General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chriscdotcodotuk
(newbie) Mon 29-Apr-19 14:11:52
Print Post

How to find out more info from Open Reach?

[link to this post]

There are a number of threads on here where people are seemingly finding some great information from OR about what is available and what will be available soon but I'm not sure where people are getting this seemingly insider information. Maybe it really is insider information and they can't share resources.

I'm looking at getting a faster connection in the ME9 9PW postcode area and all searches seem to show that the best I can get is ~40mb.

I've had a reply from Cerberus that puts a FTTPod cost at around £20k. I can't justify this for a home connection but was wondering if anyone had any additional insight in other plans underway.

I'm seriously considering a line-of-sight link to a family member

Any useful URL's to check?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Apr-19 14:47:45
Print Post

Re: How to find out more info from Open Reach?

[re: chriscdotcodotuk] [link to this post]

Sittingbourne not in the current FibreFirst plans and my bet would be on it not being so for at least a couple of years, would say this is as likely a getting Virgin Media expand down the road towards you.

Cabinet is too far away for Gfast to be any use and from just a quick look at a map the aggregation node is around 1 to 2km away hence the FoD pricing.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 29-Apr-19 15:08:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, I've tried asking some contacts at VM if they can see anything on the next 2-3 year road map for their expansion but they're saying it's looking unlikely.

I have family who are able to receive the top VM package and it'll require a 20ft pole on each property to get line of sight but I think it's the only logical next step unfortunately.

Thanks for checking what you've checked.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Apr-19 15:30:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by chriscdotcodotuk:
Thanks, I've tried asking some contacts at VM if they can see anything on the next 2-3 year road map for their expansion but they're saying it's looking unlikely.

I have family who are able to receive the top VM package and it'll require a 20ft pole on each property to get line of sight but I think it's the only logical next step unfortunately.

Thanks for checking what you've checked.

You might need planning permission to do that. The information that OR give, may not always be correct as well (well in my case there seems to be differing dates for fttp) ..
(newbie) Mon 29-Apr-19 15:36:18
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

I've had large antennas up at my current property and understand the planning requirements. I need to do a better (more accurate) calculation for line of sight as at the moment I fear I've missed something out. I dont fancy spending £2000 on kit just to find it will not work.

Thanks though.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Apr-19 15:41:13
Print Post

MIght you be better off getting a second VDSL2 line installed and bonding them, or just load balancing or even simpler, keep one for things like TV streaming and another for gaming or whatever

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User danielhyde
(newbie) Mon 29-Apr-19 16:50:16
Print Post

I've had large antennas up at my current property and understand the planning requirements. I need to do a better (more accurate) calculation for line of sight as at the moment I fear I've missed something out. I dont fancy spending £2000 on kit just to find it will not work.

Thanks though.

How large is the distance?
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Mon 29-Apr-19 17:20:21
Print Post

I dont fancy spending £2000 on kit just to find it will not work.

Ubiquiti Airfibre? Something else?
Standard User danielhyde
(learned) Tue 30-Apr-19 09:04:58
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
I dont fancy spending £2000 on kit just to find it will not work.

Ubiquiti Airfibre? Something else?

I was going to suggest Ubiquiti depending on the distance.
I've been installing them recently for customers and getting good speed over reasonable distances.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 30-Apr-19 10:14:19
Print Post

What's your reception like on Three? They do an unlimited (1TB) Sim for £21 to £27 a month depending on current offers, quite a lot are switching to using that, see the mobile forum on here for more info.

Its probably no good for gaming, and may have CGNat, so depending on your use may not be an option.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to