General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mrbaba
(learned) Mon 27-Jul-20 11:26:09
Print Post

Re: Exmouth 1Gb Fibre Network(New website with packages)

[re: audiodud] [link to this post]

Thanks for the update, good news on the over provisioning.

The other provider is likely to be Nokia.

I have heard they'll let you use bridge mode, which sort of turns their Huawei box into a modem and lets you connect your own router up via PPPoE/ethernet cable.

That would get round any of the lack of web admin access issue, but will be capped to about 930-940mbps.

There's also been mention of them offering a Unifi mesh option at install, if your house isn't getting great signal. So that's likely using a similar setup.

Edited by mrbaba (Mon 27-Jul-20 11:27:24)

Standard User audiodud
(newbie) Mon 27-Jul-20 12:55:17
Print Post

[re: mrbaba] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mrbaba:
I have heard they'll let you use bridge mode, which sort of turns their Huawei box into a modem and lets you connect your own router up via PPPoE/ethernet cable.

There's also been mention of them offering a Unifi mesh option at install, if your house isn't getting great signal. So that's likely using a similar setup.

I now remember that they tentatively suggested I could plug my router into theirs' with the arrangement you describe above when I questioned them about the use of my own router.

They didn't offer any mesh system at the time of install, but my new higher speed, up from about 35Mbps with Plusnet, did highlight the shortcomings of the powerline set-up I was using around the house, so I went out and bought a BT Whole Home Wifi.

Unlike some "mesh" systems, your first node is not a replacement for your router, it merely connects by ethernet to the router and acts as the first link in the chain. You then add two more of the "dish-like" nodes around the house to complete the coverage and in fact at that point, you could turn off the WiFi in the router as the Whole Home WiFi performs all WiFi duties, including a guest network should you need this facility. So with this setup, I achieve around 700Mbps around the house, I think. I've never been quite sure of the best way to measure this.

There is a BT app which in theory helps with the set-up and placing of the nodes, but in practice, a quirk of it actually hindered things and I had to "trick" it into finishing the process. Apart from that, the app is useful and works pretty well for configuring some settings and also shows you what is connected to which node.
Standard User mrbaba
(learned) Tue 28-Jul-20 14:13:56
Print Post

Your Mesh setup sounds great.
We’re running some Unifi access points and router, hence why I’m interested in finding out any info on using your own router.

How’re you finding the connection? Nice and stable?
Have you run any speed tests? Is the speed constant throughout the day?
I’ve heard the installers are very good, which is great to hear.
Now just to wait until they’re live for us.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User audiodud
(newbie) Tue 28-Jul-20 14:59:18
Print Post

[re: mrbaba] [link to this post]

Internet speed appears to be pretty consistent throughout the day which in reality is usually about 120/23, so a generous amount of over provision on Jurassics' part.

In the next couple of days, I hope to finish the transfer of my phone number from Plusnet to Sipgate so then I have no need for a phone line, but there could be some technical hurdles on Jurassics' side. The router they provide does have a couple of RJ11 phone sockets which I thought implied that it could handle the Sipgate settings from within the router. Unfortunately, this is not so but I believe in the future Jurassic will offer their own VoIP service and I suppose then, the sockets on the router will come into their own.

So I told them that I was purchasing an "Analogue Telephone Adaptor" which sits between the router and the telephone. I gave Jurassic the details of which model, Grandstream HT802, and Sipgate provide the appropriate settings to put into the ATA. Support at Jurassic were not even sure if this would work either which is somewhat strange as many people these days swap over to voip using this method, so I don't know what is different about Jurassic in this respect. I could use a dedicated voip phone which would plug straight into the router, but they are quite expensive especially if you need a few cordless phones around the house, thus using my current analogue phones are certainly a cheaper option.

I'll post again when this is completed; successfully or not.
Standard User audiodud
(newbie) Thu 30-Jul-20 16:02:51
Print Post

Just a quick update to say I managed to configure Grandstream ATA, albeit with a couple of attempts, and my analogue cordless phone is now working with my Voip provider, Sipgate.

There are a fair few settings that need to be entered into the Grandstream, and there are probably twice as many actual settings available that don't need to be addressed and somewhat confuse the process, but ultimately there were no further problems regarding the Jurassic Fibre supplied router which their support implied there might be.
Standard User Highland76
(member) Thu 30-Jul-20 16:38:18
Print Post

I have the Grandstream HT 801 (single port ATA) and I only had to change 3-4 fields in the settings to get Sipgate working. Took less than 2 mins to set it up.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User audiodud
(newbie) Thu 30-Jul-20 17:02:32
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

I suspect your speed of entering the settings is merely proof of your greater IT expertise. This is my first step into Voip land and I barely understand what any of these settings mean. I just counted fourteen settings from the information on the Sipgate website that either needed just checking or changing, and as I mentioned, I didn't get things working the first time around, and, I've just noticed another setting that I've entered incorrectly, so I'll change that in a minute.
Standard User mrbaba
(learned) Thu 30-Jul-20 21:28:22
Print Post

Well done on sorting out your VOIP setup.

Like buses, Exmouth is also on BT’s FTTP rural rollout list - https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8797-openreach-a...

Within the next 3 years they should be rolling out fibre as well as Jurassic.
Always good to have some competition and choice around.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to