General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ohpohp
(newbie) Sun 14-Apr-19 17:58:29
Print Post

Fibre all along our street.. Neighbour has FTTP, we dont.

[link to this post]

We were lucky that someone nearby ordered FTTPoD, and the fibre comes right past our house.

The fibre comes along the duct in the road, into the road cabinet right in front of our house, and then to the pole on the other side of the road, and then continues to the final destination a few hundred metres down a side road on poles.

The pole on the other side of the road serves our house, and at least 6 other properties, but they didn't install any termination points on our pole. They did however place one on our neighbours pole, that serves just my neighbour.

The openreach checker shows that my neighbour can now order ultrafast, but we can't.

Do you think they might come back to finish the job? Did they run out of termination points? It just seems really odd to me.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Apr-19 19:55:09
Print Post

Re: Fibre all along our street.. Neighbour has FTTP, we dont

[re: ohpohp] [link to this post]

Sounds like your neighbour ordered FTTPoD (see numerous posts re this on this very forum)

This provides service to the person who orders it, and makes it available to those served by the same copper DP as the orderer.

Standard User brookheather
(member) Sun 14-Apr-19 20:58:43
Print Post

Unfortunately you aren't lucky as your neighbour's FTTPoD installation won't be providing you with FTTP - the cable that was installed can't be used to serve you. You will have to order FTTPoD as well if you want FTTP installed - ask your neighbour how much they paid. The only slight good news is that the cost for you may be a little lower as the ducts will have been cleared for your neighbour and they may have installed some infrastructure such as a DP nearer to your house to provide the neighbour's FTTPoD installation.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ohpohp
(newbie) Sun 14-Apr-19 21:59:46
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

My apologies, I haven't given you the whole picture here.

I'll have a chat to my neighbour next time I see him, but I'd be surprised if he'd ordered FTTPoD. I reckon that honour belongs to the guy who just moved in to the 1.5 million quid stately home nearby, and where the fibre run ends.

My neighbour isn't the only person who has a termination point on the telegraph pole that serves their house, when installing the fibre, around 50% of the poles had termination points installed. I can't imagine that all of those people ordered FTTPoD, some of the residents don't even use the internet.

So it looks as if they've taken the opportunity to roll out FTTP to the houses in the village, just not all of the houses in the village, which is the puzzling thing.
Standard User dect
(member) Sun 14-Apr-19 22:38:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by ohpohp:
They did however place one on our neighbours pole, that serves just my neighbour.
Did they fit a connectorised block terminal (aka CBT) on your neighbour's pole? if so its likely to have more than a single port, not sure if the smallest is 2 or 4 ports (someone else maybe able to confirm).
Standard User ohpohp
(newbie) Mon 15-Apr-19 08:32:20
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

There's a 4 port block for my neighbours pole. Most of the other poles have 4 ports, but there's one 8 port one.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Apr-19 09:09:47
Print Post

So how many manifolds?

This sounds too many for a FoD deployment and may be a BDUK rollout

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dect
(member) Mon 15-Apr-19 10:24:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Andrew, do you think it would be possible for the OP to be connected to the CBT on his neighbour's pole (if its within reaching distance) as his neighbour's pole only serves 1 property and there is a 4 port CBT on it?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Apr-19 10:43:14
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

IF the distance and safety criteria involved is fine then physically possible, but generally doing this moving someone to a different DP is not done.

This for all anyone knows at this time might be a part built roll-out with more due when teams are back in area again

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dect
(member) Mon 15-Apr-19 10:53:49
Print Post

Maybe worth checking with your local BDUK team to see if this infrastructure installation has been paid for by them and if it is are there any plans for your pole/property to be done.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to