General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 1nfern0
(learned) Fri 24-May-19 13:27:09
Print Post

FTTPoD sigle Vs Multi thread speed issue

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've had FTTPoD installed for a couple of months now and have an issue where my Single speed thread is about a 3rd of my multithread speed test.

My Broadband Speed Test

I've had a ticket raised with Cerberus for a couple of weeks now but currently they can't pinpoint a reason after checking the circuit, resetting it and increasing the bandwidth available.

I've tested on multiple laptops both over my wired LAN via a router and also connected directly to the ONT. I've reset the network stacks on both laptops and checked that the network adaptor is set to 1Gbs

They have suggested an issue at my end and the next course would be an openreach visit but if nothing is found would be chargeable so I'm hoping there could be something I'm missing before going down that route.

Any ideas?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 24-May-19 13:50:39
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD sigle Vs Multi thread speed issue

[re: 1nfern0] [link to this post]

Will be nothing to do with Openreach.

Is the difference between the two speeds consistent across the time of day? i.e. if it is a lot better at night then suggests congestion/contention an issue somewhere

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 1nfern0
(learned) Fri 24-May-19 13:57:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Will be nothing to do with Openreach.

Is the difference between the two speeds consistent across the time of day? i.e. if it is a lot better at night then suggests congestion/contention an issue somewhere

Thats what I thought initially but I've tested at all times of day, evening and night. it's consistently sitting around 115 - 120. Cerberus support have also said they have ruled out contention.
I thought it may be a network adaptor issue but I've tested on different laptops, albeit they're both dell and as a wildcard, tested on my Xbox browser. same results.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-May-19 15:04:24
Print Post

Do you get the same results on Speedtest.net using the single thread option? Try a few different servers (hosts) to get confirmation. If single thread results there are ok, then nothing wrong with your connection, just that your line routing to TBB servers has issues. Btw I also never get more than 150 Mbps on the TBB tester yet nearly every Ookla speedtest server gives me > 250 Mbps on the single thread test. Not worth losing any sleep over smile

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User 1nfern0
(learned) Fri 24-May-19 15:36:02
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Do you get the same results on Speedtest.net using the single thread option? Try a few different servers (hosts) to get confirmation. If single thread results there are ok, then nothing wrong with your connection, just that your line routing to TBB servers has issues. Btw I also never get more than 150 Mbps on the TBB tester yet nearly every Ookla speedtest server gives me > 250 Mbps on the single thread test. Not worth losing any sleep over smile

I get similar results from speedtest, actually marginally less than TBB tester but not worth worrying about.
I've also done an 8Gb file test over FFP with Cerberus support which also gave the same output with Filezilla.
I could live with routing issues and 250Mbps.
To me this seems like a circuit issue rather than an issue with the ONT and cabling given how artificially it seems pegged around 120Mbps
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-May-19 15:45:05
Print Post

These are results on my 330 Mbps FTTPoD line, though I'm with Fluidone, not Cerberus:

TBB:

My Broadband Speed Test

speedtest.net single thread:
https://www.speedtest.net/result/8282694848.png

speedtest.net multi thread:
https://www.speedtest.net/result/8282702343.png

Might be worth asking Cerberus if they can do a Nuttcp test on your line?

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Fri 24-May-19 18:29:09
Print Post

That result looks rather odd.

For comparison, I'm with Cerberus Networks on SDESTBR exchange (FTTPoD 330/30 recently installed, more than one month ago).

My Broadband Speed Test

Single Thread: https://www.speedtest.net/result/8282972079.png

- Upstream speed may seem a little odd on this test but I guess it may have been something using it on my connection at the time I did the test.

Multiple Threads: https://www.speedtest.net/result/8282974434.png

I'm using a FireBrick 2900 with a shaper applied of 267M / 24M.

Edited by Ixel (Fri 24-May-19 18:30:42)

Standard User TechServ
(learned) Fri 24-May-19 19:48:35
Print Post

What router are you using?
Standard User 1nfern0
(learned) Fri 24-May-19 19:58:15
Print Post

[re: TechServ] [link to this post]

I use an ubiquiti Amplifi but have also tested with a Netgear and also directly connected to the ONT. All yield the same results.
I'm trying to eliminate any hardware issue on my side but short of the network adaptor in 2 laptops and my xbox there isn't anything else it could be. I suppose I could switch then network cable on the ONT, just in case, but lets be honest that doubtful smile
Standard User 1nfern0
(learned) Fri 24-May-19 19:59:20
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
These are results on my 330 Mbps FTTPoD line, though I'm with Fluidone, not Cerberus:

TBB:

My Broadband Speed Test

speedtest.net single thread:
https://www.speedtest.net/result/8282694848.png

speedtest.net multi thread:
https://www.speedtest.net/result/8282702343.png

Might be worth asking Cerberus if they can do a Nuttcp test on your line?

What would a Nuttcp test tell me? I'm not familar with this. I'll add it to my support ticket though. Can't hurt.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to