General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gstow
(newbie) Thu 05-Sep-19 10:40:21
Print Post

Re: Is this pole equipment an indicator of FTTP?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Five Months..!!!! I can now order FTTP! I'm so excited laugh

Currently with A&A they don't offer anything faster than 160Mb , i'm itching to order 500Mb just because I can..

... what ISP would people recommend - quite used to the controls that A&A provide.. and the excellent customer service. have someone answer the phone that knows what they're on about (or more than me at least) without having to go through some annoying IVR or waiting in a queue.. is quite refreshing!

Cerebus?

D.

Dog Ears.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Sep-19 11:02:03
Print Post

[re: gstow] [link to this post]

Cerberus’ 500 Mb offering is > £150/m with a £600 install fee. You’re better off waiting for the revised cheaper 500 Mb & 1000 Mbs tiers to be released by Openreach very shortly (albeit with reduced upload speeds). They should start selling these to CPs by the end of the year.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 05-Sep-19 12:01:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by gstow:
Currently with A&A they don't offer anything faster than 160Mb , i'm itching to order 500Mb just because I can..

I think the 330/50 offering from Cerberus is *much* better value (£71.50+VAT). You're only talking about a 50% increase in download speed - although the 165M upload speed is tempting.

Otherwise, I think if you go 160/30 with A&A you'll still be very happy. Many sites you talk to on the Internet struggle to serve data to individual users faster than 200Mbps anyway.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gstow
(newbie) Thu 05-Sep-19 13:32:59
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

gone for the 300/50...
50Mb up will be 50x faster than our current speed!

install on the 19th Sep apparently

Cheers,

Dog Ears.
Standard User busterboy
(member) Thu 05-Sep-19 18:28:59
Print Post

gone for the 300/50...
50Mb up will be 50x faster than our current speed!

install on the 19th Sep apparently

Cheers,

Congrats mate, we have been waiting a year already since first told FTTP was coming to our village.

I love to see happy posts like this. smile

BTBroadband
Standard User gstow
(newbie) Fri 20-Sep-19 22:53:59
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

It's in!! Ceberus 300/50 (or is it 330?)

... Yesterday the engineer installed it, we were immediately getting around 290-300Mb very pleased..!

But today we've struggled to get to 50Mb mostly around 40Mb.. Is that to be expected?

frown

Dog Ears.

Edited by gstow (Fri 20-Sep-19 23:09:44)

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Sat 21-Sep-19 07:38:02
Print Post

But today we've struggled to get to 50Mb mostly around 40Mb.. Is that to be expected?

It depends: you need to say in detail how you're measuring.

Is your client wired into the router, or on wireless? You should be wired. Is your client device running anything else? Check your CPU utilisation during the test.

If it's speedtest.net, try selecting a different UK test endpoint. I see different performance to different speedtest.net endpoints - and overall limited to about 200Mbps since my laptop's CPU utilisation goes up to 100% (probably due to flash and/or SSL and/or animated adverts on speedtest.net). But I get full 300Mbps when testing using iperf3 to a remote host I control.

If you're timing a download of a large file, then beware many remote sites fail to have enough bandwidth to fill 300Mbps to a single client. Also, the further the site is away in terms of round-trip time, the more sensitive it is to packet loss limiting the throughput to that site.

Try to repeat the identical test at different times of day. If you can point to a particular time when throughput is poor, then that could point to congestion in the SVLAN on the backhaul link from the exchange to Cerberus (which is shared with other users). If so, Cerberus should be able to move you onto a different SVLAN.

I think you need to talk to Cerberus, let them help you with your testing methodology, and they'll be able to narrow down the issue.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Sep-19 15:24:38
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Try to repeat the identical test at different times of day. If you can point to a particular time when throughput is poor, then that could point to congestion in the SVLAN on the backhaul link from the exchange to Cerberus (which is shared with other users). If so, Cerberus should be able to move you onto a different SVLAN.

I think you need to talk to Cerberus, let them help you with your testing methodology, and they'll be able to narrow down the issue.

Agreed, I had the same issue with BT when I first got FTTP where our speed was 315Mbps on install day and then a few days later it dropped from 312Mbps to 45Mbps, BT said its not an issue until it falls below 40Mbps.

I wasn't happy with that response so I make a complaint and I assumed they moved me due to after the drop in connection and reconnect I have never dropped below 280Mbps at any time of the day.

So by speaking to the ISP can and does help, so no harm in trying, just be firm but polite.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest (Single Threaded) | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User gstow
(newbie) Mon 23-Sep-19 10:45:35
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I've been away this weekend so didn't have a chance to test anything.. this morning I've tested with my laptop connected at 5Ghz and the speeds were 280Mbps..

But testing on an Android (OnePlus 6) still connecting at 5Ghz was still only giving me ~45Mb which made me think!
.. The only change made since the install has been updating the SSID to be the same as the old router and making 5Ghz & 2.5Ghz use the same SSID, maybe that was confusing the mobile device and it couldn't transfer at full speed.
Since changing back to different SSIDs for each the two bands the Android devices are now testing at full speed.

Is that all to be expected.. quick google didn't come up with any suggestions not to put them on the same SSID?

Cheers,
Ears.

Dog Ears.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Sep-19 10:53:41
Print Post

Some android devices may pick the 2.4ghz frequency instead of the 5ghz. Check your router's 2.4ghz max speed.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to