us keep a record of the demand for services. If you are happy for us to keep a record of your interest in Superfast Broadband, please let us know.

So it is now saying my address isnít in the area for super fast even though a few weeks ago it said it was!

The council have again emailed me and said I am not in an area for superfast. I have asked Cerberus again but its Easter so we will see next week what they say.

But Honestly what a mess - how hard is it for them to know what is going on and have the correct information.

How does Openreach tell the ISP something different from the end user customer? How is it that the council are the ones who are paying for the install yet they change their site from saying coming soon to not happening?
Standard User Spinstorm
(committed) Tue 23-Apr-19 18:50:34
Print Post

Cerberus came back to me and said that the address and installation in my area is correct but they have delayed it due to issues with the highways agency? Whatever that means and now there is no date set. As a result they will allow me to proceed with the order:

ďI have also been advised that Openreach have spoken with the East Sussex regional team, who have confirmed that your address is included in the SEP plan to deliver but it is currently on hold pending future decisions with the highway authority etc., and at present there are no dates for when or if the hold will be removed and the project progressed.Ē

I asked them to proceed with the survey as I already paid for it - but come on what is going on? I would say unless the install cost is very low I probably will not proceed but we will see what they price it at.
Standard User Damarr
(committed) Wed 24-Apr-19 08:29:36
Print Post

It seems likely that whatever access issue has delayed the FTTP rollout would do the same to your FTTPoD order. I would cancel it, get your money back and chill for a few months to see what happens.
Standard User Spinstorm
(committed) Wed 24-Apr-19 17:24:24
Print Post

[re: Damarr] [link to this post]

Thanks for the tip - I will let them do the quote as I did pay for it. But I do agree with what you said and I am sure I will end up cancelling after I have an actual quote.
Standard User Spinstorm
(committed) Thu 16-May-19 21:14:49
Print Post

I originally asked for a quote back in November 2018; then I was told native FTTP was coming to my street with work due to be complete by end of April; then I was told that due to issues with the highway that they had indefinitely delayed native fibre in my area; Openreach then told Cerberus that they would do a quote.

I got that back today; needless to say I asked that they cancel the order as it came to £22,960 with VAT - the desktop quote was £9,500 and the hope was that the actual quote would come out below that not more than double.

A breakdown of the charges is below:

Labour
£5,686.00
Stores
£4,170.00
Contract Labour
£0.00
Civils
£9,800.00
Civils Stores
£0.00
Tree cutting
£0.00
BT Connection Charge
£495.00
-£250.00
Deductions
-£1,000.00
£18,901.00

The deductions are for the survey fee and for premises passed.

Can anyone break down these costs? My post code is BN207TW
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 17-May-19 00:25:18
Print Post

Something caused eSussex to cancel/delay plans to cover your area.
Usually this is an unforseen increase in costs.

Now your quote has come in considerably higher than originally thought.
The fact Highways was mentioned is probably significant.

OpenReach prices are £112 and some change per meter to dig up the public highway. It doesn't take a long distance needing dug to send quotes through the roof.

Your quote is quite straightforward.

Labour = people, wages.
Stores = ducting, chambers, equipment
Civils = civil engineering (excavating chambers/trenches)
Standard User Spinstorm
(committed) Fri 17-May-19 00:59:28
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Thanks.

So the breakdown suggests that something may be blocked or require excavation which is why it is so expensive and probably also why my area was delayed?

It would seem (as suggested before) that the delay in native is the same reason as the cost increase in mine.... they were probably hoping Iíd pay for the work then go ahead and cheaply install native lol.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to