General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User celad2001
(learned) Mon 01-Jun-20 15:16:13
Print Post

Re: Exmouth 1Gb Fibre Network(New website with packages)

[re: jparnell82] [link to this post]

looks like they are taking the easy places to serve, new and existing overhead lines (marlpool hill) and newer estates without blocked ducts, my estate has phone lines buried in the pavements smile so i cant imagine we will get fibre.anytime soon , and ever by jurassic.
25m and falling...
Standard User jparnell82
(regular) Mon 01-Jun-20 21:01:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Once someone sees availability can they prod me, and will see if can get the footprint figured out.

I've been emailed to say Jurassic is available to me
Standard User mrbaba
(newbie) Tue 02-Jun-20 10:45:26
Print Post

[re: jparnell82] [link to this post]

That’s good news, they’re making good progress around here.
I’ve heard August is our areas go live date.

The prices may be a touch higher than some other FTTP providers, but for a reliable and fast connection, that’s available locally, I feel it’s worth the price they’re asking.
Headline speeds aren’t everything (latency, jitter and reliability all comes into it too).

Pretty sure we’ll be going for their 500mbps package.
Which tier is everyone else thinking?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Jun-20 17:30:17
Print Post

[re: threelegs] [link to this post]

50/10 for £35/month is definitely poor value for most consumers - for £35/month you've got to be at least competitive with 80/20 FTTC. Still it's currently irrelevant for me because I'm outside the Phase 1 Exmouth rollout by about 100m ... I'm a bit of a pessimist and will be somewhat surprised if I ever get it.
Standard User mrbaba
(newbie) Thu 02-Jul-20 22:15:57
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

JF have reshuffled their prices and offerings.
Most tiers offer better deals than before:
https://i.imgur.com/CnltRCP.jpg

Edited by mrbaba (Thu 02-Jul-20 22:16:14)

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Jul-20 09:43:03
Print Post

[re: mrbaba] [link to this post]

Much better pricing to compete with FTTC, maybe the 30/10 bottom tier is designed to make customers select the 100/20 £35 tier?
Standard User mrbaba
(newbie) Wed 08-Jul-20 11:49:01
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

Agreed, at the new prcing, I would imagine a lot more will be tempted.

I would hazard a guess that the average household would move over when they're having issues with their current internet and look/ask others what their other options might be.

Either way, it's a good change to kick off their largest roll out so far.

I've also seen August or September-October time frames floated around, as dates for availibilty, I'm hoping for the former than the latter.

It would be great to hear anyones feedback once they've gone live, as I've seen a few in the Town are able to be installed already.
Standard User audiodud
(newbie) Sat 25-Jul-20 19:36:40
Print Post

[re: mrbaba] [link to this post]

I'm in Exmouth close to the Quay and had my fibre installed about 10 days ago.

I initially ordered the £35 50/10 package, but within two days that had improved to 100/20 and I actually get about 120/25. I assumed that there would be a speed increase in the fullness of time which is why I picked the cheapest package, and I obviously chose the right moment to order.

They supplied a Huawei router which strangely for the time being, you have no direct admin access to change any settings, but you can call support and they can change the settings from the mother ship. (Bit spooky). They are developing an app though which should be ready September/October time and then changes to the router can be made from that. The installers did say they were looking into another brand of router, but didn't say which.

The guys who installed the fibre also said they had been very busy installing in places like Aylesbear and Farringdon which up to now had little or no internet connectivity, so the rural areas appear to be the most enthusiastic at the moment.

So no complaints at all so far, well it's only been a few days, but I was just keen to support a local business and I will be leaving Plusnet at the end of the month who in all fairness have been fine, and I'm now grappling with porting my home number over to a voip service.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Jul-20 00:01:36
Print Post

[re: audiodud] [link to this post]

Do they allow you to use your own router?

I could never subscribe to a broadband service that was locked to a router that I had to call support to make changes to.

Do you happen to know the model of the Huawei? Should be written on a sticker on the rear of the unit.
It might be an ONT/router which would explain why it's locked down.
Standard User audiodud
(newbie) Sun 26-Jul-20 12:43:55
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

I don't honestly know if they would allow you use your own router; my own Asus router was not suitable anyway, but I would just call them to find out.

I get the impression that this is early days in their evolution and perhaps they are trying to do something a little different with the app to change router settings, but I appreciate that this could turn out to be a bit limited in it's scope and may put some people off.

The model of router supplied is an EchoLife HG8245W5-8T. GPON Terminal.

Edited by audiodud (Sun 26-Jul-20 12:56:06)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to